Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 02:06 PM

2,290 posts, read 2,478,820 times

Advertisements

Watch out for the attacker roaming around Awatukee. I saw it on the news last night. I work right there, so I'm a little concerned myself. He attacks during the day too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2006, 12:50 PM

153 posts, read 563,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1m1700 View Post
Watch out for the attacker roaming around Awatukee. I saw it on the news last night. I work right there, so I'm a little concerned myself. He attacks during the day too
Thanks for the heads up. Any word on what they know about him?

It's puzzling to me that an area considered a "better part of town" for family living is so high in both violent and non-violent crime. Is this because it is so close to downtown Phoenix that there is a natural overflow of crime into the more affluent neighborhoods? Or is Ahwatukee one of those pocketed communities that is geographically appealing for committing crime?

Old 10-04-2006, 06:47 PM

436 posts, read 683,671 times
Yes, an active sexual offender is very scary, but Awatukee also has convicted sex offenders living within its community. Awatukee has had several rather nasty episodes of vocal antisemitism written up in the local media publications as well. There is anger, prejudice and deviant sexual behavior everywhere. What community is free of these problems? If you must live in a city (Phoenix) with toxic particulate air quality, then living within the community of Awatukee (especially in the $$$$ foothills) is at least less offensive than most Phoenix neighborhoods. I'm just thankful I'm not in that s__hole of a city myself.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linda54 View Post
someone told me that during the course of the police investigation they have determined the guy they have is not responsible for all the "baseline" crimes and that what they know is that he is in north scottsdale/fountain hills area. Did anyone hear that? I live in fountain hills and it is pretty darn dark here at night, perfect for a crime.
No I didn't hear that. The Baseline Killer is in Scottsdale?

Old 10-04-2006, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_2 View Post
Yes, an active sexual offender is very scary, but Awatukee also has convicted sex offenders living within its community. Awatukee has had several rather nasty episodes of vocal antisemitism written up in the local media publications as well. There is anger, prejudice and deviant sexual behavior everywhere. What community is free of these problems? If you must live in a city (Phoenix) with toxic particulate air quality, then living within the community of Awatukee (especially in the $$$$ foothills) is at least less offensive than most Phoenix neighborhoods. I'm just thankful I'm not in that s__hole of a city myself.
I don't think Awatukee is particulary bad, I have worked in that area for years and I have been aware of lots of crimes first hand. I am out and about there everyday and I'm always looking over my shoulder because at times it does give me the creeps, because I have seen a lot of creeps.

I would just say always be aware of your surroundings. It's not the best but by far not the worst place.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:24 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,690,177 times
I just think we hear about more crime here because people are less afraid of reporting it, i have a friend outside Detriot and she said that the statistics are off because people are just not reporting all the crime, i think here people are reporting everything that happens, there is alot of crime here, very large population, but I am not sure it is worse or better than any other area due to the reportings.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:52 AM

12 posts, read 76,419 times
What's the point in reporting it? No one will investigate it. Talking to the cops in AZ is like asking for a kick in the head.

Personally, I'll pass.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:16 AM

39,120 posts, read 51,366,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linda54 View Post
I came from a small area in Illinois, this is very difficult for us to adjust to this way of living with all the crime there is here. Chicago has its share but nothing like Phoenix.
Baloney! Phoenix (the city) has a lower murder rate and half the rate of robberies and aggravated assaults (violent crime). The auto theft rate is several times higher in PHX and the burglary rate is quite a bit higher. If you look at places where people are moving to like Gilbert, Scottsdale, Chandler, Goodyear, etc the violent crime rate is a very small fraction of what it is in Chicago (or Phoenix for that matter). In fairness you would need to compare the burbs to the burbs. All in all, if you are a middle class professional going about your business in your suburban neighborhood, your odds of being a victim of violent crime are close to nil. And I think that is true just about everywhere.

Old 10-05-2006, 10:57 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,690,177 times
My husband was at his job site working on a saturday when he came out he discovered latinos going through all his tools and then they took off all eight of them crammed in there truck, they stole his 4 nailguns and three saws, framing tools. we filed a report and gave them the license plate which turned out to be stolen. Point is we filed a report and the cops did what they could, sometimes there is just nothing more they can do, dead end. These latinos ( not all but these)had no problem stealing from us hurting my husbands lively hood to better themselves, I am betting they were illegal.

Old 10-05-2006, 11:07 AM

207 posts, read 549,544 times
There are predators and prey. Predators will always target the most vulnerable. Arizona is an open-carry state. Getting a CCW permit is also quite easy... altho I seem to have no place to conceal a firearm under what I normally wear. (I carry openly in a holster) There are miles 'n miles of nothing between many points in ths state and a long delay in law enforcement agency response time in some areas because of this. I suggest you arm yourselves. If you have no experience with firearms... educate yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona