Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2023, 02:32 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,929,483 times

Advertisements

How many full summer days to spend there with agenda to do most of the hikes except any descending to valley floor? Longest would be Widforss at 10 miles round trip but most hikes seem 1-4 miles round trip.
Would stay in the lodge cabins.
Any other tips suggestions appreciated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 04:57 AM

303 posts, read 237,078 times
Pick your days carefully; as you already know hopefully it gets busy there. Beginning or very end of season would probably give you a better experience, particularly if you're staying on the rim

Old 12-28-2023, 06:02 AM

5,144 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
Pick your days carefully; as you already know hopefully it gets busy there. Beginning or very end of season would probably give you a better experience, particularly if you're staying on the rim
^^^ this, and be wary of the weather from Oct - May.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:18 AM

31 posts, read 30,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
^^^ this, and be wary of the weather from Oct - May.

December to mid-May is not really even an option.

From NPS website:

The North Rim is CLOSED for the Winter

• As of 5 pm, Thursday, November 30, the park entrance gate on State Route 67, which provides vehicular access to the North Rim, was closed to all vehicle traffic for the winter.
  • Between December 1, and May 14, North Rim roads are closed to all vehicles (including snowmobiles) No visitor services are available.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:19 AM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
The gift shop at Jacob Lake has most of the same stuff as the one at the Lodge at a nice discount.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:21 AM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uaeebs86 View Post
The North Rim is CLOSED for the Winter
Technically, it's open if you want to snowshoe your way to the Rim.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:26 AM

1,848 posts, read 867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Any other tips suggestions appreciated?

It's been awhile since I've been that far out, but the last time I drove from the south rim past the Vermillion Cliffs and over the Navajo Bridge, there were no gas stations. I'm glad I gassed up and packed snacks before I left Grand Canyon Village.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:21 PM

813 posts, read 441,413 times
We did the South Rim and stayed at the Bright Angel Lodge. One of the best trips the family ever did.

Pictures do the Canyon no justice. The first view to the last will take your breath away.

Old 12-29-2023, 06:33 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
It's been awhile since I've been that far out, but the last time I drove from the south rim past the Vermillion Cliffs and over the Navajo Bridge, there were no gas stations. I'm glad I gassed up and packed snacks before I left Grand Canyon Village.
Many people don't realize how long of a drive it is from the South Rim to the North Rim. What I've done previously is visit Bryce Canyon in Utah (which is almost as spectacular as Grand Canyon), then drive south into Arizona where the North Rim is a fairly short distance in comparison. There are gas stations in Kanab, Fredonia, and Jacob Lake.

Old 12-30-2023, 10:23 AM

92 posts, read 111,885 times
Your cabin might or might not have a refrigerator or microwave. Depends on the size of the cabin. So if your cabin does not have those things and you do not want to depend on prepared food at the lodge, be prepared to cook or store cold stuff on your own.

The food at the little fast-food lunch counter can be hit-or-miss on a huge level. But if you do get sub-standard food, complain to the manager. We once purchased a few pizza slices that were horrible. We showed them to the manager, and he agreed that we should not have been served that sub-standard food. He was great, and personally made us a new pizza, so things did work out in the end.

If you want to eat dinner at the main dining room, make reservations as early as possible. Lunch can also be pretty hard to come by too, depending on the actual days you will be there. If you cannot eat at the large and beautiful lodge dining room, the only other option is the small fast-food counter mentioned above, and the small grocery store (with a microwave oven) located a mile or two away.

Be prepared for rain/thunderstorms. The lightning can be incredible at that time of year, especially at night (obviously).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona