Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 09:50 AM

962 posts, read 469,283 times

Advertisements

Read the explainer linked above:

Quote:
“France, same day all paper, had VERIFIED numbers in evening,” former President Donald Trump wrote on his website just after the Arizona primary in August. “U.S. is a laughing stock on Elections.”

In February, Republican Arizona state Senator Wendy Rogers introduced Senate Bill 1338, which would require all ballots in Arizona to be paper and hand-counted. She touted it as the most secure way to conduct elections, citing French policy.

What Trump and Rogers failed to mention is that there was only one race on the ballot during the French election in April. Elections for federal and statewide offices, the state legislature, judges, school boards, and 10 ballot measures are all on a single ballot in Arizona.

Hand-counting is, by far, one of the slowest methods of tabulating votes and often adds human error to the process. Voting machine conspiracy theories in one Nevada county recently led to an unprecedented and behindhand count of mail-in ballots. It took 10 people three hours to count 50 ballots, according to the Associated Press.
Quote:
On August 4, the Maricopa County Republican Committee censured Richer, and alleged “significant failures” in his administration of the primary election two days before, specifically relating to “late counting and delayed results." Richer responded with a 17-page letter debunking each of the committee’s claims.

Richer’s censure is one of countless examples of Republican operators bogging down a simple process that has worked for decades in America. Last week, Arizona’s GOP nominee for secretary of state, Mark Finchem, floated a new conspiracy theory of his own to sow doubt in his supporters over the issue. He claimed that “far-left radicals who run Twitter are trying to assure us elections are safe and secure while delaying the results.”

It's part of a concerted effort by Republicans to preemptively claim shenanigans in case they lose their races

Old 11-10-2022, 09:57 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The argument is that we should lose the convenience of mail-in voting because you believe that slows down the results?

I’d gladly forgo an immediate result to not have to stand around in line on Election Day. I’m sure most other busy people would too.
Obviously, in AZ the more "convenient" way isn't working. The polls are open all day, more than enough time for people to get to the polls. It worked in the past and we found out the same night who won. Mail in ballots make it too "convenient" for someone to fill out someone else's ballot. This system is getting very corrupt and voter ID should be mandatory. Only a politician that welcomes corruption in our elections would fight this.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:03 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,625,918 times
Limit mail in voting to people who physically can't come in, and let people vote in person for the 30 days leading up to election day (after showing a government photo ID). No lines if you don't wait until the last minute, results on election day, and if someone can't find the time to vote within 30 days then voting isn't important to them

Old 11-10-2022, 10:04 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
Obviously, in AZ the more "convenient" way isn't working. The polls are open all day, more than enough time for people to get to the polls. It worked in the past and we found out the same night who won. Mail in ballots make it too "convenient" for someone to fill out someone else's ballot. This system is getting very corrupt and voter ID should be mandatory. Only a politician that welcomes corruption in our elections would fight this.
No one asked for paranoid conspiracy theories that have already been disproven countless times. This conversation is about the timing of the results.

Interestingly enough, as pointed out above, it’s the conspiracy freaks that added nonsense to the process that’s a cause for the delay. Regardless, convenience over immediate gratification is my strong preference.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:06 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,639,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Limit mail in voting to people who physically can't come in, and let people vote in person for the 30 days leading up to election day (after showing a government photo ID). No lines if you don't wait until the last minute, results on election day, and if someone can't find the time to vote within 30 days then voting isn't important to them
That’s boomer mentality. There’s no need to regress.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:11 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Someone snuck these photos out of the elections division of the AZ Secretary of State's Office:

Attached Thumbnails
Why is Arizona SO SLOW to count ballots???-flash.png   Why is Arizona SO SLOW to count ballots???-pricilla.png  

Last edited by Bitey; 11-10-2022 at 10:32 AM..

Old 11-10-2022, 10:11 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,276,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Read the explainer linked above:
Does AZ allow illegals to vote on local elections? Some of the Towns in my State voted to allow illegals to vote on Town elections. I know they allow this in other States too. My concern was that it was going to be too easy for people that legally should not be voting on State elections to vote if the state/local election is on one ballot sheet.

Old 11-10-2022, 10:48 AM

219 posts, read 176,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
The argument is that we should lose the convenience of mail-in voting because you believe that slows down the results?

I’d gladly forgo an immediate result to not have to stand around in line on Election Day. I’m sure most other busy people would too.
I think a better solution exists somewhere. Maybe something with online blockchain voting. It's amazing the technology we have available at our fingertips in 2022; yet, we are still doing this archaic method of voting. I'm not saying I have the solution - just saying that a better way has to exist.

Old 11-10-2022, 11:08 AM

962 posts, read 469,283 times
Quote:
Does AZ allow illegals to vote on local elections? Some of the Towns in my State voted to allow illegals to vote on Town elections. I know they allow this in other States too. My concern was that it was going to be too easy for people that legally should not be voting on State elections to vote if the state/local election is on one ballot sheet.
I don't know about AZ, but where I lived before they had a special ballot and it was never an issue. Different ballots within a single municipality are pretty common. Different school districts, city council wards, squirrel abatement zones, etc.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:08 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,270,786 times
Arizona is my EIGHTH state of residence and the ONLY state where you have to wait DAYS for the final results. It begins to undermine the confidence of the public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona