Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:02 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,484 times

Advertisements

For those of you who have moved to AZ from coastal areas of the US, as I will be, do you miss the closeness of the sea? do you feel land locked? or does the majestic view of the mountains make what you left behind a distant memory?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
I prefer the mountains over the water anyway, so i dont miss either coast i have lived on. If i do I can drive to see it San Diego is 6 hours away.

Old 11-02-2006, 11:57 AM

550 posts, read 3,266,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
For those of you who have moved to AZ from coastal areas of the US, as I will be, do you miss the closeness of the sea? do you feel land locked? or does the majestic view of the mountains make what you left behind a distant memory?
I miss it IMMENSELY. I grew up near a much different mountain range so I'm not overly impressed with the ones here. But I do miss the coast.

Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,450,502 times
Quote:

I hate it here. I grew up in the land of 10,000 lakes and then lived on the coast of Ca for 13 years. A pool just does NOT cut it, nor am I fond of concrete slabs of man made lakes. I hate it here. I miss real water.

Old 11-03-2006, 08:11 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Oddly, I find that the desert and the sea have much in common. The desert is a sea of dry earth, the sea a desert of water. Both are environments to which humankind is poorly adapted and pose potential dangers. Both have wide horizons that offer expansive vistas. Both harbor exciting and somewhat alien life forms that humans normally have little contact with. Both are sere and economical biomes characterized by a lack of plants. Both have a particular relationship with sun and sky that other earthscapes lack. They are, in their own different ways, the top two places that people retreat to in order to seek out solitude and spiritual insight.
I live 100 yards from the ocean and I miss the desert greatly. In the tropics, or in a hot arid environment, proximity to the sea is a welcome amenity that tempers the heat of those climates. Elsewhere, the ocean just casts up fog and chill, enveloping the world in a shroud of gray and erasing the march of the seasons. I love gardening and in a mild maritime climate you can grow so many things. Were it not for that, I would return to the desert...at least I would if I could find a decent city there to live in!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:46 AM

317 posts, read 1,229,484 times
Default Steve 973 - beautiful reply

What a great reply and so very true as I think about it and put myself in both places. I, too, am an avid gardener...putting my hands deep in dirt...makes me feel "one with the earth", or grounded, you might say.

The ocean CAN feel lonely...unless one is enjoying it at the height of the beach season...sunning oneself and watching kids play in the waves.

Are you saying that there isn't much opportunity to "garden" in AZ? I would think that there are many beautiful flowering plants and tropical fruits to grow --- but I am purely guessing --and it sounds as though I might be completely mistaken --- maybe all I can grow is cacti and ecalyptus?

Old 11-04-2006, 10:08 AM

163 posts, read 824,444 times
If you miss the ocean, then a trip to the Pacific ocean is 5 hours away, and by air San Diego is less then an hour give or take. The scenery here is magnificant, but after living here close to 7 years, not sure I would recommend living here with high expectations.

Old 11-04-2006, 03:37 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
I lived in Sedona for 10 years. Just bought a second home a few blocks from the Colorado River. Yes I missed the water!

Old 11-04-2006, 05:31 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,469,173 times
Quote:
Are you saying that there isn't much opportunity to "garden" in AZ? I would think that there are many beautiful flowering plants and tropical fruits to grow --- but I am purely guessing --and it sounds as though I might be completely mistaken --- maybe all I can grow is cacti and ecalyptus?
Desert gardening can be very rewarding, particularly in the low desert (Phoenix area) where a lot of subtropicals can theoretically be grown (you haven't had really good grapefruit or oranges until you've had desert citrus). But increasing housing density is making tiny California-type lots the norm in AZ and concerns about water conservation (and the COST of irrigating those landscapes) has reshaped the sense of desert gradening opportunities in recent years. If I still lived there now, I think my conscience would compel me to garden mostly with xerophytes -- which can still be beautiful, though the options are more limited.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:54 PM

95 posts, read 647,078 times
I can't express how much I miss the water! In Virginia, I lived on a river and could catch blue crab from a dock in my backyard. I miss being able to go to the beach whenever the mood struck. I do feel a little trapped by the mountains sometimes, but the ones here don't compare to those in CO Springs. One of the best parts of living here is the amazing sunsets. They're the most beautiful I've ever seen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: