Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:21 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,882,906 times

Advertisements

Novare Tower Will Have Active Uses Along Entirety of Juniper - Midtown, GA Patch

Quote:
The developers of a Midtown project known as “100 6th Street’’ are set to present revised plans for their 23-story 320-unit luxury apartment community to the Midtown Development Committee (DRC) next week.
In May, Jim Borders, president of Novare Group, which along with Batson-Cook Development Co. is planning to build the mixed-use tower along Juniper Street between 6th and 7th streets, presented a plan to DRC that included seven variances, six of which were approved at the meeting.
After hearing comments from the DRC, as well as from concerned Midtown residents, Borders and his team will present a revised urban design plan next Tuesday that that they feel will be beneficial to the Midtown community.
Patch has learned that this includes active uses along the entirety of Juniper St., and street-level retail turning the corner at Juniper and 7th into a linear park and dog park on 7th.
thank goodness. juniper street has been preserved as a real street unto itself rather than another 'back door' for peachtree. it's great that novarre took the public backlash into account and decided to do what's right for the city's urban development rather than their bottom line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 11:40 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,071,040 times
A dog park will be a great amenity for the people living there.

I know Luxe has a neat little courtyard type area off street level that people can walk dogs around.

I remember at 1010, I asked the question, "so where can you walk your dog around here?" They didn't really have an answer.

Places to walk dogs are extremely important to a lot of people. And a dog park, well, that's even better.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:14 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
That's great that Novare changed its plans and listened to the community. Dog parks are becoming a staple in urban landscapes as evident here How Dogs Saved a Los Angeles Neighborhood - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities Puts more people and eyes on the streets to reduce crime. What a great compromise by a developer.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:47 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,251 times
As a resident of that block, I would have loved more dog walking space. It seems there are already lots of non-residents using the small greenspace at Viewpoint which wouldn't be a problem except a lot of them don't seem to believe in picking up after their dogs. It could well be residents as well but that small strip of grass is like a minefield it's so littered w/ poop. My Yorkie's also managed to get fleas walking back there despite Frontline and weekly baths.

The question I have is will 7th St be accessible from Viewpoint? Right now, the Juniper/5th/W Peachtree Route to 75/85 N adds like 5 min to trip times b/c of the poorly calibrated light at 5th St (both sides go red waiting for the no longer used bus lane from the GT B-School). Being able to go 7th straight to Peachtree or down past Spire would be a huge boon.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:16 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,891,209 times
Quote:
The question I have is will 7th St be accessible from Viewpoint? Right now, the Juniper/5th/W Peachtree Route to 75/85 N adds like 5 min to trip times b/c of the poorly calibrated light at 5th St (both sides go red waiting for the no longer used bus lane from the GT B-School).
Report to Atlanta public works. They will retime the lights.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:34 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,947,718 times
Confused ... Is this on the backside of the old Backstreet / Armory block or the backside of Bulldog's block? Or neither?

Old 06-12-2012, 03:10 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,351,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Confused ... Is this on the backside of the old Backstreet / Armory block or the backside of Bulldog's block? Or neither?
Backstreet/Armory/Loca Luna. New apartment building is going up where the Loca Luna building is still standing. The new parking deck will be covering the current landscaped area behind Viewpoint and the area surrounded by the brown fence.

Not sure what they could put in the Bulldog/Azio/Lime Fresh/Noodle/TMobile block as occupancy seems decent and I'm sure it'd be an expensive parcel to develop.

Old 06-12-2012, 03:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,071,040 times
Great article.

It's true. I know so many people in my neighborhood, and it's because I walk my dog at least a couple of times per day.

If I didn't do that, I'd probably only know the people directly on either side of me. If I had a big fenced in yard, I would certainly be tempted to just open the door and let her go out, but instead I take her on long walks around the neighborhood and know people all up and down the street because of it.

I don't know if there is a scientific correlation, but people who take their dogs on regular walks seem to be outgoing and friendly.

Old 06-12-2012, 06:03 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,829,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
It's true. I know so many people in my neighborhood, and it's because I walk my dog at least a couple of times per day.

If I didn't do that, I'd probably only know the people directly on either side of me. If I had a big fenced in yard, I would certainly be tempted to just open the door and let her go out, but instead I take her on long walks around the neighborhood and know people all up and down the street because of it.

I don't know if there is a scientific correlation, but people who take their dogs on regular walks seem to be outgoing and friendly.
Dogs have a huge positive influence on human society. If you love and take care of your dog she'll give it back to you and everyone else around her many times over.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:24 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,026,583 times
New rendering of Skyhouse finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: