Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 12:58 PM

19,970 posts, read 13,455,445 times

Advertisements

I was neutral about Christmas as a child. My oldest brother and his wife generally took on the burden of putting on the big family celebration and it was mostly warm memories ... they had a piano and organ and some friends who would usually bring flute and accordion (yeah I know) and we'd have a family sing along, a big formal meal, lots of games for the kids, etc. I ultimately found the day a little on the long side for this introvert, but it was still nice.

Thing is, it wasn't substantively different from Thanksgiving, another food fest and sometimes also held at the same place. It was a nice family event but not a contemplative thing for us. The main difference for Christmas was a better selection of songs we didn't sing all the time anyway.

As the years carried on and my family scattered to the winds and life happened, and then the children grew up ... it has evolved to where, like Arq, I hardly notice it. My wife had long just celebrated Thanksgiving and had a quiet Christmas since the visitation agreement with her ex was that she got the kids for Thanksgiving and he got them for Christmas. And I've come to like that ... less pressure for gifts and fancy decorations, still good food, still a nice family gathering. As an additional benefit my stepson has become quite the chef and always does all the cooking.

I'd have to live under a rock not to notice Black Friday come and go, hear the carols at the grocery store (or have that blasted Salvation Army bell-ringer clang in my face as I enter) but mostly Christmas is just a blip on my radar. And because of the hyper-commercialized nature of the holiday, it's not much missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 01:05 PM

578 posts, read 300,440 times
Christmas is more commercial than religious. It’s not in the Bible. Let all spend and enjoy the time off.

Old 12-14-2023, 03:33 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Nobody pronounces the "t" in Christmas anyway. So the holiday might as well celebrate the birth of Chris from accounting.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:07 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,536,146 times
I’m a fan of a midnight mass in a traditionalist Catholic Church. Alternatively, a sing-along Messiah (even though Xmas is the wrong holiday), especially with loud, brassy brass that Handel didn’t write or imagine. Or 37th St. in Austin (if they’re still doing it, I moved away in New Year’s 1999…I could see what Austin was gonna be before most people, but I digress).

And now the grandtwins are still a couple of years from having the last scales lifted from their eyes, so it’s special to be in their company on the morning of the 25th, then gorge on imported chocolate oranges from somewhere in the British Isles.

Old 12-14-2023, 06:32 PM

4,598 posts, read 2,990,451 times
I suspect that for most people in this country (even if not 'out' as atheists),
Christ is long-gone from Christmas... it's about buying stuff!
And the family getting together.

Being a senior, I've heard the Xmas tunes for too many years,
and I'm sick of them... especially because they start playing
when we're barely past Halloween ("Little Drummer Boy"
is kind of cool, though).

So basically, Christmas is a winter carnival and a flurry of commerce.
I'm okay with the first, dubious about the second, but not for reasons
that matter in this Atheism forum.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:43 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Some of the expectations of the "Christmas season" like giving to charity, helping others, feeding the homeless, giving gifts to poor children, all seem stupid in the context of a season. Those things are how we should be acting towards others every day. I have been watching a bunch of Disney christmas movies with my 90 year old aunt and the programming is that we have one time of year where we need to learn to be better people, but what happens after boxing day? That is rarely mentioned. I grew up in a family that tried to be christian (2 of my siblings are) but my parents helped people all year long, with no reference to any deity as the reason, and we were not rich so christmas presents were new socks and pajamas and one special toy. We had lots of special foods that were only cooked at winter holiday time and we still have the tradition of that. Fruit cake (half the fruit, twice the pecans - much better), sugar cookies, pumpkin pie and pumpkin bread, etc. People need a reason to take a break and get together with family and friends. So, that is what christmas is for most people in the U.S.

Old 12-15-2023, 09:46 AM

975 posts, read 535,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
I suspect that for most people in this country (even if not 'out' as atheists),
Christ is long-gone from Christmas... it's about buying stuff!
And the family getting together.

Being a senior, I've heard the Xmas tunes for too many years,
and I'm sick of them... especially because they start playing
when we're barely past Halloween ("Little Drummer Boy"
is kind of cool, though).

So basically, Christmas is a winter carnival and a flurry of commerce.
I'm okay with the first, dubious about the second, but not for reasons
that matter in this Atheism forum.
We have a local radio station that has 100 days of christmas, starts playing christmas songs non stop in September.

Old 12-15-2023, 10:23 AM

29,540 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Though I am an atheist and have been for a long time, I've always enjoyed Christmas going back to the days when I was a kid and a believing Christian/Catholic...

I enjoyed it as a kid, and my wife and I very much enjoyed it when our kids were of that age. You get to relive all that "magic" again when later you have kids who count on you to be Santa and all that fun stuff. Still now, I really enjoy Christmas probably most because it means getting together with family. Most typically our two children and now our daughter-in-law who is a delightful relatively recent addition to the family. We're usually together for a few days including Xmas eve and Christmas day, which will also include the best meals we can put together. Breakfast, lunch and dinner. Also always some fun playing games while listening to music. Our son is a real "gamer," and he almost always has a new game to introduce to us that all of us enjoy learning and playing together. Cards, board games. All of which usually bring lots of laughs and fun. I like the holiday music too, but only enough to hear a bit during Christmas. I like all the lights and decorations that appear here and there too. Always appreciate when my wife gets out our decorations throughout the house. Not only for Christmas but Halloween too. Our family tradition has also always included going to see a movie Christmas eve afternoon. Exchanging gifts Christmas morning in front of the fire and with hot chocolate is fun too.

Last Christmas was completely different but a wonderful experience too, because we decided to spend the Christmas holiday in London and then Belgium. My wife and I went onto Wales from there after that. All the holiday decorations everywhere were a real treat to enjoy. Christmas in Bruges is amazing. I've never seen a town more beautiful and at Christmas time, a very special place to visit. This year we're back to staying home.

We don't go to mass or do any praying. We might squeeze in some sort of charity work, but yes, that's a bit of a joke given how we should all do more whether it be the holidays or not. This year the kids are coming to our home for Christmas with their dogs. Which will make four dogs altogether including ours. My wife is a little concerned about the pandemonium this will likely involve. Ours is still a puppy with infinite energy to burn. Not to mention the challenge of trying to keep the house clean with dogs that need to go outside on a regular basis, but she loving the four-leggeds the way she does, I guess "the show will go on" regardless.

We're lucky this way. I'm always sympathetic toward those for whom the holidays is something of a drag. Here's the best we can all muster one way or another! Happy holidays! Or as happy as possible anyway...

Old 12-15-2023, 06:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
The only reason we 'do Christmas' is because my inlaws are devout.

As soon as they are dead I'm done with it.

Old 12-16-2023, 05:03 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Though I am an atheist and have been for a long time, I've always enjoyed Christmas going back to the days when I was a kid and a believing Christian/Catholic...

We're lucky this way. I'm always sympathetic toward those for whom the holidays is something of a drag. Here's the best we can all muster one way or another! Happy holidays! Or as happy as possible anyway...
I always felt sorry for people who cannot find a way to enjoy the Christmas Season because my observation has been that those are usually the same people who do not enjoy much of anything in life.

I think about the three things I enjoyed the most as a kid as Christmas: Getting Presents, having our dad spend a day with us and not acting like a d*ck, and getting to go one night to the Presbyterian church, which was the best church in our town.
I still wonder if we had gone to church there instead of where we did, and I had good experiences instead of bad ones, if I would have stuck with religion instead of opposing it as I do today.

I actually met up with an old high school friend on facebook who attended that church and we talked about it. She is a theist, and says that the focus, for her, has to be on her God, not on religions, but again that is easier for her to say because the pastor there, whom I knew, did not equate himself as god like ours did.

Either way, I love the beauty of the Midnight Mass. It is by far the most beautiful religious serivce of the year.

But yes, I try my best to practice charity year round. There are many organizations dedicated to helping the homeless, as well as education charities which need help year round. I do what I can, but I do more at Christmas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Christmas is more commercial than religious. It’s not in the Bible. Let all spend and enjoy the time off.
And AS I have said, I do not give a Rattus norvegicus' distal alimentary canal opening what is in the Bible (or on it, as we have toilet paper with it printed on each sheet for special occasions) .....

The Holiday is all about what each of us enjoys on our own terms. Whether it is family, food, Midnight Mass, or a day off....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism