Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 10:04 PM

41 posts, read 74,669 times

Advertisements

Wow....

I cant believe I am actually rooting for the Feds; on this one.....

F%$&ing Vampire Developers!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 12:53 PM

36 posts, read 49,817 times
The feds need to stop this dead in it's tracks. Look at California. Even though they are having insane drought problems the greedy developers are hell bent on building up every piece of open land available no matter how bad the negative consequences are.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:38 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,838,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Liberty View Post
The feds need to stop this dead in it's tracks. Look at California. Even though they are having insane drought problems the greedy developers are hell bent on building up every piece of open land available no matter how bad the negative consequences are.
They see the cheap land and their eyes sparkle with joy... And that's all they care about. Cheap land to expensive, crappy homes = profit.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:59 PM

41 posts, read 74,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
They see the cheap land and their eyes sparkle with joy... And that's all they care about. Cheap land to expensive, crappy homes = profit.

YEP; I know where they want to build all these homes; but the San Pedro can only handle soo much.

The people that live there wont see the negatives until its too late; one bad drought there and there will not be enough water to support them or the wildlife oasis that thrives there.

Everyone (thing) loses.....

What a damn shame.....

Old 04-22-2016, 11:24 PM

3,411 posts, read 4,651,418 times
Isn't there a way to build up reservoirs in the area, instead of encouraging development for cities?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:32 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,977,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
Isn't there a way to build up reservoirs in the area, instead of encouraging development for cities?
What do you mean exactly?

Old 04-23-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What do you mean exactly?
Making artificial large pools of water so they can be collected for existing residents and irrigation, in case the river dries up.

Old 04-23-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Making artificial large pools of water so they can be collected for existing residents and irrigation, in case the river dries up.
I think the issue in this area (Cochise County) is that the only surface water is the San Pedro which is a small river with Federal protection. I don't think they'd be able to make a reservoir because the river is already used for habitat protection. The developer would necessarily have to dig for groundwater. It would indirectly use the San Pedro if it did. Hence this legislation, there isn't a sustainable source of water so the legislature is looking to exempt them area from demonstrating a water source, as Cochise Co. requires. Which is disgraceful IMO as we have a national rep for water management, part of our brand is that we aren't California or Texas, but I'm sure there is some incredible money to be made.

The standard for groundwater use in most of Arizona is reasonable use, except those in Active Management Areas (Prescott, Phoenix, Pinal County, Tucson, Santa Cruz County) where it is much more strict. Some counties elect to require a stricter standard for developments akin to the AMAs, some don't, but Cochise does. Reasonable doesn't mean a whole lot unfortunately, but I'm not sure how reasonable these developments are in the first place. The development would necessarily lose any water dispute as junior rights holders to anything. It doesn't end well.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I think the issue in this area (Cochise County) is that the only surface water is the San Pedro which is a small river with Federal protection. I don't think they'd be able to make a reservoir because the river is already used for habitat protection. The developer would necessarily have to dig for groundwater. It would indirectly use the San Pedro if it did. Hence this legislation, there isn't a sustainable source of water so the legislature is looking to exempt them area from demonstrating a water source, as Cochise Co. requires. Which is disgraceful IMO as we have a national rep for water management, part of our brand is that we aren't California or Texas, but I'm sure there is some incredible money to be made.

The standard for groundwater use in most of Arizona is reasonable use, except those in Active Management Areas (Prescott, Phoenix, Pinal County, Tucson, Santa Cruz County) where it is much more strict. Some counties elect to require a stricter standard for developments akin to the AMAs, some don't, but Cochise does. Reasonable doesn't mean a whole lot unfortunately, but I'm not sure how reasonable these developments are in the first place. The development would necessarily lose any water dispute as junior rights holders to anything. It doesn't end well.
They could easily create a reservoir in Cochise county, but the local code would have to change to allow for the construction while keeping the habitat protection. I would hate for more development on land that's not sustainable if not enough water is present.

An example I would use is the Chatfield reservoir, just in the southwest suburbs of Denver. The purpose of creating that was to prevent another flooding that happened in 1965 along the south Platte river near Denver. It was developed by the United State Army Corps of Engineers in the 1960s. However, the situation in Cochise county is different. Instead of preventing a flood, the San Pedro river could feed water into the reservoir as storage, and whenever it rains it could be collected.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
They could easily create a reservoir in Cochise county, but the local code would have to change to allow for the construction while keeping the habitat protection. I would hate for more development on land that's not sustainable if not enough water is present.

An example I would use is the Chatfield reservoir, just in the southwest suburbs of Denver. The purpose of creating that was to prevent another flooding that happened in 1965 along the south Platte river near Denver. It was developed by the United State Army Corps of Engineers in the 1960s. However, the situation in Cochise county is different. Instead of preventing a flood, the San Pedro river could feed water into the reservoir as storage, and whenever it rains it could be collected.

That would be terrible #1 and #2 unlikely given how many rights holders there are to the river including the Federal Government and Mexico. The river transcends an international border.

Here's some history of the only undammed river in the Southwest that supports one of the largest conservancy of Cottonwoods, Birds and Riparian fauna.

All that at the expense of crappy, probably faux Mediterranean Stucco, houses?

The Truth About The San Pedro River - * * * *** Wyatt Earp Explorers- by John D. Rose

They will necessarily have to use groundwater for the project, which will indirectly do the same thing, but slowly. Sierra Vista, in its current form, already does to some extent.

The river, in many areas, is but a trickle as it is. A dam would interfere with existing water rights. Recently a mining operation was planned with a small diversion, it was rejected due to its effects on the current rights holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona