Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 04:39 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,645,031 times

Advertisements

Hmmm... probably not the outcome people were hoping for.

Ariz. officials propose closing 13 state parks

Quote:
If approved by the parks board, the state would close Fort Verde, Homolovi Ruins, Lyman Lake and Riordan Mansion state parks on Feb. 22.

Roper Lake, Tombstone Courthouse, Tubac Presidio and Yuma Territorial Prison would follow on March 29.

The closures would conclude on June 3 with the shuttering of Alamo Lake, Lost Dutchman, Picacho Peak, Red Rock and Tonto Natural Bridge state parks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,682 times
I enjoyed the comment from TheProgressiveOne.

"I think it might be time to raise the fee's that are charged for using State Parks, while at the same time using Prison Inmates to maintain these State Parks. This would increase the money coming in and rduce the money spent on maintaining them. Inmate labor should be looked at for a number of things. Like picking up trash on Freeways, vacant lots in blighted parts of the valley etc..............."

Makes sense to me.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:18 PM

8,045 posts, read 12,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Hmmm... probably not the outcome people were hoping for.

Ariz. officials propose closing 13 state parks
They could easily be turned over to local municipalities, or private entities, and therefore wouldn't have to close. If these places are completely shut down, there goes the tourism sector of capital for the state! It makes no sense how the so called leaders have this "all or nothing" approach to the budget crisis. Yes, these services should be cut from the STATE budget ... but they should in turn be handed over to cities or towns, or investors who could keep the parks open, but charge user fees as a source of revenue.

We can only hope Arizona has learned its lesson that it needs to be reliant on more of a diverse economy ... not just growth, construction, cheap real estate, and the sunny climate. Whenever the national economy is in a boom period, Arizona usually does well ... but when the economy is in a down period, we often end up in worse shape than many other states, and that's when drastic cuts to services have to be considered (which most everyone hates). I doubt if much will change, though. Once this downturn subsides, Arizona will keep plodding along and rely on the same old economic factors without much thought ... and most everybody will have long forgotten about the current state budget mess.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,014,381 times
What local municipality has the funds to maintain any of these parks? Where is the money going to come from to pay the rangers? Last time I checked, most municipalities in this state were way in the red. Taking on state parks as an additional burden is an absolutely horrible idea.

Why would we turn a STATE park over to a private entity? They could technically do whatever they want to the land, let whoever they want in, and charge whatever rate they want. These are state parks, not country clubs. Should the wealthy only have access to these recreation areas?

It's baffling that people STILL don't understand what terrible, terrible shape this state is in right now. We're kicking 300,000 low income people off health insurance, closing down the ENTIRE juvenile corrections department, releasing non-violent illegal immigrants from jail, and letting mentally ill people go unchecked by the state and folks are only talking about diversifying the economy.

Why didn't this state diversify the economy when we weren't in a recession from 1912-1929 or 1940-2007? Why all of the sudden is diversifying the economy on everyone's radar? Diversifying the economy can wait like it always has.

Our top priority is finding ways to balance the budget. Cutting excessive government spending should be first on our list. State park closures shows just how desperate of a situation we're in.

Old 01-16-2010, 06:51 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Sell the parks and put up golf courses and condos. Some of these, and certainly other parks not on the list, would be highly prized as second homes by wealthy people.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:58 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,268,972 times
Yeeesh, all this bragging Ive been doing on these boards about AZ, and one of the main reason I love the place is disapearing. What a freaking dagger. I left Wa state for AZ a little nervous about not being able to see nature, and I kept thinking, thats OK I have great places like Lost Dutchman State park, and Red Rock State park. DAMN. Any Danger of South Mountain Municipal Park Closing?

Old 01-16-2010, 09:52 AM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Yeeesh, all this bragging Ive been doing on these boards about AZ, and one of the main reason I love the place is disapearing. What a freaking dagger. I left Wa state for AZ a little nervous about not being able to see nature, and I kept thinking, thats OK I have great places like Lost Dutchman State park, and Red Rock State park. DAMN. Any Danger of South Mountain Municipal Park Closing?
Many of these areas were free until they made parks out of them and soaked people exorbitant entrance fees on top of the taxes they already paid, to fund overpaid rangers and flush toilets. The parks they are closing are all second tier/seasonal there are alternative locations to get to the same experience. The good parks that are staying open are so run over with blue hairs from Washington that the people who pay for them, Arizonans, can't even get in. No loss as far as I am concerned. Sell them all!

Old 01-16-2010, 11:31 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,268,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Many of these areas were free until they made parks out of them and soaked people exorbitant entrance fees on top of the taxes they already paid, to fund overpaid rangers and flush toilets. The parks they are closing are all second tier/seasonal there are alternative locations to get to the same experience. The good parks that are staying open are so run over with blue hairs from Washington that the people who pay for them, Arizonans, can't even get in. No loss as far as I am concerned. Sell them all!
Not quite sure about that. It must cost money to keep the trails manucured, the roads paved nicely, and the trash and vandalism out. I don't think I am in the kind of shape to just hike thru brush and jagged rock. I bought a pass a year ago a (its almost expired) for 50 bucks and I have had unlimited access to all the state parks in az for the past year.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 PM

1,465 posts, read 4,578,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Not quite sure about that. It must cost money to keep the trails manucured, the roads paved nicely, and the trash and vandalism out. I don't think I am in the kind of shape to just hike thru brush and jagged rock. I bought a pass a year ago a (its almost expired) for 50 bucks and I have had unlimited access to all the state parks in az for the past year.
That is really not a bad deal!

Thing that confuses me - I went to South Mountain twice the last time I was there, and though there was a little kiosk to the entrance (around 48th st.) there was no one inside. I'm guessing South Mountain is a free park?

Old 01-16-2010, 12:16 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,449,524 times
South Mountain is a city park, there are no fees to get into any city park. And to answer the other question, no, I don't think there's any chance of it closing.

Lost Dutchman State Park is only a small part of the Superstition Mountain area. There are other places to go to hike into and enjoy the scenery there.

SELL the parks? Uh, no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona