Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:39 AM

43,652 posts, read 44,375,612 times

Advertisements

IsraAID, an Israeli humanitarian aid organization, is preparing to send a team consisting of medical, trauma and relief professionals to help those affected:
'Massive destruction' as typhoon kills at least 1,200 in Philippines, says Red Cross - World Israel News | Haaretz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 11:08 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
I don't really know why the Red Cross is making such estimates this early on. Certainly its very probable given the gravity of the storm and all, but that doesn't help the morale of those dealing with this disaster. Such estimates might spur more donations though. If you give, be careful who ya give to. They had a shake up a couple years ago with funds missing there. I prefer to give where I know most all the money is going to help people in need.

Old 11-09-2013, 11:56 AM

1,754 posts, read 8,114,730 times
May god bless those people who were affected of this calamities.
Just hold on tight to all my kababayan.

Those who would like to help. visit the red cross Philippines
http://www.redcross.org.ph/

'Supertyphoon Yolanda'
Take Action

Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
If you are looking for someone in the Philippines, or have information about someone in the area, please go to:

Google Person Finder - Typhoon Yolanda - Note that internationally, it is referred to as Typhoon Haiyan - however, locally in the Philippines, it is referred to as Typhoon Yolanda

*** How You Can Help (from USA Today) ***

The American Red Cross

Philippine Red Cross

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP)

AmeriCares

Salvation Army

*** See details for donations:.. How you can help Typhoon Haiyan survivors

Old 11-10-2013, 05:56 AM

2,805 posts, read 3,253,631 times
Typhoon death toll in 1 city could reach 10,000

Quote:
TACLOBAN, Philippines (AP) — As many as 10,000 people are believed dead in one Philippine city alone when one of the worst storms on record sent giant sea waves washing away homes, schools and airport buildings, officials said Sunday. Ferocious winds ravaged several central islands, burying people under tons of debris and leaving corpses hanging from trees.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee View Post
That's a sad and grim estimate. Whatever the death toll ultimately turns out to be, it's going to be very tragic. My thoughts go out to those who have lost family and friends, as well as to the survivors who may have lost their homes. Who knows how many people need to be rescued,

Old 11-10-2013, 10:43 AM

CNN is also reporting a possibility of 10,000 people dead:
Philippines reels from catastrophe as Typhoon Haiyan heads to Vietnam - CNN.com

Old 11-10-2013, 10:44 AM

Jewish, Israeli Groups Begin Aid to Philippines - Global Agenda - News - Israel National News

Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
I don't really know why the Red Cross is making such estimates this early on. Certainly its very probable given the gravity of the storm and all, but that doesn't help the morale of those dealing with this disaster. Such estimates might spur more donations though. If you give, be careful who ya give to. They had a shake up a couple years ago with funds missing there. I prefer to give where I know most all the money is going to help people in need.

Yep, the donation requests are starting already. I hate to sound cynical, but I've found such natural disasters are often exagerrated to generate donations, which never go to the victims. Look at Haiti, much of the country is still in shambles 3 years later. I volunteered to take calls for a local station, people donated from $25 up to $10,000! IMO, they should have kept that money for themselves, for all the good it did the people of Haiti.

I'll probably get a lot of flames for what I'm about to say---like as though I've never been flamed before but why is it we are expected to donate for every natural disaster around the world? What about their own countries what do they do, except misuse the funds we send while letting their own people suffer while their governments pocket our well-intended donations? Let them take care of their own. We have "disasters" here in the USA, people homeless, etc, etc...yet we're the first pocket people want to empty out when something happens, but its ok for our jobs to go overseas while our own citizens lack for shelter, health care, etc.....

IMO, charity begins at home

Old 11-10-2013, 01:55 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,800,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I'll probably get a lot of flames for what I'm about to say---like as though I've never been flamed before but why is it we are expected to donate for every natural disaster around the world? What about their own countries what do they do, except misuse the funds we send while letting their own people suffer while their governments pocket our well-intended donations? Let them take care of their own. We have "disasters" here in the USA, people homeless, etc, etc...yet we're the first pocket people want to empty out when something happens, but its ok for our jobs to go overseas while our own citizens lack for shelter, health care, etc.....

IMO, charity begins at home
No one is forcing anyone to give anything to anyone anywhere, that's what a donation is, so if that's how YOU feel, don't! But, since you think that charity begins at home, I do hope that you are at least helping those in your home area that you've identified as needing help.

But, to say that all of the monies donated don't go to the people needing help is simply untrue - if it was given to a legitimate organization like the Red Cross to begin with... something everyone needs to be wary of.

The U.S. is expected to help those less fortunate elsewhere because the U.S. is one of the richest countries in the world (something that most take for granted daily), and we are here to help mankind, to help each other, wherever we are. And, just as a fyi, there has not been a disaster that the U.S. faced that we were not offered the same type help from other countries, even though they well could afford it a lot less than we could.

Now, back to the topic of this thread - the Super Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines - unfortunately, there can be no exaggeration in the destruction or deaths that have occurred... as it is the worst to ever make landfall in history... think about that, the worst in history ever! All you have to do is look at the damage and the lives lost in much weaker storms that we've faced right here in the U.S. - the last being Sandy and Katrina - that weren't anywhere close to the wind speed or magnitude of this typhoon as it came ashore!!!

It was obvious beforehand that the only way to guarantee your survival from a direct hit from this would to be on a plane out of there. But, that wasn't a choice these people had and they've had to pay the consequences of having no other choice.

You're welcome to vent all you like - but, not here in this thread - this is neither the time or place to do it. Why not try the P&OC forum instead?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-10-2013 at 02:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia