Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 04:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,083 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am considering accepting a job in Tucson and I need to find out how much STATE AND LOCAL TAXES are.
I find it very confusing. Is Arizona State Rate 2% or 2.5% or how much? And how much is the rate for Pima County and Tucson City? Am I missing something?
Can anyone help me?
I hope this information is public.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 05:05 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,044,643 times
Arizona now has a flat income tax of 2.5% on income over your deduction amount. (It was different prior to 2023).

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/f...-tax-brackets/

To my knowledge there are no local income taxes, but there is a sales tax. It varies from city to city, but it's roughly 8% in most places.

Old 02-29-2024, 03:43 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,470,404 times
I live outside of Tucson and unlike cities in the midwest or east coast, we don't have local taxes, school taxes or anything else. Arizona cities in general tend to have high sales taxes in order to have our many tourists help foot the bill for roads and such.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:35 AM

1,997 posts, read 861,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keira A View Post
Hello,
I am considering accepting a job in Tucson and I need to find out how much STATE AND LOCAL TAXES are.
I find it very confusing. Is Arizona State Rate 2% or 2.5% or how much? And how much is the rate for Pima County and Tucson City? Am I missing something?
Can anyone help me?
I hope this information is public.
Thanks in advance.
Sales tax in and around Tucson is ridiculously high. But, I found that things like car insurance, homeowners insurance is cheaper then where I came from. So, it all equals out.

Old 03-02-2024, 03:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenvalleyfan View Post
Sales tax in and around Tucson is ridiculously high. But, I found that things like car insurance, homeowners insurance is cheaper then where I came from. So, it all equals out.

Sales tax is 6.1% in Green Valley and Marana. In some other communities, the sales tax rate is 8.1%. I am paying sales tax on only about 26% of my purchases as many things like food, prescriptions, and services are NOT taxed. (In the Phoenix area, some municipalities like Mesa and

While Arizona DOES have a 2.5% income tax rate, there are a wide variety of non-refundable tax credits for contributions made to organizations like approved social services (Form 321), contributions to public schools (Form 322), contributions to private school tuition support (Form 323), contributions to Arizona Military family relief fund (Form 340), contributions to qualified foster care support organizations (Form 352), and a number of others. If you are going to make contributions to a charitable organization, you might as well make it to an organization where you can get a tax credit.

Unlike some states, there are NO county or city income taxes. There are also NO toll roads statewide.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that the State of Arizona does assess personal property taxes on motor vehicles at the time of registration. Once a vehicle is seven or eight years old, the tax is pretty minimal.

Once you hit age 21, you will find that your drivers license does NOT expire until age 65. Also, you can register your car for up to five years at one time. That way, you lock in the current tax/tax rates for the next five years.

I am not going to say that the State of Arizona has the lowest tax burden overall. However, I will say that when you consider sales tax, property tax, and sales taxes, the total tax burden is often much lower than some of the "no income tax states."

Old 03-02-2024, 08:11 PM

1,467 posts, read 1,414,990 times
8.6 in Nogales..sales tax. They get some fat checks from Amazon for the taxes collected on Mexicans getting delivery to pobs near the port.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:13 PM

7,502 posts, read 4,347,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Sales tax is 6.1% in Green Valley and Marana. In some other communities, the sales tax rate is 8.1%. I am paying sales tax on only about 26% of my purchases as many things like food, prescriptions, and services are NOT taxed. (In the Phoenix area, some municipalities like Mesa and

While Arizona DOES have a 2.5% income tax rate, there are a wide variety of non-refundable tax credits for contributions made to organizations like approved social services (Form 321), contributions to public schools (Form 322), contributions to private school tuition support (Form 323), contributions to Arizona Military family relief fund (Form 340), contributions to qualified foster care support organizations (Form 352), and a number of others. If you are going to make contributions to a charitable organization, you might as well make it to an organization where you can get a tax credit.

Unlike some states, there are NO county or city income taxes. There are also NO toll roads statewide.

One thing that no one has mentioned is that the State of Arizona does assess personal property taxes on motor vehicles at the time of registration. Once a vehicle is seven or eight years old, the tax is pretty minimal.

Once you hit age 21, you will find that your drivers license does NOT expire until age 65. Also, you can register your car for up to five years at one time. That way, you lock in the current tax/tax rates for the next five years.

I am not going to say that the State of Arizona has the lowest tax burden overall. However, I will say that when you consider sales tax, property tax, and sales taxes, the total tax burden is often much lower than some of the "no income tax states."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona