Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 08:34 AM

3 posts, read 12,203 times

Advertisements

Can anyone who lives in Hereford please tell me what it's like to live there? Every query I do on Hereford sends me to links on Sierra Vista, which, I believe, is an hour or so away from Hereford. I really need to know what it's like to actually live in Hereford, not Sierra Vista.

My son, who is 29 years old, is on his way to moving to Hereford right now as I type this. He and his girlfriend are driving cross-country from PA.

They stopped in Flagstaff to stay a few days with my son's best friend who moved there several years ago from NC. He loves Flagstaff, but he and a couple other people have recently told me that Hereford is bad news. And when I say "recently", I mean just in the past couple days, and after they already started to make their journey to AZ. I am hearing that there are issues with Mexican Drug Cartel, gangs, meth labs, etc. My son was offered a job in Sierra Vista, but the friends they will be staying with live in Hereford. They have not lived there long, so I'm not sure if they even know that they could potentially be living in a war zone.

I fear for my son's life. His girlfriend is very attractive, and my son can have a bad temper if anyone messes with her. I just see bad things in their future if they live there and what I am hearing is true. I'll even go a step further and tell you that the street they will initially be living on is South Wildhorse Run, as I know different neighborhoods can even make a difference. Hope that helps you to give me a better idea of what they're in for.

They are welcome to stay with these friends in Hereford for as long as they need to until they get on their feet and have some time to look around for housing. Do I need to tell them to try to find a home closer to Sierra Vista and to get out of "Dodge" as quickly as possible? All responses from actual residents of Hereford, or people who know the area well as it stands today, would be most appreciated! All other threads I found on the town are dated 2009/2010. A lot can change in 5 years. Thank you, in advance!

- Concerned Mom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:04 AM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,660 times
Drove through town yesterday, seen only 7 body's in the roadway, Sundays are quiet....
During the week you have to get out the car to shove m to the side off the road, and pickpockets are everywhere.

Old 03-23-2015, 06:26 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
Drove through town yesterday, seen only 7 body's in the roadway, Sundays are quiet....
During the week you have to get out the car to shove m to the side off the road, and pickpockets are everywhere.
LOL

Yeah, all those "the border is a warzone" stories are sooooooooo ridiculous.
Has Hereford EVER even had a murder?

I feel wayyyyyyyyyyy safer down here than I EVER did up in Seattle.

Ken

Old 03-23-2015, 07:53 PM

308 posts, read 790,896 times
Ken, Hereford has had murders, but on the whole is safer than most places back east. I sent the OP a LONG PM, offering to show her son around, I have answered two of her other posts. She had not responded to any of them, and now has started a new thread. I guess she just wants to worry.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
Ken, Hereford has had murders, but on the whole is safer than most places back east. I sent the OP a LONG PM, offering to show her son around, I have answered two of her other posts. She had not responded to any of them, and now has started a new thread. I guess she just wants to worry.
Any idea when the murders were? I've never heard of any murder in Hereford - nor can I find anything online about any murders there.

Ken

Old 03-23-2015, 09:41 PM

I thought one was this year, in the last 6 months anyway. I will try to find the article. I think I heard about it at work.

Old 03-23-2015, 09:45 PM

Cochise County Sheriff’s Investigating Murder in Hereford

This is the one I was thinking about. Not sure if it was proved murder or suicide.

Old 03-23-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAinAZ View Post
Cochise County Sheriff’s Investigating Murder in Hereford

This is the one I was thinking about. Not sure if it was proved murder or suicide.
Thanks.

Ken

Old 03-24-2015, 11:05 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverocity View Post
Can anyone who lives in Hereford please tell me what it's like to live there? Every query I do on Hereford sends me to links on Sierra Vista, which, I believe, is an hour or so away from Hereford. I really need to know what it's like to actually live in Hereford, not Sierra Vista.

My son, who is 29 years old, is on his way to moving to Hereford right now as I type this. He and his girlfriend are driving cross-country from PA.

They stopped in Flagstaff to stay a few days with my son's best friend who moved there several years ago from NC. He loves Flagstaff, but he and a couple other people have recently told me that Hereford is bad news. And when I say "recently", I mean just in the past couple days, and after they already started to make their journey to AZ. I am hearing that there are issues with Mexican Drug Cartel, gangs, meth labs, etc. My son was offered a job in Sierra Vista, but the friends they will be staying with live in Hereford. They have not lived there long, so I'm not sure if they even know that they could potentially be living in a war zone.

I fear for my son's life. His girlfriend is very attractive, and my son can have a bad temper if anyone messes with her. I just see bad things in their future if they live there and what I am hearing is true. I'll even go a step further and tell you that the street they will initially be living on is South Wildhorse Run, as I know different neighborhoods can even make a difference. Hope that helps you to give me a better idea of what they're in for.

They are welcome to stay with these friends in Hereford for as long as they need to until they get on their feet and have some time to look around for housing. Do I need to tell them to try to find a home closer to Sierra Vista and to get out of "Dodge" as quickly as possible? All responses from actual residents of Hereford, or people who know the area well as it stands today, would be most appreciated! All other threads I found on the town are dated 2009/2010. A lot can change in 5 years. Thank you, in advance!

- Concerned Mom
Honestly sounds like your son would have problems living alot of places...the problem won't be the place, it will be your son.

Old 03-24-2015, 12:46 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
We lived in Hereford for some 8 years or so as the wife was born in the area (tombstone to be exact).
But the drug traffic and illegals coming from the border just some 10 miles away made us leave the area.
Herford is only some 10 miles from Sierra Vista so it's one in the same and Hereford is not a town, just a rural area to live. About the only thing out there was a US Post Office.
We moved to Prescott to get away from border problems and the winds there and have a more moderate climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona