Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:30 PM

51 posts, read 91,908 times

Advertisements

In GA in some cities it is the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2016, 09:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,028 times
I moved to the Sunshine State from Pennsylvania and even the local police cannot show me a law or statute stating that when an emergency vehicle is coming toward you on a two lane road you must pull off the road and stop. The drivers training manual says that you must yield but it doesn't elaborate. I think it is dangerous to pull off the road....especially at night. I am still researching this issue. This is not an issue in Pennsylvania where I have been a licensed driver for almost 50 years. Wouldn't you think it would be the same nation wide???

Old 05-09-2016, 09:27 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Yes, it is the law: ARS 27-775

You also must move over if there is an Emergency Vehicle stopped on the shoulder of a road.

Old 05-09-2016, 09:56 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,618,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Yes, it is the law: ARS 27-775

You also must move over if there is an Emergency Vehicle stopped on the shoulder of a road.
Good info, Kurt.

Confusion seems to happen when some drivers panic, because they seriously don't know what to do. Too many variables, but...

. Other vehicles permitting... if I'm already in the right lane, I pull as far right as possible and stop.
. If I'm in the left lane, I pull as far left as possible and stop.
. If I'm caught in the middle lane with no way to move right or left, I'll stop and see which way the emergency vehicle will go (sometimes the emergency vehicle will drive around the cluster of vehicles by finding an opening wherever they can).
. If the emergency vehicle is right behind me, I will pull either right, left, or straight forward across an intersection -- if possible!

Other confusion comes from emergency vehicles coming from the opposite side, but not knowing what to do because of concrete medians all ready dividing the highway. Usually, just be aware of what the emergency vehicle is doing/where it's headed.

It can be confusing, but it's best to remain calm, and leave yourself an out when possible.

Old 05-09-2016, 10:17 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,158,194 times
Well...just be aware that the driver of the EV is expecting you to pull right...not left. That is why you will see them closest to the middle of the road. If you are on divided highway...the oncoming traffic need not pull over. There is probably NOT an instance an EV driver would hop a median.

Old 05-09-2016, 02:22 PM

39,093 posts, read 51,289,449 times
Not on divided highways. I pull right and slow down, but don't stop for obvious cases where the emergency vehicle is continuing the other way. That's the way I learned in Europe and it sticks with me (I also treat rural stop signs as yield signs).

Old 05-09-2016, 02:33 PM

902 posts, read 1,107,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyzzard View Post
Yes, if an emergency vehicle is coming with lights and sirens on you have to pull over to the side of the road. Even if you are the only vehicle on the road, other than the emergency ones.

The only time you do not have to pull over is when there is a median in the middle of the road blocking the two lanes from each other and you are on the opposite side of the median.
this varies from state to state

like most laws, there are 50 different versions

Old 05-09-2016, 03:01 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,051,900 times
I'll bet this is the type of guy who doesn't wear his seat belt either, but expects others to pick up the hospital tab.

Doubt he stops for school buses too. What a jerk.

Of COURSE you're supposed to make way for emergency vehicles. If an Ambulance is barreling down the street I want them to get to their patient or get to the hospital, depending on their direction, as fast as they can. Ditto for fire trucks, you don't know how fast those flames are spreading or how much someone else is inhaling smoke or burning and where seconds could matter.

Old 05-09-2016, 04:12 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,723,412 times
Just one question on this topic . . .

Why would anyone NOT want to yield to an Emergency Vehicle in any and every way possible?

Old 05-09-2016, 04:36 PM

44,647 posts, read 61,684,084 times
Slc964 the Sunshine State is Florida, this is the Arizona forum the Grand Canyon State. Are you confusing the 2.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: