Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2021, 10:41 PM

5 posts, read 7,560 times

Advertisements

I am planning on purchasing vacant land in Cochise County and moving there in the next year or so. I am mainly looking into either the Benson or Pearce/ Sunsites areas. What I have noticed is that prices are kind of all over the place. The one thing that's consistent is Benson is more expensive than Pearce, but within each of those areas, there is nothing consistent or predictable about how much a piece of land might be per acre.

For example, in Pearce, it's quite common to find 1/2 an acre or 4.5 acres (and everything in between) for around 20k. There's nothing more convenient about either piece of land. Both could have electricity or not. There is nothing obvious, so I'm hoping some local people can clue me in as to what I might be missing. I have been keeping an eye on what's available for about a year and well....I'm stumped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2021, 04:48 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
How about the availability of water ? With a few exceptions, such as Saint David, an available and sustainable water source in Cochise County is a major concern. Where is the aquifer, how deep are neighboring wells, are they static or dropping ?

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 10-10-2021, 10:18 AM

13 posts, read 9,537 times
Bad roads, water, bad neighbors, poor septic conditions, bad location, could be a million things, that's why it's imperative to see the property before purchase. I purchased 20 acres in W Texas sight unseen and when I finally visited it the roads were so bad and getting worse that you needed a helicopter to get onsite. This is monsoon country and roads wash-out in an instant.

Old 10-10-2021, 09:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,560 times
Bad roads are definitely a factor for some parcels, but the ones I'm often comparing are accessible by maintained roads. I wouldn't consider land that doesn't even have access or easements. Pretty much nothing I'm looking at has water, and I think wells are generally a horrible investment, but related to water, I think some parcels have washes or spots that flood during monsoon season that makes most of the land unbuildable.

Bad neighbors are hard to discover until you are there, so would people discount the land with bad neighbors? And the septic would not be known unless it was soil tested. Most of the land I'm seeing is raw and has not likely been tested. Again, I'm not sure an owner would discount for something not likely to be known until after the sale?

I suppose the more apt question is problems to watch out for since that's the answers given so far ☺️

Old 10-11-2021, 12:37 PM

24,458 posts, read 25,995,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windstoner View Post
I am planning on purchasing vacant land in Cochise County and moving there in the next year or so. I am mainly looking into either the Benson or Pearce/ Sunsites areas. What I have noticed is that prices are kind of all over the place. The one thing that's consistent is Benson is more expensive than Pearce, but within each of those areas, there is nothing consistent or predictable about how much a piece of land might be per acre.

For example, in Pearce, it's quite common to find 1/2 an acre or 4.5 acres (and everything in between) for around 20k. There's nothing more convenient about either piece of land. Both could have electricity or not. There is nothing obvious, so I'm hoping some local people can clue me in as to what I might be missing. I have been keeping an eye on what's available for about a year and well....I'm stumped.
Interesting read from a older thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...l#post50257263

Old 10-12-2021, 03:29 AM

3,285 posts, read 2,661,913 times
Quote:
Bad neighbors are hard to discover until you are there, so would people discount the land with bad neighbors?
Absolutely. Nothing can make your life worse than a piece of garbage who has nothing to lose. They can harass you for years, and there really isn't anything you can do about it.

There have been several "great" properties I've seen online. Go to Google Maps and start zooming out, and you quickly see the collapsed single-wides, yards full of wrecked cars and garbage, etc. No thanks.

Old 10-18-2021, 07:30 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,419,895 times
Look at the flood maps..

Old 10-19-2021, 02:09 PM

33 posts, read 46,535 times
Quote:
Bad roads are definitely a factor for some parcels, but the ones I'm often comparing are accessible by maintained roads. I wouldn't consider land that doesn't even have access or easements. Pretty much nothing I'm looking at has water, and I think wells are generally a horrible investment, but related to water, I think some parcels have washes or spots that flood during monsoon season that makes most of the land unbuildable.

Bad neighbors are hard to discover until you are there, so would people discount the land with bad neighbors? And the septic would not be known unless it was soil tested. Most of the land I'm seeing is raw and has not likely been tested. Again, I'm not sure an owner would discount for something not likely to be known until after the sale?

I suppose the more apt question is problems to watch out for since that's the answers given so far ☺️

I live down here and you're thoughts are accurate. It's all about access and of course WATER. Also, Benson is a little closer to Tucson and some people make it the commute to Tucson everyday for work. Pearce/Sunsites is more for rural horse properties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona