Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:28 PM

3,635 posts, read 10,741,556 times

Advertisements

^ Yes, basically the whole upper-class of the Philippines are Tornatras (Spanish, Chinese, native mixed) The recent Chinese like Henry Sy are just Chinese though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,073,730 times
really interesting guys

Old 10-02-2013, 09:33 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well, a lot of them are mixed...would you identify the current prime minister as Chinese? I think she and her brother look pretty Chinese. Most people in Bangkok have Chinese ancestry. Also Phuket and a few other places outside Bangkok.

Yes they're not that uncommon...I think it's largely because they're still culturally quite different, and Indians are conservative.

A lot of the Filipinos I've met here look Chinese, some don't, but quite a few do. Maybe they're the wealthier ones. Like Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos look pretty Chinese.

It's not ironic because those countries were more about assimilation (especially Thailand), whereas the Malays and Chinese have always been pretty separate and some Malays want Malaysia for the Malays. Also few Chinese have converted to Islam in Malaysia.

Chinese community claims that Ferdinand Marcos was the illigitimate son of a Chinese Judge, Judge Chua thereby making him half Chinese by blood.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,788,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
Chinese community claims that Ferdinand Marcos was the illigitimate son of a Chinese Judge, Judge Chua thereby making him half Chinese by blood.
Lol I don't know why they'd want to 'claim him', although apparently a lot of Filipinos thought he was a good president so idk.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:45 AM

101 posts, read 326,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
The Korean celebrities (or that look) look southern Chinese, while I observe regular Koreans look more like northern Chinese.

Kim Tae Hee - Korean Top Star Photo (31983905) - Fanpop fanclubs

Uhhh Chinese and Indian marriages only 0.7% of marriages in Singapore. I don't expect it to be different in Malaysia since the Chinese population is quite big at 30%, though not as big as in Singapore.

Mixed ethnicity: Bane as kids, their edge as adults
Hmm I beg to differ. I'm not too acquainted with Korean celebs so I could be wrong, but the ones I've seen tend look like northerners with larger eyes. Eye size itself barely affects what you look like. IMO northerners look like this:

Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-4zai9verly03cendgmnkdxbgs83mpcti.jpg
Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-dfgdfgdfg.png
Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-manchu.jpg

Southerners:

Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-profile_joanne-peh.jpg
Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-fp-kelly-2_0.jpg
Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-yu-min-popular-hk-actress-large
Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-mirai-shida-stills-474ed.jpg

Yeah I know the difference between the 2 isn't as clear as night and day, but that's only because there's a lot of overlapping between the 2 and southern Chinese are diverse. Those from the far south would fit above pics better.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I would argue that the 'ethnic Chinese' in Thailand are really ethnic Thais, since they only speak Thai, mostly practise Theravada Buddhism, have Thai names.etc. It's a different situation in Malaysia where many still speak Chinese and practice Chinese culture.
Except that the word "ethnic" is basically used to represent bloodline instead of culture.

Old 10-25-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
It's well known a lot of Thais, Vietnamese and other Southeast Asians but more of these two in particular are fond of claiming that either they personally or people in their country have part Chinese ancestry, but the Chinese do not feel the same reciprocity and feel disgusted.
Those 2 do have *some* Chinese ancestry . Why else would they look less SEA compared to other SEAs like the Malays and Cambodians?

Quote:
Maybe to you but not to anybody else. I don't know why you persist in shoving it down others' throats, it's like you believe if you force your way through enough, you'd convince others.

I don't know which, I know they are the same race as Malays, they only have different religions and languages today because of having different colonial masters.

Stop pushing your agenda of southeast Asians "PASSING OFF" (lol) or having 1.435757532 per cent of Southern Chinese blood. Southern Chinese are what you see in Hong Kong, Singapore, Guangzhou, Taiwan, Nicholas Tze, Fann Wong from Singapore, Gillian Chung. I wish these Southeast Asian agenda pushers quit trying so hard since it's so very obvious. Southern Chinese is NOT tanned. Shorter, maybe. The skin color is the same. Go to Hong Kong yourself. This is a southern Chinese girl (Singapore).
Fann Wong, Top Singapore Actress
This is another (Hong Kong) Gillian CHUNG Yan-Tung | Zhong Xintong | Chinese Movie Database The look is VERY Chinese, there's NO mistaking it. An American of southern Chinese descent Jeremy Lin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Marcos Jr do look Southern Chinese, whats your problem? And yes Gillian Chung looks southern, can probably pass in Northern Vietnam. Pictures of East/Southeast Asia people per country-gillian-chung-1.jpg

Last edited by Bastardised; 10-25-2013 at 12:05 PM..

Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 AM

138 posts, read 818,696 times
Quote:
Well, a lot of them are mixed...would you identify the current prime minister as Chinese? I think she and her brother look pretty Chinese. Most people in Bangkok have Chinese ancestry. Also Phuket and a few other places outside Bangkok.

Yes they're not that uncommon...I think it's largely because they're still culturally quite different, and Indians are conservative.

A lot of the Filipinos I've met here look Chinese, some don't, but quite a few do. Maybe they're the wealthier ones. Like Ferdinand and Imelda Marcos look pretty Chinese.

It's not ironic because those countries were more about assimilation (especially Thailand), whereas the Malays and Chinese have always been pretty separate and some Malays want Malaysia for the Malays. Also few Chinese have converted to Islam in Malaysia.
I agreed that most of Chinese ethnic in Thailand are generally concentrated in Center Thailand, with reasonable number in Southern Thailand.

Ethnic group
75% Dai/Tai
14% Chinese (mostly concentrat in Center of Thailand and some number in Southern Thailand)
7% Khmer
3% Malay
1% Minorities(hill tribe)
Source: https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/th.html

Northern Thailand = 95% Dai/Tai ethnic with about 5% of population are hill tribe.
Upper Eastern Thailand = 85-90% of population are Dai/Tai ethnic with about 10-15% of Mon-Khmer ethnic.
Center Thailand = 80% are Chinese/partly Chinese ethnic, another 20% are something else (Dai/Tai,Mon-Khmer,Malay)
Lower Eastern Thailand = 70% are Mon-Khmer ethnic(Vietnamese/Khmer) with about 30% are Dai/Tai ethnic.
Southern Thailand = 50% are Malay/partly Malay ethnic with about 35% Chinese ethnic and 15% of Dai/Tai ethnic.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:41 AM

Here is ethnic map of Laos

Ethnic groups
55% Lao (Dai/Tai)
11% Khmu
8% Hmong
26% others (minority)
Source: Laos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Northern Laos = 90% of people in the area are Dai/Tai ethnic, another 10% are minority.
Center Laos = 70% of the area are Dai/Tai ethnic, another 30% are Mon-Khmer ethnic (Vietnamese, Khmer).
Southern Laos = 30% of the area are Dai/Tai ethnic while around 70% are Mon-Khmer ethnic (Khmer,Vietnamese).

Old 10-26-2013, 06:45 AM

Physical appearance

Northern Thailand/Northern Laos

95% of the area are Dai/Tai ethnic, another 5% are something else like hill tribe or Chinese.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia