Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2010, 01:15 AM

67 posts, read 151,458 times

Advertisements

I will be moving in the September/October time frame and will be traveling from Phoenix to Albuquerque. The two options I am considering are either going down by Benson and over to Deming then up (known road conditions mostly) or up through Flagstaff then over.

My main concern is that I have heard from family that used to live up by Flagstaff that it can get pretty bad on the roads. I will have a 26' moving truck followed by a rear wheel drive van and would prefer to avoid any snow/ice situations if possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnwzrd View Post
I will be moving in the September/October time frame and will be traveling from Phoenix to Albuquerque. The two options I am considering are either going down by Benson and over to Deming then up (known road conditions mostly) or up through Flagstaff then over.

My main concern is that I have heard from family that used to live up by Flagstaff that it can get pretty bad on the roads. I will have a 26' moving truck followed by a rear wheel drive van and would prefer to avoid any snow/ice situations if possible. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
September/October should still be OK even if going to Q via Flagstaff...........they typically do not receive 'winter' till November at the earliest.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:33 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
That time of year, Flagstaff route should be NO problem. Going down through Benson and Deming seems like a long way around, to me.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:09 AM

44,623 posts, read 61,597,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
That time of year, Flagstaff route should be NO problem. Going down through Benson and Deming seems like a long way around, to me.
This is true, besides the long tedious way, you'll be driving in hotter temps.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:06 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,226,273 times
I've hit bad snow storms numerous time in Flagstaff in Oct., in fact in 2004, there were 3 big stroms in Oct. I remember distinctly as I left on Nov. 8th to drive up to Canada and went through Flag. and had to watch the weather clsoely due to this.

I beleive we had one this Oct. too but can't remember for sure.

The OP should be fine as long as the trip can be delayed a day or two if the weather is bad. Also the earlier in Oct. the better.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:12 PM

135 posts, read 542,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcnwzrd View Post

Given that you won't be travelling until September or October, the I-17 to I-40 route through Flagstaff will be shortest for your trip, no matter the weather. It is unlikely you will encounter bad weather that time of year.
Going I-10 to Deming NM and then using NM hwy 26 cutting across through Rincon onto I-25 will be in the vicinity of 50-75 miles longer with more mountains to pull.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM

570 posts, read 1,753,051 times
Have you sseen this website? ADOT Freeway Management System (http://www.az511.com/hcrsweb/hcrsweb.jsp - broken link) It has up to the minute info with actual pictures of the road. Just click on the little black & white camera icons.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:07 PM

67 posts, read 151,458 times
thanks for the info all. will most likely take this route rather than Deming as i will also have a better choice of hotels in Flag. Will already have 3+ hours on the road by the time i get to phoenix so will be staying the night. will keep that site bookmarked notmuch69. will help with the route up as i will be using my laptop for a navi and can get internet via cell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona