Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 09:42 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,458,760 times

Advertisements

Does AZ have access to any other water sources?

Is De-sal even an option?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 12:43 PM

162 posts, read 849,312 times
Default forum water

I wonder that too. I posted something on the water supply before but didn't get too many responses. I do not live in AZ so to not profess to be an expert. What I gatherered from my reading and some responses is this. It seems some areas of AZ are ok. - that certain areas knew they'd have enough water. I read Phoenix is ok for a a decade or so but that Tucson - having much well water, was actually more prone to the problem. I read a few articles in the local newspapers and by searches on line in what seemed to be reputable sites. I got the feeling that some people were not aware of the water issue or didn't realize the importance of recognizing it to take preventative meausres - espeically as the populations of Phoenix and Tucson grow. The readings certainly showed a concern with the Col. river for much of the area in the decades to follow. Perhaps others who live there can tell you much more.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:00 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Water - a very controversial issue, at least in Northern AZ. Phoenix has almost exclusive water rights to the Salt River. The Colorado River also supplies water to a large portion of the metro area. In Northern AZ the municipalities are pumping ground water and aquifers, and most are in a negative recharge situation. There are probably a few more conservation efforts going on in northern AZ than in Phx metro area.

Here's a link to the AZ Dept of Water Resouces site: http://www.azwater.gov/dwr/

Between the phenomonal growth most areas are experiencing and the decade-long drought, water should be a top priority in most areas of AZ. I'm not sure it is at this point. IMHO, people seem to more concerned with the expense rather than the accessibility and sustainability of water resources.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:16 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,788,293 times
The east valley has been in good shape for a hundred years thanks to the Salt River Project. I've wondered why the government has never considered a pipeline or canal system from the Mississippi to the southwest. Yea, it would cost a fortune for 1200 miles of it, but so what? They have too much water, we have too little. Considering how much money is wasted every year on thousands of goofy projects, not to mention rebuilding after every flood in the midwest, I think they could afford it if they were willing to reallocate some funds.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:40 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
There are several issues that vary around the state. In the Phoenix area, things are in pretty good shape. Should Colorado River water become unavailable, PHX would turn to vast underground aquifers. The major problem with that is that the area has moved to renewable surface resources (CO River and Salt/Gila River) and away from groundwater over the past years. A lot of the wells that used to supply water are in disrepair so the effort to draw on groundwater would be expensive.

Outside of Phoenix, things are more serious. Tucson will eventually have to restrain growth regardless of CO R water. Places like Payson, Pine, etc, have water crises already. Prescott area does not have supplies adequate for the 100 years of projected growth and is looking at re-use of effluent to meet state law among other things.

The state is very aware of water issues and has implemented thoughtful legislation to assure water supplies down the road. The test, of course, will be the political will to follow through when the time comes.

Old 05-25-2007, 12:19 PM

702 posts, read 3,151,407 times
The aquifer under Green Valley is dropping a couple feet every year and there is a plume of contaminated water that is getting larger each year. The contamination is from the copper mines along the western edge of the community. Two of our wells have had to be closed because of this. The mine company has drilled two new wells farther away from the mine tailings, but it is an accepted fact that this is a temporary solution. If the Colorado dries up Green Valley would be in big trouble. This goes for Tucson also because they use the same water source that we use. Tucson has water ponds that the Colorado River water is dumped into. As the silt covers the bottom of the ponds the water is directed to other ponds. When the ponds dry they are bladed to remove the silt. Then the water is directed back to these and this continues. It has already been noted in the local newspaper that people visiting Green Valley may want to drink bottled water versus tap water because they are not used to the sulfer content and may have bowel problems. I have lived here for 21 years and have seen water problems become much more of a concern as the years have gone by. I see things getting worse as time goes by. We will have less and less water to draw from and the contamination from the mine tailings will get worse. The rain washes the tailing chemicals into the aquifer and it stands to reason that the water can only get more contaminated. The mines are working 24 hours a day because the price of copper is up. There is no doubt that water will be a major problem in the future!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:04 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Isn't the Coconino Aquifer pretty huge?

Old 05-25-2007, 02:47 PM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
The Big Chino aquifer is very large. I'm not sure about the Coconino aquifer, but I've heard the water is extremely deep, so it makes it very difficult to tap into.

Old 05-25-2007, 03:23 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
The Coconino (C-aquifer) is huge. It underlies a vast expanse of land north of the Verde River including Sedona and Oak Creek Canyon. Depths to the base run to about 1000 feet. Another aquifer is found under the C-aquifer. It is called the Redwall-Muav for the Redwall Sandstone and Muav Limestone formations in which it is located. It's base is typically over 3000 feet and so tapping it is very expensive. Recent studies have shown that in spite of it's extent, development demands on the C aquifer are likely to exceed its annual recharge (meaning it is unsustainable) in the next several decades. So there are challenges, to be sure.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:02 PM

999 posts, read 4,526,781 times
Before I move out there, I'll see if I can get our governor to sell you a pipeline from Lake Superior. We'll run the pipeline under ground to the Canadian side and steal their part of the lake.....As broke as this state is, Jenny Two Pennies will go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona