Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2022, 01:53 PM

491 posts, read 394,280 times

Advertisements

Right now my plan is to drop my wife off at the airport in Phoenix near the end of June at 4am and I was going to start driving to Flagstaff then on up to various areas such as Monument Valley and so on before settling in that night in Farmington, NM. I'd do more touring around CO the next day and wind up near Colorado Springs before I start driving home on the east coast taking several slow days. But the more folks I talk to the more I wonder if up in Colorado if the crowds and limited passes into areas like Monument Valley will mean a lot of driving and not really getting to see what I want. My wife and I will do some sightseeing in AZ while we are there which include a brief weekend stay in Heber-Overgaard with our family. Not much sightseeing though on the east side of Chandler though. So would it make sense considering the summer crowds to stay in AZ that day when I drop my wife off at 4am then start a slow leisurely drive up E/NE seeing some beautiful country then start driving towards Farmington late in the afternoon while I am already somewhat up that was but still in AZ? Or is this area just as crowded as as anywhere else in CO and so on? One friend just today said I should just keep my current plans and head to Monument Valley after all. My goal is to avoid I-40 when I start heading east at some point so I know I want to be further north of I-10 as I've no desire to drive that or I-40 going home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2022, 03:03 PM

640 posts, read 449,422 times
Have you been to the Grand Canyon? Sedona? Even if you have, I'd go see those again rather then going to the Monument Valley. I've contemplated that trip a number of times and each time concluded that it was just too far and not worth it. YMMV, of course.

Old 05-09-2022, 04:04 PM

We've been to Sedona and wanted to see Grand Canyon but knew it would be such a long day. I know places like Sedona are jammed pack in the summer so I am trying to avoid those places but it may be tough. I'll be by myself by this day so I do not mind driving as long as I can stop and get some pics. I have issues with walking so long walks/hikes are out. Plus I am not coming back to the Phoenix area at the end of the day and staying up in NM for the night.

Old 05-10-2022, 04:49 PM

658 posts, read 1,335,696 times
IMHO, one of, if not THE most beautiful drives in the entire southwest: (and not too far from where you mentioned)
Cortez CO east on Hwy 160 through Durango, Chimney Rock and Pagosa Springs. And if time permits from Chama down through Abiquiu to Santa Fe, they back west on the 550 towards Arizona.

Farmington is good for gas and a burger but not much else. Monument Valley is nowhere near an awesome visual like Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon or Sedona.

Old 05-11-2022, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtramp View Post
IMHO, one of, if not THE most beautiful drives in the entire southwest: (and not too far from where you mentioned)
Cortez CO east on Hwy 160 through Durango, Chimney Rock and Pagosa Springs. And if time permits from Chama down through Abiquiu to Santa Fe, they back west on the 550 towards Arizona.

Farmington is good for gas and a burger but not much else. Monument Valley is nowhere near an awesome visual like Zion, Bryce, Arches, Canyonlands, Grand Canyon or Sedona.

Farmington is just a place to sleep that night and a more affordable hotel vs some of the others towns I looked at. But that drive you mention sounds great. I leave the airport in Phoenix around 4am so I have a long day to fill anyway so might as well drive to where I will enjoy myself. But coming back into AZ likely won't work as the next day I am heading up towards Colorado Springs then on to Nebraska and beyond. But that's funny the difference in opinions. I've had some tell me that it would be a mistake to miss seeing places like Monument Valley.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:09 AM

92 posts, read 112,156 times
Just a few tips...
Going from Monument Valley to Farmington - it is easier to just go back south on 163 back to Kayenta, then east on 160, connect to 64 at Tec Nos Pos and then on to Shiprock and eventually Farmington. Once you leave Kayenta, there is no decent restaurants until you get to Farmington. There are however a few fast-food places in Shiprock.

If however you decide to loop up north on 163 through Mexican Hat and Bluff, there is a decent little restaurant at the hotel that sits right on the river crossing, and another in Bluff called Twin Rocks Cafe. Don't remember the hours, but both are decent. Also, once you get on the far side of Monument Valley on 163, you will find what they call Forrest Gump Point. Depending on the time of day, you can find Navajo jewelry vendors at the pull-outs along the highway. Very nice people, with great prices on stuff they make themselves.

If you want to get close enough to the actual Shiprock formation to take a few pics, you can turn south on Hwy 491, then about six or seven miles down turn right onto Indian Rt. 13. There is a small parking area next to the lava **** that extends southward from the rock.

Farmington has plenty of chain restaurants, but if you want a great Gyro sandwich, try the Olive Tree in the downtown area.

From Phoenix to Monument Valley, you will probably go up Hwy 89, then right on 160. Hwy 89 was closed a while back due to wildfire. Although I would be *highly* surprised if the Hwy was still closed by the time of your trip, I would still recommend checking highway closures along your expected route. No telling what will come and go between now and your trip.

Cameron Trading Post, which oddly enough is located in Cameron, is more a tourist trap than anything else, but it's not a bad place to stop and stretch the legs for a bit.

If you need something more specific about the Navajo Reservation, let me know and I will try to help. Most of your drive between Flagstaff and Farmington will be spent on the Rez.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:00 AM

Thanks Caladan. Great info here.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:18 PM

13,251 posts, read 7,300,036 times
Be careful on the RES highways my brother in-law was a heavy tow truck driver lot of fatal accidents head on collisions on 491 from Gallup to Farmington or through Tuba City. Used to be drunk driving now texting they drift over the center lane I would not travel at night on those highways. Had family up in Durango for 20 years we make annual ski trip up to Durango we would leave at night after work only up to Gallup on I-40 stay over night wait till day time to cross 491 up to Farmington. I don't know how many times I would be seeing some idiot passing barely make it back on his side of the road.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:45 AM

2,003 posts, read 863,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strannik33 View Post
Have you been to the Grand Canyon? Sedona? Even if you have, I'd go see those again rather then going to the Monument Valley. I've contemplated that trip a number of times and each time concluded that it was just too far and not worth it. YMMV, of course.
They are all beautiful. If someone has not seen Monument Valley and had already visited Grand Canyon and Sedona, I would visit Monument Valley. It's nature at it's finest and I've been to all of them. Also, Canyon De Chelly is not to be missed.

Old 05-20-2022, 03:08 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,991,550 times
And Antelope Canyon close to Page.

https://www.visitarizona.com/places/...telope-canyon/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona