Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you live?
The City of Atlanta (proper) 62 37.13%
Atlanta Suburb (but ITP) 16 9.58%
OTP 75 44.91%
Outside the Metro Atlanta Area 14 8.38%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM

225 posts, read 368,829 times

Advertisements

I am ITP proper resident lol.

I live on Huff Road in West Midtown. I have been in the city proper since I started college.[the past three and half years.] I have been in West Midtown since June. The only thing I hate about it is NO TRAIN and Northside Drive during the hours of 4-6. However; I am thinking about moving closer to peachtree street/Midtown next month. My experience has been pretty cool so far. I have explored the city since Day 1 and still have not seen everything yet. I love the convenience of everything at your disposal. I love putting 5 dollars in the tank and still have some gas left over lol. [life of a college student]. The only crime that I have experienced since living in the city was my car got broken into a couple of times. They actually tried to steal my car twice [ pop my keyhole out the passenger door and ripped my ignition cover off] in same local. [I had money and everything in the car but he/she/they didn't touch it] That was a bummer but I can't change it. But I did change my leaving possessions anywhere habit.

I enjoy the city and never see myself going to the suburbs, even in a later life. The suburbs was my dwellings for 17.5 years. I will never go back due to the fact of suburbia being boring, bland, generic, too much traveling, the same thing. This is the speculation of suburbanites where I grew up. Monday: Make sure your children are awake at 6:30. Make breakfast/coffee if you have time. Start getting ready for work around 7:00 for women and 7:30 for men. Leave the house that look like another house 5 houses down around 8:00. get stuck in traffic about 8:15 a.m. Curse and swear around 8:20 abut infrastructural problems on the highways, people cant drive, you not letting anybody over because you need to get to work, and complain that nobody letting you over because you need to get to work. Stay in traffic for about 10 to 20 more minutes. Get to work about 9:00 am. Grab Lunch around 12/1, get stuck in traffic again. Leave around 5:00. Stay in Traffic for a good 30 Minutes Again. On the way home pick up something up until it times to cook about 6 something. cook around 7:30/8. . . . sleep 10/11/12 if favorite shows on. . . . Friday: leave a little early from work. Mow lawn so You can sleep in on Saturday. If the neighbors not mowing, get the portion that across from your lawn. Saturday: Sleep all day. Sunday: church morning, after church going to local resturant w/ family or church member(s) if applicable. Watch Sunday Night football for men. Women start cooking / watching lifetime if not favorite team/ and talking on the phone. restarts on Monday . . . . . . . . . . . continues continues continues continues = boring life for the next 10 -24 years lol . . then it was Houston Texas, extra boring.

Obviously this not everybody in the suburbs but hey lol.

Catch the train for the most part. Walk to any restaurant/club/bar/lounge in a 3 miles (my limit lol) radius. Hear people talk about the amazing view you have. Walk to parks. Instagram your moments. Go shopping, If not in the area catch the train to the three most important malls/3 most important outdoor malls in the area. yeah I would take city life lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
If the 20 something's aren't yuppies making 60k+ a year and/or have no problem with roommates then of course they won't live in midtown or downtown due to the inflated rate prices. Atlanta isn't cool, walkable, emenity rich or fun enough to live like a bum just to be intown like Chicago for example.
Please, I beg of you, never bring up Chicago in this forum. Please, never again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
You left out the two most important pieces of information: where your workplace is and where the people you talked to live.

If I was still in my 20s I would have no desire to live Downtown or Midtown. Actually, I would never desire to live Downtown or Midtown. As a 20-something, I would rather live in Candler Park, Inman Park/L5P, Cabbagetown, EAV, some parts of Old Fourth Ward, Poncey-Highland, Castleberry Hill (maybe), Grant Park, some parts of Edgewood, certain parts of Va-Hi, and less likely but still possible: Decatur (city), Kirkwood, East Lake, Lake Claire, Ormewood.
Emory University Hospital. I'm not very familiar with specific neighborhoods. Several places were mentioned. Most, I'm not familiar with: Smyrna & Sandy Springs were two names that rang out.

Why would you never desire to live downtown or midtown? And why the places that you listed?

Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,288,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post

Emory University Hospital. I'm not very familiar with specific neighborhoods. Several places were mentioned. Most, I'm not familiar with: Smyrna & Sandy Springs were two names that rang out.

Why would you never desire to live downtown or midtown? And why the places that you listed?
I can see the appeal of Smyrna and Sandy springs for families, but I'm lost as to why any 20-something would want to live there. Now, Dunwoody, I could see the appeal of that, even though I would never live there.

Downtown doesn't have much going on in the evenings and there's not good enough access to basic necessities like groceries, although that is slowly improving. I work downtown, so I wouldn;t want to spend my whole life there.

Midtown is too slick for me, although some parts might suit me, such as the parts between Ponce and the park.

The places I listed are either areas I have lived and enjoyed, or are close to the things I like to do. Walkable to restaurants, shopping, parks, festivals, etc. Very short drive to live music venues.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:23 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,551 times
Quote:
I can see the appeal of Smyrna and Sandy springs for families, but I'm lost as to why any 20-something would want to live there. Now, Dunwoody, I could see the appeal of that, even though I would never live there.

Downtown doesn't have much going on in the evenings and there's not good enough access to basic necessities like groceries, although that is slowly improving. I work downtown, so I wouldn;t want to spend my whole life there.

Midtown is too slick for me, although some parts might suit me, such as the parts between Ponce and the park.

The places I listed are either areas I have lived and enjoyed, or are close to the things I like to do. Walkable to restaurants, shopping, parks, festivals, etc. Very short drive to live music venues.
I would say that the answer to that is vigor. They have the vitality to put up with long commutes to the happy spot, and back again. These people spoke very fondly of being able to return to quiet, green neighborhoods. Most chuckled when I asked if they are quiet and courteous neighbors.

Knuckle-headed me. I forgot to mention, most of these people are married, or in committed relationships, despite their age. None of them have children. Too early in their careers. I'm glad that you mentioned Dunwoody. One person in particular raved about it.

Of the people who do live in midtown, they compensate for the lack of convenient grocery shopping by stopping some place after work. Most agreed, they eat out quite often.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSides View Post
Of the people who do live in midtown, they compensate for the lack of convenient grocery shopping by stopping some place after work. Most agreed, they eat out quite often.
Hmm. I live in Midtown, and grocery shopping is pretty darn convenient. Ansley Mall has two groceries, a Whole Foods on Ponce, Publix on W. Peachtree and others. Now, downtown denizens do lack for convenient grocery shopping.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
Hmm. I live in Midtown, and grocery shopping is pretty darn convenient. Ansley Mall has two groceries, a Whole Foods on Ponce, Publix on W. Peachtree and others. Now, downtown denizens do lack for convenient grocery shopping.
I guess the closest grocery stor to downtown is Publix on Piedmont/North, and there's also the Curb Market, but their hours are very limited. After I made my last post I rememebred one more major reason why I couldn't live in downtown: It's too difficult to have a dog if you live in a condo tower.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:41 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
The problem is that it is extremely common for people in the far suburbs to be hostile towards the city, while at the same time reaping the benefits of its existence. They refuse to accept that both the city and the metro area benefit from each other. That's disgusting to me, and if that's hostile, too bad.
Most of the folks who live in the suburbs are not exurban. That's why I don't fully understand the attitude some ITPers display towards OTP. I live only a few miles away from the city, and I like the city for what it is, so why not have a reciprocal attitude?

Old 11-28-2012, 11:50 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Most of the folks who live in the suburbs are not exurban. That's why I don't fully understand the attitude some ITPers display towards OTP. I live only a few miles away from the city, and I like the city for what it is, so why not have a reciprocal attitude?
There is a huge difference between, say, Tucker, and Buford. Both OTP, but there are very few similarities. Creative Loafing is largely to blame for the ITP/OTP rift. They've stoked that fire relentlessly, and continue to.

Also, a large part of the problem is that the city and the rest of the state are complete opposites politically. The city is tired of all the politicians from rural areas of the state calling the shots for them. And rightfully so.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:48 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
There is a huge difference between, say, Tucker, and Buford. Both OTP, but there are very few similarities. Creative Loafing is largely to blame for the ITP/OTP rift. They've stoked that fire relentlessly, and continue to.
Yes, they have. I see a huge difference between areas just in Cobb County. Compare my area of southeast Cobb politically and demographically to East Cobb, and you'll find similar differences.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:40 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Smyrna is more like ITP than a lot of places that are ITP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta