Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:03 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,816,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
There is a difference when I hear voter fraud instead of election fraud. Maricopa elections office has created election fraud, in my opinion. And yes there MUST be an investigation of this county department. It’s the 3rd election in a row for the last six years that there has been a major screw up from errors printed on ballots that were sent out to now this reduction of polling locations. It’s crazy and unacceptable!
You're right that I used the wrong terminology here. Election fraud sounds like a lot more sense than voter fraud. Thank you for pointing that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 10:14 PM
HDL

3,216 posts, read 6,787,483 times
Default My situation is a little different......

I'm a new residence of AZ, registering to vote (PEVL) as a Republican last fall after getting my AZ drivers' license at the MVD (4 mths prior to the March 22nd election). Fast forward to March 1st 2016 when I notice that my neighbor is mailing out her absentee ballot and I am frantically trying to figure out what to do since I never received any voter information in the mail or an early voting ballot like I had requested in November.

Since I was unable to get a hold of anyone at the Recorder's office who could tell me what to do, I just went ahead and re-registered online to vote and then on March 15th I received a 1 page laminated Voter ID card in the mail stating that "you must be registered 29 days ahead of an election to be able to vote in that election". Unfortunately re-registering March 1st for a March 22nd election = no vote.

By this time, I had finally found my original document from the MVD showing that I had in fact registered to vote last November 2015 (PEVL). I thought that maybe if I just took that document along with required documents to the polls on Tuesday, March 22nd, maybe they would still allow me to vote.

Then I saw the really long lines on the news and decided that no way was I going to stand in line for 3+ hrs just to have them tell me that I couldn't vote. Later that evening I heard how long many people had to wait that day (some 5-7 hrs) and how few polling places there were (60 vs 200 in times prior). That's just not right and someone should lose their job over this fiasco imo.

FWIW - I'm an Independent that registered Republican and who crosses party lines and tries to vote for the best candidate or at least the best of the worst !

Old 03-24-2016, 10:29 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
No mail in ballots. ALL voters to pre register, show ID and give thmb print. No illegals voting. Reinstate polling places.

Do we need UN Observers to ensure American elections are not corrupt?

Old 03-25-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
No mail in ballots. ALL voters to pre register, show ID and give thmb print. No illegals voting. Reinstate polling places.

Do we need UN Observers to ensure American elections are not corrupt?
lol I hope not. With over 300 million people in this country, that would be a lot of observers

Old 03-25-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDL View Post
I'm a new residence of AZ, registering to vote (PEVL) as a Republican last fall after getting my AZ drivers' license at the MVD (4 mths prior to the March 22nd election). Fast forward to March 1st 2016 when I notice that my neighbor is mailing out her absentee ballot and I am frantically trying to figure out what to do since I never received any voter information in the mail or an early voting ballot like I had requested in November.

Since I was unable to get a hold of anyone at the Recorder's office who could tell me what to do, I just went ahead and re-registered online to vote and then on March 15th I received a 1 page laminated Voter ID card in the mail stating that "you must be registered 29 days ahead of an election to be able to vote in that election". Unfortunately re-registering March 1st for a March 22nd election = no vote.

By this time, I had finally found my original document from the MVD showing that I had in fact registered to vote last November 2015 (PEVL). I thought that maybe if I just took that document along with required documents to the polls on Tuesday, March 22nd, maybe they would still allow me to vote.

Then I saw the really long lines on the news and decided that no way was I going to stand in line for 3+ hrs just to have them tell me that I couldn't vote. Later that evening I heard how long many people had to wait that day (some 5-7 hrs) and how few polling places there were (60 vs 200 in times prior). That's just not right and someone should lose their job over this fiasco imo.

FWIW - I'm an Independent that registered Republican and who crosses party lines and tries to vote for the best candidate or at least the best of the worst !
Yes the long lines were extremely discouraging to a lot of people. Hopefully this gets sorted out soon. Many of us working Arizonans could not just do that... I thank the people who did wait that time to vote.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:39 AM

402 posts, read 686,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
lol I hope not. With over 300 million people in this country, that would be a lot of observers
we don't even need the UN for anything

Old 03-30-2016, 05:38 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
While I don't have a dog in your fight, I vote up here in WA state where we do have open primaries, so here are my feeble observations.

For one, IMHO, the two party system we are so locked into is
Spoiler
****ed
. This is most evident in a state like Arizona with most voters considering themselves outside the two party gridlock (thank goodness)!

Honestly, I need someone to help me reconcile the method of electing a President and Vice president that is spelled out in the Constitution to the way we actually practice it now. I cannot. Pleas someone show me where running mates are in the Constitution. It is just a power play by the career politicians IMHO to stay in power and keep us with little recourse.

So what happens is that they 'give' us open primaries. In practice here in WA that means the top two get on the general ballot. Not too bad with President, but all the other offices below that, then the independents are left out. Depending on how your state leans, in the general election your choices for US Senator and US Representative are dictated by the most popular party in your state. Get it?

I do not have all the answers, just my observations.

Oh, and for what it's worth, your employer HAS to let you have enough time off to vote. That I know because I insisted on it in 2012 when I spent two or three hours of the day (that I was supposed to be at work) at the caucus.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Angry oh yeah, just add 60 more locations! That's still too few and what will the next problem be?

If I heard this evening news correctly Helen Purcell said she will “try” to “add” “60” more polling locations for the upcoming elections. If I’m not mistaken 60 of the locations that had been used plus the additional 60 new ones isn’t enough. Also will she have “enough” voting booths and most important “ballots” for everyone? This past election makes it the 3rd one in a row that things have been missed up by her department. The wrong information lacking the correct names of all candidates for some areas of the county, and the other when information had the wrong dates of the election printed on the voter information ballots that were sent out to the voters. What could possibly go wrong in the next upcoming election?

Not enough ballots, ballots not printed correctly, no voting booths, 120 locations "maybe"....... Thanks Helen but you need to move on to retirement.

Old 04-15-2016, 11:56 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,237 times
Any state controlled by Republicans can't be trusted to run fair impartial elections. See Florida 2000,

Old 04-16-2016, 12:47 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
While I don't have a dog in your fight, I vote up here in WA state where we do have open primaries, so here are my feeble observations.

For one, IMHO, the two party system we are so locked into is
Spoiler
****ed
. This is most evident in a state like Arizona with most voters considering themselves outside the two party gridlock (thank goodness)!

Honestly, I need someone to help me reconcile the method of electing a President and Vice president that is spelled out in the Constitution to the way we actually practice it now. I cannot. Pleas someone show me where running mates are in the Constitution. It is just a power play by the career politicians IMHO to stay in power and keep us with little recourse.

So what happens is that they 'give' us open primaries. In practice here in WA that means the top two get on the general ballot. Not too bad with President, but all the other offices below that, then the independents are left out. Depending on how your state leans, in the general election your choices for US Senator and US Representative are dictated by the most popular party in your state. Get it?
Read the 12 Amendment to the Constitution.

Washington state has a top two primary for all offices but for President.

In Washington state the taxpayer paid Presidential Primary is limited to Democrats and Republicans ONLY. Voters must publically declare a party. Independent voters cannot vote in Washington's Primary by definition, nor can other parties be on the ballot by law.

For this the taxpayers are paying 10 milliion dollars.

Political parties are PRIVATE organizations. Why are the taxpayers paying for their primaries? BTW, that 10 million dollars would have DOUBLED the Washington State Park budget!! Rather see my money go elsewhere.

That said. The problem with voter fraud really stem from the Motor Voter law. We need to get rid of it, go back to voter registration 30 days prior to the primary, eliminate vote by mail, and require an ID to vote ast a precient on Election Day.

In Washington state, your choices for elected office are dictated by the results of the top two primary for the office. Here in eastern Washington, there are few if any Democrats left. So for one House seat the general election was between two Republicans. As were some of the state legislature positions.

The top two primary gives independents a better chance at November, IF the voters recognize and vote for independents.

Of course, the two major parties have eliminated the voters pamphlet for the primary in the state due to "financial reasons". It really keeps Independents from running effective campaigns. Notice they found 10 million dollars to fund their "special" Presidential primary.

I am pretty proud of Washington state government....."We have the best State Government money can buy".

Last edited by 509; 04-16-2016 at 12:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona