Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 12,689 times

Advertisements

Hi
My mom is looking to move into an apartment complex in Kingman Arizona called Kingman Station, its above the downtown area but near a mountain.

A friend of hers told her that she needed to be on the look out for Tarantuals, scorpions and snakes ,she said that the first 2 will come in your home, climb up drains and things along those lines and snakes can be spotted everywhere in town.

The man told her that the snakes have been spotted on side walks, in parking lots of various stores, close to the train tracks...my mom is 75 years old and she is terrified of these types of stories and I am in Oregon and too far away to help her if something happens, I am not sure she would even be safe now, I understand taking precautions and such but she walks on a walker and you can only move so fast on those things, if she encounters a snake in the parking lot of a supermarket....?

Is it really as bad as this man told her or is he just embellishing the story a bit? Anyone know much about the apartments I mentioned-connected to this question or even separate from it? She has visited Kingman over 300 times in the past 7 years and has never seen anything unusual she told me but she also did not stay long term or look for anything.

Appreciate any replies!

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2016, 08:30 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
I would say that is a non issue, Our property is desert terrain and its seldom we ever see Rattle Snakes, Mojave Greens BUT they do come to visit on occasion.
Tarantulas never seen one here yet, Scorpions yes but again seldom. Have to remember this is there land that someone built a structure on and they have a obligation to coexist with folks.
A good bug exterminator might resolve the issues or the complex has someone already spraying the complex. Or just get a cat as they usually will eliminate pesky varmints indoors.

Old 05-06-2016, 09:46 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhubarb66 View Post
Hi
My mom is looking to move into an apartment complex in Kingman Arizona called Kingman Station, its above the downtown area but near a mountain.

A friend of hers told her that she needed to be on the look out for Tarantuals, scorpions and snakes ,she said that the first 2 will come in your home, climb up drains and things along those lines and snakes can be spotted everywhere in town.

The man told her that the snakes have been spotted on side walks, in parking lots of various stores, close to the train tracks...my mom is 75 years old and she is terrified of these types of stories and I am in Oregon and too far away to help her if something happens, I am not sure she would even be safe now, I understand taking precautions and such but she walks on a walker and you can only move so fast on those things, if she encounters a snake in the parking lot of a supermarket....?

Is it really as bad as this man told her or is he just embellishing the story a bit? Anyone know much about the apartments I mentioned-connected to this question or even separate from it? She has visited Kingman over 300 times in the past 7 years and has never seen anything unusual she told me but she also did not stay long term or look for anything.

Appreciate any replies!

James
I wouldnt move to Alaska if I was terrified of moose and bear. I wouldnt move to the Everglades if I was petrified of gators.

Seriously, its teh desert. Scorpions and tarantulas were here long before humans ever were. Now, on to the wives tales and their RIDICULOUSNESS. Scorpions dont climb up from drains. If that ever happens its because they accidentally fell in and are trying to get the heck back out. Tarantulas are absolutely harmless, despite their appearance. Their venom is slightly less potent than a bee sting. To get bit by a tarantula requires a massive, massive, massive amount of skill. They are generally extremely docile critters. I know, I used to own a dozen tarantulas at one point. Snakes? Just watch where you walk. Its as simple as that. If you see one, go around it. Problem solved. I dont see what the big deal is. Dont reach around or under things without looking first and there wont be any problems whatsoever.

Do you people really think that snakes chase people to kill them or???? I just dont get the paranoia and unjustified hatred of these critters.

Old 05-06-2016, 12:01 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I wouldnt move to Alaska if I was terrified of moose and bear. I wouldnt move to the Everglades if I was petrified of gators.

Seriously, its teh desert. Scorpions and tarantulas were here long before humans ever were. Now, on to the wives tales and their RIDICULOUSNESS. Scorpions dont climb up from drains. If that ever happens its because they accidentally fell in and are trying to get the heck back out. Tarantulas are absolutely harmless, despite their appearance. Their venom is slightly less potent than a bee sting. To get bit by a tarantula requires a massive, massive, massive amount of skill. They are generally extremely docile critters. I know, I used to own a dozen tarantulas at one point. Snakes? Just watch where you walk. Its as simple as that. If you see one, go around it. Problem solved. I dont see what the big deal is. Dont reach around or under things without looking first and there wont be any problems whatsoever.

Do you people really think that snakes chase people to kill them or???? I just dont get the paranoia and unjustified hatred of these critters.
Good advice, Cats.

Old 05-06-2016, 01:25 PM

Indeed.

I would never move somewhere that had an element that I was deathly afraid of, that makes sense.

I do not think that my mom hates snakes, she is simply afraid to step out off the bus onto one and at her age and her ability to move fast, I would think that makes some sense, the big deal is that she cannot move around one if it comes out of nowhere or she does not see it in time, she is old and her eyes arent that good--I also would not want to live somewhere that I had to be vigilant of my surroundings every second.

I live in a peaceful, fairly crime free, fairly critter free location. I am not sure its paranoia either, 2 locals have now told me that she should not move there if she is afraid of snakes.

Old 05-06-2016, 02:20 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
2 locals have now told me that she should not move there if she is afraid of snakes.
They're pulling your leg. The only time you'll see snakes is if you wander out into the desert after sundown.

Snake bites are rare. Most victims are drunks taunting them. Occasionally you will hear of someone doing yard work and putting their hand into some blind spot and surprising a snake. It is highly unlikely your mother will ever see a snake in Kingman, and she has a better chance of being struck by lightning than getting bit by one. I lived in Kingman for five years and never heard of anyone in town getting bit.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:20 AM

1,552 posts, read 6,473,136 times
Again listen to KDOG giving great advice

Old 05-07-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Indeed.

I would never move somewhere that had an element that I was deathly afraid of, that makes sense.

I do not think that my mom hates snakes, she is simply afraid to step out off the bus onto one and at her age and her ability to move fast, I would think that makes some sense, the big deal is that she cannot move around one if it comes out of nowhere or she does not see it in time, she is old and her eyes arent that good--I also would not want to live somewhere that I had to be vigilant of my surroundings every second.

I live in a peaceful, fairly crime free, fairly critter free location. I am not sure its paranoia either, 2 locals have now told me that she should not move there if she is afraid of snakes.
Im not trying to scare you, but the elderly are most at risk from dying from a snake bite. There is a lot of anti-venin out there to combat the venom, but its not a guarantee it will save her life. I would suggest she not move to an area with large populations of rattlers, just to be on the safe side. I mean, her odds of getting bitten are a million-to-one (maybe higher), but there's always the slight risk. If she's that paranoid, I would suggest looking elsewhere?

Old 05-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
They're pulling your leg. The only time you'll see snakes is if you wander out into the desert after sundown.
That's not entirely true. Ive encountered rattlers in PV at night, over in Scottsdale by the golf course (near Hayden and Indian Bend), and in Phoenix by 40th Street. Granted the PHX location was kinda close to the PHX Mts Preserve, but there was a large western diamondback just sitting square in the middle of the road. I would never expect to find one, say, downtown, of course, but suburban areas? Most definitely, especially if its in an area near a park or up against the mountains. Kingman is just that... isolated and surrounded by nothing but open desert.

Old 05-07-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Im not trying to scare you, but the elderly are most at risk from dying from a snake bite. There is a lot of anti-venin out there to combat the venom, but its not a guarantee it will save her life. I would suggest she not move to an area with large populations of rattlers, just to be on the safe side. I mean, her odds of getting bitten are a million-to-one (maybe higher), but there's always the slight risk. If she's that paranoid, I would suggest looking elsewhere?
To be clear, she is NOT paranoid.

2 locals told her that the snakes are everywhere, in town, in parking lots of stores, restaurants, they come into the apartments because they are set against the mountains/desert, they come into the porch area, they crawl into the engine of your car, this is what she was told by friends who wanted her to move there, I do not think that makes her paranoid.

If the stories are true, YES. She will look somewhere else.

I do not understand why friends who want her there would lie?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona