Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 12:43 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert E View Post
Smarter? I only know I know nothing.
Do you think atheists are smarter than believers?
If I may interject, I don't think it's a question of being "smarter". I think it's about simply accepting a belief-system one was born into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2024, 01:22 PM

Quote:
All of us are born into a culture, it is unavoidable.
Some cultures are better than others.

Do you have a belief system that is not entirely based on reason?
Many of us were born into a 'christian culture'. Yet, many of us have become Buddhists or atheists or other spiritual belief systems. One isn't locked in...at least not in this country.

You want to know my belief system...go to my blog section. I make it clear what type of Buddhism I practice.

Old 04-09-2024, 01:24 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Smarter? I only know I know nothing.
Do you think atheists are smarter than believers?
People that claim something as fact, when in reality they have no way of proving or disproving it, are just ignorant, in my opinion. I believe in God, personally. But I don't claim it as fact that He exists.

Old 04-09-2024, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
People that claim something as fact, when in reality they have no way of proving or disproving it, are just ignorant, in my opinion. I believe in God, personally. But I don't claim it as fact that He exists.
I would say foolish instead of ignorant.

Old 04-09-2024, 05:22 PM

422 posts, read 159,431 times
I'm in my mid 30s, so still pretty young. However, I will say I have grown increasingly repelled by religion as I have grown older, not the other way around.

In my childhood and teens I tried being a Christian as I was raised to be so. I never enjoyed any of it. On Sunday mornings I'd rather be anywhere other than listening to those boring sermons. I am darn well near immune to whatever makes people feel things in church because I never felt a thing no matter how hard I tried.

Gradually I was woken up to how I had no reason to believe any of it to begin with. In my early 20s I finally completely broke out of Christianity and any theistic beliefs.

I can't tell you the future, but I don't see myself ever becoming religious. If not just because it's against my nature. As I said, whatever people experience in church just doesn't work for me. I realized I had no reason to believe pretty thoroughly. Even if I were given reason to believe, I wouldn't be given reason to go to church and "worship". I find the God of the Bible to be completely and totally despicable, immoral. And I have enough experience with churches nowadays to also know I don't want a single thing to do with them, their churchgoers, and the depraved orange God that they now worship.

I am not a perfect skeptic, I can be swayed by emotions here and there. That's why I posted that last bit... because not only rationally, but emotionally I'm completely repelled from Christianity, which is the dominant religion in my country (and I don't see me ever living somewhere with a different dominant religion, just speaking in terms of chances. Although I hope very much that nonbelief becomes the majority soon).

I think us younger generations may buck the trend on getting more religious as they get older. I don't put much faith in my generation or younger generations, but hopefully they'll at least continue to move away from religion.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:10 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I never fell for the religion taught by my Catholic upbringing, and now at 71 I'm still a non-believer. Of my 6 siblings, 5 are the same as me, one has always been religious. The other outlier is an older brother who at about age 68 suddenly started to do religious posts on social media, and with his past history, that is totally out of character. I have no idea what happened to change him, or if he actually goes to church. I only see him 1-2 times a year at family gatherings and then we avoid discussions of politics and religion.

Old 04-10-2024, 07:37 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
To me, the biggest thing in me not being religious as I get older is watching more quickly mankind has progressed.

I graduated high school in 2004. Look at how quickly technology has changed since then. Back then, cell phones were uncommon. The ones we had were extremely primitive. Something like ChatGPT would have seemed like science fiction.

Meanwhile, culture has regressed. There are so many legal and government decisions that are basically legislating morality, as defined by the religion of the party making those decisions, that it's difficult to keep up with these days. In a nation increasingly of "nones," major life decisions and government decisions are increasingly be defined by religious ideology.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:56 AM

1,687 posts, read 1,268,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
To me, the biggest thing in me not being religious as I get older is watching more quickly mankind has progressed.

I graduated high school in 2004. Look at how quickly technology has changed since then. Back then, cell phones were uncommon. The ones we had were extremely primitive. Something like ChatGPT would have seemed like science fiction.

Meanwhile, culture has regressed. There are so many legal and government decisions that are basically legislating morality, as defined by the religion of the party making those decisions, that it's difficult to keep up with these days. In a nation increasingly of "nones," major life decisions and government decisions are increasingly be defined by religious ideology.
And you see the progression as a good thing?

What I see is high levels of anxiety, depression, and suicide amongst our teens. Levels that were unthinkable 20 years ago. Mainly this is caused by social media. https://healthcare.utah.edu/healthfe...d%20behaviors.

https://prcp.psychiatryonline.org/do....prcp.20190015

Or what about AI? Sure ChatGPT is fun to use right now, and surely has some positive effects. But, as usual, they need to keep making it bigger and more powerful. What happens when it is smarter than us? https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...scious-or-not/

My list of how progression is killing our society could go on and on, but I don't have time to sit here and type it all out. But I will say that I long for the days before technology has ruined us as a species. I'll take my flip phone and go talk to my neighbor.

Old 04-10-2024, 08:58 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 92 LSC View Post
Yes it is. At least im not following fables invented by others for masses to follow and invisible man that sends you to hell or heaven.
Your vision/version of the afterlife sounds as good as any, lol. Personally, I welcome total oblivion

Old 04-10-2024, 09:00 AM

5,456 posts, read 3,908,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And that's a fair statement.
You have to be diplomatic to your theistic fellow Arizonan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism