Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 09:01 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times

Advertisements

^^^ Yes, but what's important is what is in Lake Powell. They control Leak Mead with releases from Powell. So in theory they can decide whether or not there will be a "shortage" by holding water back in Lake Powell.

If they wanted to pretty much empty Powell they could (probably) fill Lake Mead. I haven't been to Powell for a couple of years, but last time it was REALLY low, like 1/3rd full. THAT is where the trouble lies. They can really only release water as needed for power and irrigation. But if Powell gets too low then the whole West is in serious trouble.

Humm, maybe it's time to check out the Alaska and Washington relocation forums...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 09:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,252,297 times
This is the only link I can find Lake Powell Pipeline | Citizens for Dixie | Growing Better

Visiting S Utah last fall I saw an article in a local paper that said that area (around St George) would grow by a factor of 4 in the next 35 years. Thats not 40% but 400% and they are going to need water and must have some legal right to what is in Lake Powell.

Might as well just get used to the low water levels..

Old 03-12-2016, 09:15 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,432,751 times
Michigan.. the new Arizona..... That is how they advertise. And it is a beautifull state, about 8 months....

Old 03-12-2016, 11:21 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
St George has no right to Colorado water. They are nowhere near it. They have the Virgin river to suck from. I just wonder when an actual war will break out between states over the River. LOL

Old 03-12-2016, 03:57 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
St George has no right to Colorado water. They are nowhere near it. They have the Virgin river to suck from. I just wonder when an actual war will break out between states over the River. LOL
1025 is renegotiation time for NV, AZ and CA so not too long from now.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:42 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I just wonder when an actual war will break out between states over the River. LOL
it already has!

How a 1930s water war between California and Arizona delayed Parker Dam - LA Times

Old 03-14-2016, 02:51 PM

8,044 posts, read 12,267,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Too many people moving here, thinking they can keep their southern/northern/northwestern/northeastern water habits (read: wasteful). These ignorant people are gonna rape and pillage the water supply here w/o a care in the world. Wasting water drives me nuts!

IF YOU MOVE TO ARIZONA, LEAVE YOUR NON-NATIVE PLANTS BEHIND, AND QUIT WASTING WATER. WE'RE LIVING ON BORROWED TIME HERE. LETS NOT ACCELERATE IT!
Pretty highly charged, emotional, kneejerk reactionary post ... although your first point (which I bolded) makes the most sense of all: too many people moving here. That's the main reason why Lake Mead is at a critical stage right now. It's not because of grass lawns & non native plants, which use a drop in the bucket compared to other water wasters. It's because of too many people moving here ... and for that matter, too many people moving here for the wrong reasons, such as the warm, sunny climate. What these sun lovers don't seem to realize is all this "wonderful weather" which they boast about has become too much of a good thing, and May type of weather in February & March is having long lasting impacts on the water supplies.

When you think about it, Las Vegas is even more of a water waster than Phoenix is. Phoenix has three times the population as Vegas, but Vegas gets about three times the amount of tourism. All the visitors constantly using water in their hotel rooms for showers, toilets, pools, and everything else is a major strain on Lake Mead. Thankfully, Phoenix has other water sources that aren't as critical, and there are no shortages for us as of now, but I agree that the drought is still nothing to take lightly.

Old 03-14-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Pretty highly charged, emotional, kneejerk reactionary post ... although your first point (which I bolded) makes the most sense of all: too many people moving here. That's the main reason why Lake Mead is at a critical stage right now. It's not because of grass lawns & non native plants, which use a drop in the bucket compared to other water wasters. It's because of too many people moving here ... and for that matter, too many people moving here for the wrong reasons, such as the warm, sunny climate. What these sun lovers don't seem to realize is all this "wonderful weather" which they boast about has become too much of a good thing, and May type of weather in February & March is having long lasting impacts on the water supplies.

When you think about it, Las Vegas is even more of a water waster than Phoenix is. Phoenix has three times the population as Vegas, but Vegas gets about three times the amount of tourism. All the visitors constantly using water in their hotel rooms for showers, toilets, pools, and everything else is a major strain on Lake Mead. Thankfully, Phoenix has other water sources that aren't as critical, and there are no shortages for us as of now, but I agree that the drought is still nothing to take lightly.
Phoenix uses less water than it did in the 50s despite having millions of additional people.

It's not too many people, Arizona isn't over taxing its own systems, and Las Vegas puts back what it takes.

Where is California in this? Oh right, the problem.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:33 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Phoenix uses less water than it did in the 50s despite having millions of additional people.

It's not too many people, Arizona isn't over taxing its own systems, and Las Vegas puts back what it takes.

Where is California in this? Oh right, the problem.
Just because AZ uses less now than it did in the 50's doesn't mean we aren't wasting water. There's plenty of waste here still, I splash through intersections constantly where people let their sprinklers literally water concrete, each and every single day. The amount of lawn here and acres of desert covered in high water use winter grass for the game of golf is truly mind boggling.

I'm not saying CA doesn't have a problem but you're full of it if you say Arizona doesn't waste a ton of water. Until a gallon of water is treated like the value of a gallon of gas then nobody is going to respect it. We pay nearly nothing for water and therein lies the problem.

Old 03-14-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Just because AZ uses less now than it did in the 50's doesn't mean we aren't wasting water. There's plenty of waste here still, I splash through intersections constantly where people let their sprinklers literally water concrete, each and every single day. The amount of lawn here and acres of desert covered in high water use winter grass for the game of golf is truly mind boggling.

I'm not saying CA doesn't have a problem but you're full of it if you say Arizona doesn't waste a ton of water. Until a gallon of water is treated like the value of a gallon of gas then nobody is going to respect it. We pay nearly nothing for water and therein lies the problem.
I don't think that was said. I think you said that and then responded to it.

Bear in mind 70% of our water use is in agriculture. In Arizona, when you have water rights and you don't use them to their fullest you can lose interest in that unused portion. That leaves little incentive for farmers to stop flood irrigating. Which means that we would have to find ways to buy rights at some point to actually save on water use, that could get expensive. I've heard of some creative proposals but we'll see what happens. The items you listed are very small in the grand scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona