Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2006, 02:18 PM

32 posts, read 200,804 times

Advertisements

Those who live in the Phoenix area and love it may not exactly agree with or like what Steve22 says about it..BUT,,for those thinking of moving to the area..Im sure they want to know all the pro's and cons..not just that it is sunny 300+ days per year..Whoop te do.
I have lived here over 3 yrs and I agree with everything Steve says about this area. If I had researched more prior to moving, and maybe ran across a forum like this..I wouldve thought more seriously about what I do and do not like about an area. So, IMO, his comments aren't to **** off the Phoenix lovers, but to really let those who are contemplating a move..to make their own informed decision. But, the most important thing to do is to visit..especially during the hot months. If you can handle the heat..love what you see..then go for it! Many people I know absolutely love it here, the desert. To each his own..Not everyone is going to agree or have the same experience when living here. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder..
But, this area is not as cheap as many people think it is, well, obviously it makes a difference as to what area you are moving from. And the average salary here is very low compared to other states.

Old 08-20-2006, 03:38 PM

57 posts, read 72,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've known many people that moved here from San Francisco, Seattle, and Los Angeles. They all love it here and would never go back to their hometown. Phoenix is a great city to live no matter how you cut it. The weather (9 months of the year is great), the economy, the scenery, the activities, and the overall quality of life. 6,000,000-7,000,000 people live in Maricopa county, I guess most of them life it otherwise they wouldn't be here!
Maybe Los Angeles, but Seattle and San Francisco? Ba ha ha ha! I don't think so. There would not be one single person from San Francisco or Seattle, or any other quality city that would like Phoenix for anymore than a few hours.

The people that move to Phoenix from quality places, leave within 12 months, while the people that move here from Los Angeles and other dodgy cities and towns may stay longer. That is the reason that the population increases because there are enough people that feel it is better than where they are originally from.

Steve22 is spot on! I like you because you make a lot of sense!

Old 08-20-2006, 07:40 PM

68 posts, read 254,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
Maybe Los Angeles, but Seattle and San Francisco? Ba ha ha ha! I don't think so. There would not be one single person from San Francisco or Seattle, or any other quality city that would like Phoenix for anymore than a few hours.

The people that move to Phoenix from quality places, leave within 12 months, while the people that move here from Los Angeles and other dodgy cities and towns may stay longer. That is the reason that the population increases because there are enough people that feel it is better than where they are originally from.

Steve22 is spot on! I like you because you make a lot of sense!
You know when i first read all the bad posts about Phoenix it stung a little. Now it's acually fun reading all your negative posts. I admire Phoenix more for it. Aussiegirl: I know i'm not "spot on" like steve22 but what the hay. Hows the arm chewing going? Bye Bye

Old 08-20-2006, 10:13 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,729,896 times
Quote:
Evidently you don't know my friends. One worked for McDonald Douglas in Seattle and another worked for Charles Schwab in San Fran. Both made a good living but decided it was time for a change. Seattle weather isn't my idea of a paradise and the cost of an average San Fran home is hoovering around $1,000,000, I can see why they moved.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:01 AM

1,477 posts, read 4,410,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Evidently you don't know my friends. One worked for McDonald Douglas in Seattle and another worked for Charles Schwab in San Fran. Both made a good living but decided it was time for a change. Seattle weather isn't my idea of a paradise and the cost of an average San Fran home is hoovering around $1,000,000, I can see why they moved.
I said it before and I will say it again….you get what you pay for.

San Francisco is one of the most desirable places on earth to live and thus, the prices.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:26 AM

439 posts, read 724,837 times
The boom may be over in Phoenix, but housing prices are too high for the income growth and jobs available. The amount of inventory of homes on the market (over 50,000) is incredible. Much of the job growth in Phoenix in recent years (Tucson as well) has mostly been predicated on housing and its related industries and in migration.

I really am not inpressed with the culture of Phoenix. The people tend to be mostly bland midwestern transplants. Traffic is bad, as is pollution, and it seems to be mostly a region of strip malls, malls and endless sprawl in all directions. There is also a big crime problem in both Phoenix and Tucson. Tucson is not as big, a tiny less hot, and has some interesting neighborhoods.

Another problem I had was the heat. Phoenix is an inferno from mid May to late October. It may not be humid like Florida, but when it hits 115 degrees-its still VERY hot! Take into consideration global warming in coming years, where it will stay hotter for even longer, and even drier.

I loved Sedona-

Old 08-21-2006, 09:27 AM

113 posts, read 525,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelmo View Post
You know when i first read all the bad posts about Phoenix it stung a little. Now it's acually fun reading all your negative posts. I admire Phoenix more for it. Bye Bye

Yes, it is really quite amusing. Its actually making me come back to this site everyday just to see the rants.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:32 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,465,318 times
Well, this thread inspired me to join this forum. I live in N. Scottsdale and I HATE IT HERE! The only thing I like about being in this podunk town (speaking in terms of mentality) is my house and back yard.

To the person who said that others have moved from other places and just LOVE IT HERE, wow. I moved here from the SF Bay Area and for the first nine months I drempt of dim sum and, as recently as this past week, I drempt of being in a real city again. I've lived in SF, San Diego, Portland, OR and Minneapolis and this place is by far just one big and boring pit. You cannot imagine how many mornings I wake up and realize I am here and all I say is...I hate my life.

So, after three years of trying to convince myself that if only I'd try harder, I'd really like this place, I give up. It's time to admit this was a huge mistake and get outta dodge. No sense in throwing bad money after good.

Steve22, you are dead on in your comments.

P.S. It's a Saturday night and since there is nothing to do in this boring town full of strip malls and chain restaurants, here I am typing away on this forum.

Old 10-08-2006, 12:38 AM

4,250 posts, read 10,465,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieGirl View Post
There would not be one single person from San Francisco or Seattle, or any other quality city that would like Phoenix for anymore than a few hours.
LOL, how right you are. I have met ONE person I connected with here, and he moved down here from SF. Within two months he went back. If only I had not wasted so much time here...

Old 10-08-2006, 03:00 AM

7 posts, read 28,848 times
In my opinion, Chandler, Arizona is amazing. The architecture is great, the schools in the district are excelling in the state, and everyone is friendly. Here you have where your rich costum houses blend with your neighborhood homes, and everyone just combines. Its a really small area that is growing rapidly. It doesnt look too deserty with more palm trees flourishing than cacti. You should definitely visit before you move though. All you need to worry about is the 2 months of heat. Besides that the weather stays REALLY NICE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona