Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 03:49 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times

Advertisements

Crazyme4878 -

Yeah, I'll look into those other modes of construction as well. We too would like to build in some benches along part of the courtyard wall. I THINK you can do that with earthbags (I believe they did that on the program last night). Saw some wattle & Daub construction going on up at a Medieval village northeast of Seattle and it was pretty interesting too - but not the style we're looking to emulate.

Gail's interest in clay is mostly in sculpture. Here's some of her work:

Gail's Sculptures and Other Art Projects pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

Those were done in polymer clays and (for the older pieces) in natural clay. Also some murals etc in that album.

Here's some concrete castings she made from polymer clay orignals:

Gail's Latest Sculptures pictures from crafts photos on webshots

Once we get settled down there she hopes to have a studio (as mentioned) - as opposed to now where she works (when she works on her art) in the garage.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 03:54 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,340,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaPhx View Post
Ahh I see, I thought you were buying prefilled bags of soil, so do you plan to use soil from your property? That means a big hole somewhere, maybe buy a tree and use the dirt from the hole?
Well, we have an acre of mostly sandy soil and when the manufactured home goes in they'll be a lot of dirt moved around as the site is leveled, so we intend to have the construction crew make us a big pile in the general area where we'll be building the wall. If we need more, we'll likely rent a bobcat for a few hours to scoop up another pile.

Here's the site: Webshots - Full Size Photo

Ken

Old 02-14-2010, 04:55 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,918,080 times
Yeah, I think it would be pretty easy to build in benches. I'm imagining the laying right now...don't see why not. Your wife's work is beautiful! I hope she can do it full time, if she isn't doing so right now. Our friends plastered their whole two bedroom house--inside and out--just using the dirt displaced from putting in the septic system the septic system! I would think that you shouldn't have a problem filling enough bags from the general upheaval of putting in a place.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM

11 posts, read 22,123 times
You may also want to check out Calearth.org

They devised a way to do reinforced earthbag construction using long tubes.

We had gotten as far as getting permits in CA, digging our foundation, and laying some bags by hand when we had to stop for a variety of reasons.

We do have several hundred feet of earthbag available for free (but right now it's in storage in Kingman). I've held onto it because I think it would be nice for walls and landscaping.

Old 08-05-2010, 12:42 AM

24 posts, read 72,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneL View Post
You may also want to check out Calearth.org

They devised a way to do reinforced earthbag construction using long tubes.

We had gotten as far as getting permits in CA, digging our foundation, and laying some bags by hand when we had to stop for a variety of reasons.

We do have several hundred feet of earthbag available for free (but right now it's in storage in Kingman). I've held onto it because I think it would be nice for walls and landscaping.
Hi Do you still have those earthbag supplies? I would be delighted to use them. Though earthbag construction looks simple, it's not. They tell you this fact when you take the courses /workshops in person. The many websites show you groups of folks happily filling bags etc, but it's not only arduous, it's also difficult when crafting doors, foundations, windows, roof, plumbing. I know from the 2 courses I took in 2006. Nothing beats actual hands-on experience under the watchful eye of an expert. Cal-earth in its early days used to offer free workshops and workshops for donations. Now it can be a little expensive to attend these courses which have become somewhat trendy for those intending to build eco-friendly homes, etc. A school in WA state offers an earthbag construction course and they are the most reasonably priced. You can pm me for the info. Outside of the states in Thailand, and various European countries courses are offered for tuition, apprenticeships and free. There are also many books out there where you can teach yourself how to build with earthbags, but I still highly recommend getting hands-on training before attempting to build a structure you plan on living inside. Garden walls and ponds should not be too difficult to construct. Plus no one will get injured or worse should a small garden wall collapse...well let's hope not anyway. It's another story if you are talking about a 6 foot wall made up of 150 pound bags falling in on you or someone you love!
I plan on using strawbale which is easier to work with and there are many courses around the country for under 400.00 which the average person can afford.
Really good thread!

P.S. These types of buildings work best in dry climates.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 AM

119 posts, read 313,197 times
I`d have to hire a few Mexicans to build mine. They`re such hard workers.......Sorry I couldn`t resist saying that.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:57 PM

260 posts, read 511,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Crazyme4878 -

Yeah, I'll look into those other modes of construction as well. We too would like to build in some benches along part of the courtyard wall. I THINK you can do that with earthbags (I believe they did that on the program last night). Saw some wattle & Daub construction going on up at a Medieval village northeast of Seattle and it was pretty interesting too - but not the style we're looking to emulate.

Gail's interest in clay is mostly in sculpture. Here's some of her work:

Gail's Sculptures and Other Art Projects pictures from hobbies & interests photos on webshots

Those were done in polymer clays and (for the older pieces) in natural clay. Also some murals etc in that album.

Here's some concrete castings she made from polymer clay orignals:

Gail's Latest Sculptures pictures from crafts photos on webshots

Once we get settled down there she hopes to have a studio (as mentioned) - as opposed to now where she works (when she works on her art) in the garage.

Ken
I was just thinking, if I just buy a factory manufactured house, and put it on my 10 acre, I think I will spray, or paint the house, and dog house, garage, and everything with with the Troy Hurtubise mud, to keep it cool and totally fire proof. This mud is very cheep to make, but it could be used on the space shuttle, it is light weight and porous material, when dry it is like ceramic. I think it will also make the house look nice.
Troy Hurtubise invented this mud, but most of his inventions is not on the internet, only a very few, like His Angel Light, that can see trough any wall, even if the wall is lead. And this Angel Light could be used for healing, or as a death ray, he broke off a blossom on a plant, and the blossom grow back in 3 hours with the Angel Light. The French government, and Soud Arabia was interested to buy this invention, but I dont know who bought it. At this time I dont know who sells the mud, but I m not retiring yet, for me this is not very immediate.

Old 08-07-2010, 07:35 PM

260 posts, read 511,801 times
If anyone want to build a very strong house, and feel safe and protected from tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes,falling comets and asteroids, flying torpedoes, bombs, bullets and etc. A strong house like that could be build, and it could be very cheep with the Troy Hurtubise mud. This mud could be sprayed on manufactured houses, or painted on, or fill earthbags with the mud, and just build the house with the earthbags. But I think the builders should build this kind of strong homes not only in Arizona, but in all the other states that have more hurricanes and tornadoes, and fires. It would save many lives, and would be no property losses, and damage.
But maybe the military will be using it first on the tanks, and trucks.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:58 AM

56 posts, read 63,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marypa View Post
i`d have to hire a few mexicans to build mine. They`re such hard workers.......sorry i couldn`t resist saying that.
lmao!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 AM

8,000 posts, read 17,342,906 times
The best source for the dirt is road construction on or near your property. I am rebuilding the roads in my Section free gratis to the other owners to acquire the sand/clay mixture from the barrow pits (Drain Ditches) for my Compressed Earth home. Compressed Earth is also a good choice for what you are doing and more permanent. Earth Bag is a temporary or short term method of construction with high maintenance for permanence. Also since I plan on Rain Water Harvest, I may include a large lined pond as a source of material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona