Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 06:34 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,390,428 times

Advertisements

Ive heard it said that it is good. People who live in cities where the air quality is poor and they have respitory problems go to Az for the cleaner, dryer climate. But....I also know of people in Az who have asthma and have been told to (dr suggested) live on a coastal area, where the salt water air does them more good. Guess it works both ways.

Old 11-24-2007, 08:22 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,078,621 times
Asthma just like eczema is triggered by allergy. If yours is triggered by mold the desert would help, if your asthma is triggered by pollen, the coast would help. My son had horrible eczema and one doctor said we would have to live with it and gave us steroids, I went to another doctor and he said it was triggered by an allergy, he said to stop using tide detergent and see if it went away because most people are allergic to tide and it did!! Completely! Know the triggers, go to an allergist and see.

Old 11-24-2007, 09:39 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,163,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Asthma just like eczema is triggered by allergy. If yours is triggered by mold the desert would help, if your asthma is triggered by pollen, the coast would help. My son had horrible eczema and one doctor said we would have to live with it and gave us steroids, I went to another doctor and he said it was triggered by an allergy, he said to stop using tide detergent and see if it went away because most people are allergic to tide and it did!! Completely! Know the triggers, go to an allergist and see.
I didn't know this, Twiggy. I have had eczema for several years and my dermatologist said it was incurable and gave me some cream. Whenever I use the cream the rashes get better but come back if I stop using it. So, it's an allergy? I also do use Tide, have for years. Maybe I will stop using it and see what happens. Thanks!

Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,299 times
I lived in the East Mesa for a good 21 years and had no breathing problems, I moved to Seattle Wa. (wonderful place) for 7 years and had no breathing problems, now I have lived in Central Phoenix for the past 4 years and I am having breathing problems and getting worse. I can give a dozen people around my area I know who are experiencing the same thing, my father now has COPD, my grandmother passed do to asthma two years ago and she lived near here. DO NOT to move anywhere near central phoenix, I would stay north of the valley to be safe than sorry. Also breathing problems can cause other health related issues, I noticed myself getting sick half a dozen times a year when the previous years in Seattle maybe twice in those 7 years. Alot of dust pollution and other cover the valley most days, if you heard different they are not active. I hike almost daily to get some fresh air and am witness to this disgusting problem.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:53 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmellowman View Post
I lived in the East Mesa for a good 21 years and had no breathing problems, I moved to Seattle Wa. (wonderful place) for 7 years and had no breathing problems, now I have lived in Central Phoenix for the past 4 years and I am having breathing problems and getting worse. I can give a dozen people around my area I know who are experiencing the same thing, my father now has COPD, my grandmother passed do to asthma two years ago and she lived near here. DO NOT to move anywhere near central phoenix, I would stay north of the valley to be safe than sorry. Also breathing problems can cause other health related issues, I noticed myself getting sick half a dozen times a year when the previous years in Seattle maybe twice in those 7 years. Alot of dust pollution and other cover the valley most days, if you heard different they are not active. I hike almost daily to get some fresh air and am witness to this disgusting problem.
my friends 18 year old son died while hiking in the McDowells a few years ago. He had asthma, but not bad enough to require medication. But the bad air here and higher elevation killed him, he died while on the mountain side because the other kids couldn't get a signal out for their cell phones and the firefighter/emergency workers couldn't get to him in time. VERY SAD. So yeah, I'd say the air is no longer good for people with ANY type of problems! Phoenix was NOT like this 20 years ago! Too many people have moved here!!!!

Old 01-03-2008, 11:40 AM

1 posts, read 8,253 times
Smile Asthma in AZ

I'm 45 with asthma all those years. I live in Tennessee. I have spent the first 18 years of it living in Phx. I return every year to visit my family. Currently, the air in the Phx area is very bad for asthmatics. I was just there for a week and experienced an uncomfortable burning sensation in my lungs when in the central coridor of the city. I never had that sensation before. For some reason I have trouble in Sedona too also though not nearly as bad. There is a lot of construction going on in Sedona kicking up the dust. I have found that other areas of AZ are good for asthmatics. I still love the Sedona area - gorgious scenery. I try to get up to Sedona whenever I visit Phx.

Old 03-05-2008, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 8,168 times
Talking Asthma in AZ

I think everyone is different, but I think AZ is the worst place to live for all sufferers of obstructive airways dx. The dry heat is great compared to the humidity, BUT the dust storms, the acidic rain, the dusty wind are factors I wish I would have known about...it is my fault. I always came out in the summer & never had an issue withmy asthma. In fact, I felt like it was goine the week or two I used to spend here....

I moved here in September 2004, I felt horrible until December 2004...then I felt okay for six to eight months and then I have been sick with sinus at least two every month between Jan thru May & Sept thru Dec....oh & Feb is bloom month, so I am alsways ill with bronchitis/pneumonia....

I am currently trying to decide if I want to suffer or if I am going to look out of state, I actually moved from IA where I was ill, but never these frequently...I will never go back to snow, but I have been advised to move back to humidity

Old 03-05-2008, 04:57 PM

634 posts, read 2,347,823 times
I have family members who moved to both northern AZ (Flagstaff) and Colorado (Fort Collins) and both felt remarkably better shortly after settling in there. I think so long as you avoid the metro areas (Phoenix, Denver, Salt Lake, and obviously LA), much of the southwest, particularly in the mountainous regions, are great places to go to reduce the effects of asthma. Best of luck!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:30 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,948 times
Between the dust, car exhaust and lack of trees I don't think its good for your lungs, but I suppose it does help asthma. I think it'd be a lot better to do some breathing excercises or some additional cardio. Only in the most severe cases I think this will not help. My brother and I both ad asthma growing up and required inhalers. He still lives in Michigan and is fine now that he works out. I grew out of it the same way. In fact this place seems to cause me more health problems because I can't sleep in the heat and I always feel dehydrated no matter how much I only drink water.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:10 PM

55 posts, read 187,027 times
It use to be good for asthma (Arizona) years ago. Since there is such a huge population growth, Phoenix is now the 5th largest city in the U.S. and growing! there has been a tremendous amount of pollution because of the growth. If you have arthritis, the dry weather is great for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona