Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 09:47 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,736,000 times

Advertisements

I watched a video in post # 70 by Matrices. Mind blogging. Fake news or not. A doctor with his own practice is willing to pick crops in Georgia, just to get away from his own country. And that is NOT North Korea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2022, 12:18 PM

387 posts, read 357,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrices View Post
No, you just can't accept the truth because you identify with the country or culture. Your "pyschological assessment" is as asinine as you are dumb.
Spoken like a true sexpat loser who tried to sexpat in SK and failed

Old 11-28-2022, 05:34 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Well, these Korean visits is one of the BEST that I have ever experienced. The vast majority have only positive encounters with South Korea in particular. And also outside of Seoul. Really enjoy how for a wealthy developed country, there is noticably less English spoken/used than usual. The vast abundance of Wifi Cafes is extremely rare unheard of for Worldwide standards. There is usually affordable deals around. Only South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China are able to offer such a deep Asian Sinosphere atmosphere. Even Thailand, Vietnam might be just a bit lighter form. South Korea is such a nice exotic destination. Not really any complaints. And even work atmosphere isn't nearly as tense or competitive as some might expect.
I have visited some other places in Asia, but never been to Korea. Lately I've been watching a few good TV series from S Korea on Netflix, and suddenly it seems like an interesting place that I would like to visit! I have only known Korea through restaurant visits when I lived in Southern California and from some co-workers that were from Korea.

I like that S. Korea has a good inter-city rail and local transportation system where I would not have to rent a car. The distances between cities don't look too far, and it would be interesting to make a loop from Seoul around the southern half of the peninsula and back.

The title of this thread is overreaching - how can someone put down an entire country and culture based on their limited exposure to a small segment of that country?

Old 11-28-2022, 05:38 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,358,171 times
Quote:
Well, these Korean visits is one of the BEST that I have ever experienced. The vast majority have only positive encounters with South Korea in particular. And also outside of Seoul. Really enjoy how for a wealthy developed country, there is noticably less English spoken/used than usual. The vast abundance of Wifi Cafes is extremely rare unheard of for Worldwide standards. There is usually affordable deals around. Only South Korea, Japan, Taiwan, China are able to offer such a deep Asian Sinosphere atmosphere. Even Thailand, Vietnam might be just a bit lighter form. South Korea is such a nice exotic destination. Not really any complaints. And even work atmosphere isn't nearly as tense or competitive as some might expect.
I have visited some other places in Asia, but never been to Korea. Lately I've been watching a few good TV series from S Korea on Netflix, and suddenly it seems like an interesting place that I would like to visit! I have only known Korea through restaurant visits when I lived in Southern California and from some co-workers that were from Korea.

I like that S. Korea has a good inter-city rail and local transportation system where I would not have to rent a car. The distances between cities don't look too far, and it would be interesting to make a loop from Seoul around the southern half of the peninsula and back.

The title of this thread is an overreach - how can someone put down an entire country and culture based on their limited exposure to a small segment of that country?

Old 11-28-2022, 06:02 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post

The title of this thread is an overreach - how can someone put down an entire country and culture based on their limited exposure to a small segment of that country?
I don't even like Korea but it's clear that OP has a personal vendetta against Korea. Probably dumped/rejected by a Korean or something lol.

Old 11-28-2022, 03:08 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
I think they view your behavior ,speaking in their language ,bowing etc as mocking them,besides Asians lack the same sense of humor as Occidentals.
Why cant you just speak English,you are not Korean?Thats what they are thinking.

Old 11-28-2022, 07:18 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Why, exactly?

When did you go there, and I bet the only reason is the massive cuisine alienation between Japanese+Taiwanese versus SK foods! While finding out later on the 2nd trip, just an absolute shock to the system!, and quite a bit less admiration. Although, I still like South Korea a lot or just minimal to moderate fan.
I don't really care about it either way.

Old 09-29-2023, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 805 times
I don't really know why some people can't just accept that korean kind face are false. I know koreans since 2008 and u know what? S.Korean people makes Kim Jong Un appear like a hero. I would like to erase all the times i've been near them.

Old 09-29-2023, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lahomebuyer1010 View Post
dude you're a visitor that no one asked for. they have no reason to be nice to you. and the fact that you expect that is ignorant. they don't just "bow" at everyone. there's different levels of respect that you earn with age and other relationship
dynamics. koreans are very patriotic and they owe it to no one. they don't always welcome foreigners. Americans especially are viewed as "better off" and it remind them of the struggles they've been through to get where they are. country had nothing in the 80s. so many tragedies. and now here we are with korean entertainment and commodities dominating the market place. they're proud of that and owe it to no one. so you expecting them to reciprocate whatever form of "respect" you gave them is.... naive. disrespectful. learn the history and culture. or just mind your own damn business when you're traveling abroad. and crying about it on here? talk about "emotionally unhealthy people".
Wait, what? Korea is a country with a big dependence of other countries. Any conlict and S.Korea would be damned, so what are you even talking about? Even their energy are dependet on foreigner country. Maybe facing a conflict they would be less full of themselves?

Old 09-29-2023, 10:30 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Could there be issues with American servicemen serving in Korea? Japan has had some serious issues in that regard. It could be one reason for the brush-off the OP describes.

A young friend of mine went to Russia via Seoul, where she had to overnight to catch the connecting flight to her destination. When she was at dinner in a restaurant, a local couple befriended her; they spoke English, or at least--the man did. They told her they had a daughter her age, and proceeded to take her under their wing, gave her their contact info, and spent a charming evening with her. It was amazing! They said, if she ever passed through again overnight, to let them know.

That's my Korea anecdote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia