Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 04:35 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,186,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The Arizona legislature is essentially under the control of two groups that vote in large numbers - Mormons and blue haired retirees. Both of those groups of people have a much greater than average chance of being right wing nutjobs when it comes to the social issues.
BTW I heard the greatest occurence of STDs in Arizona is in Sun City... they may vote conservative, but do not behave so...

Old 11-12-2012, 05:15 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,341,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueleo65 View Post
Honestone1,
I wasn't aware that this is a question and answer forum. I am merely bringing up a subject I thought about after the election analysis, and wanted to see what people thought. Can't we have a challenging discussion without being offended? Or are we only suppose to discuss the status quo? After all how many times can you answer where is the best schools in Phoenix?

Several of you expressed opinions that Arizona is red, just like MA or IL are blue. I fully understand that. I wasn't proposing that Arizona will magically become a far left state. What I am saying is, there should be more balance. Even MA voted for Scott Brown in the last election, and several blue states have a sizable red or majority red government on the state level.

I would like to thank the people that contributed to the discussion.
In 2008, the final vote outcome in Arizona was:

John McCain: 1,132,560
Barack Obama: 948,648

That's a difference of 183,912. In an election where 2,081,208 votes were cast, that's not a difference that, to me, reflects the constant stream of information we receive that Arizona is one of the most far right states in the nation. I believe the difference in those two numbers reflects three things:

1. A large number of the seniors who move to this state to retire have conservative values.
2. Latino-American citizens here have largely felt disrespected and left out of the political process, so they have voted less enthusiastically than other communities.
3. Throughout Arizona's history as a frontier, isolated settlers built churches to create a community for themselves that would provide their difficult lives with solace. Many of those churches have espoused evangelical messages that often translate into ultra-conservative votes.

But all of those things are changing with the times. As the baby boomers age, retirees of the future will not be totally conservative, certainly not socially conservative. Latino-Americans are beginning to realize their political power and they will find an electoral voice as their numbers increase and they see success from their efforts to participate. Finally, not all church folks still march in lockstep with the GOP. The more Republicans send out the message that they are a non-inclusive party that caters only to the "haves" in our society, many religious people who believe Jesus' teaching that we need to help those in trouble are being turned off by the Romney view of America.

We haven't seen a final vote count for 2012 yet (which in itself is an issue that needs to be addressed) but in many red states Mitt Romney received fewer votes than John McCain did. And we can certainly look to the fact that our Congressional delegation will NOT be 100% Republican. Richard Carmona received enough votes to indicate to me that when John McCain finally retires from the Senate it's not a foregone conclusion that he will be replaced with another Republican. And, for better or worse, it's also not a forgone conclusion that Arizona will remain a red state forever.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 12,292,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Roark View Post
While I am certainly no Democrat, I want to see the Republican Party abandon the social conservatism and war mongering and adopt the Libertarian Party or Ron Paul's ideals.
Absolutely! That's basically the way the GOP used to be many years ago. Barry Goldwater, Milton Friedman, William F. Buckley, and even Ronald Reagan to a certain point would all be Libertarians if they were alive today. None of these men campaigned on social/personal matters ... it was all about smaller government, cutting spending, reducing the tax burden, and being a strong superpower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX-PHX View Post
Instead of looking for a link to the bible belt south, look vertically. Idaho, Utah and Arizona make up that funny looking peninsula on the red state map. Three letters, LDS. You can call it the Mormon belt. Although Arizona is not as conservative as Utah or Idaho, politics are defininitely influenced by the LDS in Arizona.
That's a good observation, and it may have some truth ... however, you left out Nevada in that "Mormon Belt". Las Vegas was founded by Mormons, and still has quite a few LDS people living there. So why is Clark County now voting mostly Democrat, and making Nevada mainly a blue state lately?

Old 11-12-2012, 10:35 PM

490 posts, read 1,099,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
That's a good observation, and it may have some truth ... however, you left out Nevada in that "Mormon Belt". Las Vegas was founded by Mormons, and still has quite a few LDS people living there. So why is Clark County now voting mostly Democrat, and making Nevada mainly a blue state lately?
Good question.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:06 AM

73 posts, read 147,490 times
Wow, amazing insights!

I have been enjoying the tremendous post election debate about the future of the Republican Party. I am amazed at the civil war going on and the name calling! I love the new term
"The Conservative Intertainment Complex" and the backlash it is facing from Republicans themselves. It is ironic, that even Conservatives are questioning their platform, yet judging from the responses on this thread, by seemingly Conservative/Republican Arizonians, life goes on as is and there is no reason to reflect. It's almost taken for granted that this state is in the firm grip of the right, and there is no need to evolve on any subject.

The other responses I found telling, is this idea, that somehow Arizona is the refuge of certain part of the population, from the "evils" of the liberal states! It almost sounds like Jews escaping "Nazism". Again, it's these "evil" states that are the powerhouses that form the strength that is the United States.

I am glad to see so many contributors that see the changes coming. The Latino communities must get involved and be heard and not left marginalized. I think it's essential for Arizona to progress, and the ones asking questions and not taking things for granted will be the key to this change.

Last edited by blueleo65; 11-13-2012 at 01:18 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 09:30 AM

1,429 posts, read 2,423,447 times
You feel that people should "progress" by agreeing with your political views? Isn't that kind of one dimensional....or, regressive thinking. Have you bothered to look at how much "red" was is those "blue" states? Our society is failing and you want to encourage AZ voters to join the rest of the "progressive" voters in the country. I'm sorry but joining what you deem (or, uh, dem) as the in crowd isn't going to do anything to progress our country ....my five year old has more sense than that. But, please do carry on...I had no idea marionette shows are back in vogue.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,472,793 times
Quote:
... however, you left out Nevada in that "Mormon Belt". Las Vegas was founded by Mormons, and still has quite a few LDS people living there. So why is Clark County now voting mostly Democrat, and making Nevada mainly a blue state lately?
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatUpFLA View Post
Good question.
Large minority population, some union presence, and non-LDS people from all over the place moving in. Yes, many are retirees, but many are not. The LDS presence there hasn't been like it is in the east Valley here for a long time. ONLY Clark County voted Democratic, but it's where the vast majority of the state population is.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:24 PM

209 posts, read 433,256 times
I moved my business to Arizona because it is a red state and my research indicated it would be more business friendly than my previous location. I find it amazing how many people are fleeing the very blue state of California for refuge in Arizona, then before they even get settled they wish to transform Arizona to be more like the economic disaster they just left.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM

353 posts, read 658,151 times
Quote:
Absolutely! That's basically the way the GOP used to be many years ago. Barry Goldwater, Milton Friedman, William F. Buckley, and even Ronald Reagan to a certain point would all be Libertarians if they were alive today. None of these men campaigned on social/personal matters ... it was all about smaller government, cutting spending, reducing the tax burden, and being a strong superpower.

I think Observrer answered this question already but I think the answer is correct. The mormon presence in Clark County is nothing compared to that in the eastern Phoenix suburbs. Not even close. Plus the retirees in the Phoenix area tend be come from conservative areas of the upper midwest. Vegas seems to attract more active type people.

Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM

570 posts, read 1,003,889 times
Looks like Kyrsten Sinema is going to Congress. She's definitely NOT the stereotype of what the OP must think is the average Arizona politician.

Kyrsten Sinema Becomes 1st Bisexual Person Elected to Congress
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona