Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 04:54 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times

Advertisements

be ready for the long drive just to get to the North Rim.....allow plenty of time......drive carefully on the two-lane roads....

$30 or so entrance fee per car if you don't have one of the various federal passes.....

be ready for cool nights and warm days....big swing between night and day temperatures due to the low humidity.....high elevation, so don't exert too much on the first day....drink plenty of water and salty snacks when hiking.....

the cabins are rustic and fairly basic, even the most expensive ones.....most do not have a view and are just lined up near others...if you can wangle room #306, many feel it has the best view in Arizona....keep in mind that a concessionaire operates the cabins, stores, and food/bar service (not the Park Service).....the main store, located a mile or so back from the rim, is very nice.....the historic main lodge building does not have rooms in it, but has the main dining room (make reservations early), bar, quick service snack bar, patio, etc....

if you can manage the time, at least three nights should be ample to explore the area, hike the trails, visit the museum, and not rush.....one night is not enough because of the driving to and fro along highway 67......plan on a half-day or more to drive the out-and-back road to Point Royal and Imperial (see a map)......

Last edited by azdr0710; 01-01-2024 at 05:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2024, 09:27 PM

843 posts, read 565,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Many people don't realize how long of a drive it is from the South Rim to the North Rim. What I've done previously is visit Bryce Canyon in Utah (which is almost as spectacular as Grand Canyon), then drive south into Arizona where the North Rim is a fairly short distance in comparison. There are gas stations in Kanab, Fredonia, and Jacob Lake.
I was curious and I love maps, so I checked Google Maps. It's 250 miles or so from Phoenix to GC Village (South Rim), approx 4 hrs driving.

The North Rim Visitor Center is another 215 miles, which takes about 5.3 hrs more driving time, due to the lower speed limits and mountain roads.

Old 01-03-2024, 10:17 AM

1,905 posts, read 897,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Many people don't realize how long of a drive it is from the South Rim to the North Rim.

I expected it to be far; what I didn't plan for was that there were no gas stations because all or most of that land are Indian Reservations.

Just for grins, I looked it up and there are gas stations along the way now. Just few and far between.

Old 01-07-2024, 12:29 PM

6,893 posts, read 8,935,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
be ready for the long drive just to get to the North Rim.....allow plenty of time......drive carefully on the two-lane roads....

$30 or so entrance fee per car if you don't have one of the various federal passes.....

be ready for cool nights and warm days....big swing between night and day temperatures due to the low humidity.....high elevation, so don't exert too much on the first day....drink plenty of water and salty snacks when hiking.....

the cabins are rustic and fairly basic, even the most expensive ones.....most do not have a view and are just lined up near others...if you can wangle room #306, many feel it has the best view in Arizona....keep in mind that a concessionaire operates the cabins, stores, and food/bar service (not the Park Service).....the main store, located a mile or so back from the rim, is very nice.....the historic main lodge building does not have rooms in it, but has the main dining room (make reservations early), bar, quick service snack bar, patio, etc....

if you can manage the time, at least three nights should be ample to explore the area, hike the trails, visit the museum, and not rush.....one night is not enough because of the driving to and fro along highway 67......plan on a half-day or more to drive the out-and-back road to Point Royal and Imperial (see a map)......
is #306 a Western (big), Pioneer (1Q, 1D bed), or Frontier (1D,1T) cabin or motel room if you know?

Old 01-07-2024, 12:30 PM

Which car should I bring to the north rim grand canyon in summer time?
My older AWD with higher ground clearance, or newer more reliable Prius?
I am interested in getting to the trailhead etc for the following hikes, views:

Bright Angels Point, Cape Royal view (Cliff Springs trail), Point Imperial viewpoint, Roosevelt point incl trail, Vista Encantada, Walhalla viewpoint
Hikes (any trailheads difficult to access by car), Cape Final trail, Cape Royal trail, Cliff Springs Trail, Transcept trail, Uncle Jim trail – 5mi RT, Widforss trail, Thunder River trail, Point Imperial trail, Cliff Springs trail. Not going to go to Point Sublime.

Thank you for prior responses and in advance of these new ones.

Old 01-07-2024, 12:33 PM

How many full summer days would you spend visiting?
I'm thinking 4 full days, with
1 for 10 mile Wildross hike, 2 more days to split up the smaller hikes, drives above, 1 bonus day to not do much. Probably no hikes descending into canyon.
Thank you again for prior responses and in advance of these new ones.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:00 AM

558 posts, read 972,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
Which car should I bring to the north rim grand canyon in summer time?
I haven't looked these up, but many I recognize are accessible via paved roads, so the Prius is fine. There are some viewpoints WAY off the beaten path that would require the SUV. Look them up on a map.

Old 01-09-2024, 11:02 AM

558 posts, read 972,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloom View Post
How many full summer days would you spend visiting?
For what you want to do, that sounds about right. I usually go for 3 days but I only do shorter hikes.

Old 01-14-2024, 09:44 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,451,894 times
Not exactly what you're asking for, but food for thought:

If your cardio is already up to do a 10 mile hike, consider doing r2r. You might have to train for it a little bit, it's about 25 miles. But you would do 12.5 on day one, camp overnight in the canyon, then the other 12.5 the next day. There is a shuttle that would bring you back to your beginning rim, but that shuttle doesn't begin for the season until about May 15th. Personally, I would do it as close to May 15th as possible, because the shuttle will be running, yet temps will still be good. I wouldn't do it in the middle of the summer (but people do).

Granted, it's a larger undertaking, but would be epic af. Just food for l thought; make sure you fully investigate the details and err on the side of caution and safety for all hiking trips. And have fun!!

Old 01-28-2024, 04:50 PM

Both the lodge and food reviews on tripadvisor seemed quite mixed as one would expect fwiw.
Seems wise to prioritize booking a cabins with a mini-refrigerator for flexibility.
I guess cabin better than motel style lodge rooms?
Please share any further comments, suggestions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona