Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecas29 View Post
Agreed... However, as a moderator, you might be able to see how some of the first replies to my posting were attacks because I used "non-conservative". I was hoping to hear from more folks like yourself... Live and let live, but there seems to be more bullying from the self-righteous...

But I would love to hear more from those who have moved to Arizona and after living there for a while (long or short) have a little insight - good or bad.

I know for me, when I was there on vacation, there was little bad that I observed. But I was on vacation and we didn't really interact with many folks. I would say folks were not unfriendly but they did give us a look of "you're not from these parts...". That might have something to do with me being of mixed race... That is a whole other can of worms... I really didn't want to bring race into the discussion, but... I do wonder if I wouldn't be afforded the option to "ignore what I don't like and live my life".

Comments? Thought?
Okay...I've been reading along in this thread and I can appreciate how each poster feels and what their opinions are. Each are entitled to that, no matter how *I* might feel about it. I was born here, I've lived most of my life here and admit to some bias toward "my state". I LOVE AZ and always will. I don't love what has been going on the past couple of years and I sooooo wish we had got rid of some of our long time politicians in the last election. Alas, we did not, but it does my heart good to know that at least one is leaving anyway. If you move here you have to accept that this is, indeed, a "red state". Always has been and likely always will be. If you want to live in peace don't discuss politics. If you can't live with the way our legislature legislates you'd have to leave.

I consider myself a fiscal conservative and a social liberal but not "far" right/left anything. Pretty much down the middle. My entire family, however, are as conservative and "far right" as they come. We don't discuss politics much and already know how everyone feels. They haven't run me out on a rail yet. It hurts my heart to see what a reputation my state has these days but there's nothing I can do about it and it won't make me leave. It hurts my heart when I see people put my state down so badly because they are unhappy here. But, to each his own.

As for "not from these parts"...that kinda makes me laugh because MOST of the people who live in this state are "not from these parts". lol I don't know why anyone would put anyone else down over something like that. The best way to deal with this state is to "live and let live". It's not impossible and, in fact, I find it to be very easy.

Good luck in deciding what you should do for your own happiness and that of your family.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: personal

I never said "hillbillies".

I never said I didn't like AZ (but you seem to be anti-Chicago though).

I DID say I liked my vacationS to AZ and notice nothing bad... And we stopped in Jerome to boot.

Moderator cut: bickering
Thanks
I don't think he's anti-Chicago. You're reading things into things. My maternal family came here from Chicago in 1932 and I've been there. I couldn't live there but don't think that makes me "anti-Chicago".

Jerome is one of the most laid back towns in the state. People are really nice there and just want you to leave your money with them.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM

24 posts, read 87,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Okay...I've been reading along in this thread and I can appreciate how each poster feels and what their opinions are. Each are entitled to that, no matter how *I* might feel about it. I was born here, I've lived most of my life here and admit to some bias toward "my state". I LOVE AZ and always will. I don't love what has been going on the past couple of years and I sooooo wish we had got rid of some of our long time politicians in the last election. Alas, we did not, but it does my heart good to know that at least one is leaving anyway. If you move here you have to accept that this is, indeed, a "red state". Always has been and likely always will be. If you want to live in peace don't discuss politics. If you can't live with the way our legislature legislates you'd have to leave.

I consider myself a fiscal conservative and a social liberal but not "far" right/left anything. Pretty much down the middle. My entire family, however, are as conservative and "far right" as they come. We don't discuss politics much and already know how everyone feels. They haven't run me out on a rail yet. It hurts my heart to see what a reputation my state has these days but there's nothing I can do about it and it won't make me leave. It hurts my heart when I see people put my state down so badly because they are unhappy here. But, to each his own.

As for "not from these parts"...that kinda makes me laugh because MOST of the people who live in this state are "not from these parts". lol I don't know why anyone would put anyone else down over something like that. The best way to deal with this state is to "live and let live". It's not impossible and, in fact, I find it to be very easy.

Good luck in deciding what you should do for your own happiness and that of your family.

Thank you for your posts.

I want to just say that I posted this question of sorts not to debate family values of the right and left. I know that I am not a conservative person when it comes to social issues and whatnot. But in my readings of posts here (like the "Top 5 PROs and CONs of living in AZ") I notice a lot of folks say that a "PRO" was that AZ is conservative. So, with the thought of our planned move in mind plus knowing that I am not a "conservative" nor do I agree with the extreme postions that seem to be highlighted in the news (all media outlets)... I just wanted to ask the question as to how I might fair living there. And how others - like myself, have, and currently experience life in AZ.

"Everyone is not from around these parts"... While I am aware of the transient and transplant nature of those who make up the majority of resident in AZ. I still feel there is a look of "outsiderness" that we got. It did not affect my good times when it happened, but I noticed.

Jerome, yes... that is a cool town and an eclectic arts community. That is also a part of what I am asking about... will I find that "electiveness" outside of those faraway enclaves like Jerome and Sedona? But more as parts of Phoenix and outlaying communities... not sure if my point is being made. Or is being a conservative the crux of life for folks out there? The news seems to think so... the postings seem to declare that...

Anyhow, I hope that my point is clear - not debating the good or bad of it all, just the truth of it.

Thanks for all that you all have already contributed and your insights. It is helpful to me to read your opinons and observations as I make my decisions about moving... even if its just a small sampling from an internet forum.

Best.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:49 AM

1,046 posts, read 3,483,817 times
Quote:
While I am aware of the transient and transplant nature of those who make up the majority of resident in AZ. I still feel there is a look of "outsiderness" that we got. It did not affect my good times when it happened, but I noticed.
Were you wearing shorts during the winter when you got the looks?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:19 PM

13,211 posts, read 21,825,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundball View Post
Were you wearing shorts during the winter when you got the looks?
It must have been the tattoo on his forehead that said Liberal. Otherwise I cant for the life of me imagine what was the problem.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:31 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,354 times
I have lots of family that live in Phoenix and I visit regularly. That being said, I oddly enough get a slightly socially liberal vibe when I visit the city. It is very multi-cultural, lots of bi-racial relationships, there are several gay bars, and I don't see all the anti-abortion billboards I do when I drive through north Florida. When you talk to people about fiscal policy or immigration, then yea, you definitely see the Republican come out strong, but if you're not into politics that much, I don't think you'd notice. My family is all Democrats, originally from California, but they really aren't that into politics and rarely discuss it, so they seem to like it just fine.

That being said, there are some good ol boys out there though too. And I know a few minorities out there who have complained about harrasment from the police. The cheap cost of living, the vinicity to places like Las Vegas, San Diego and L.A., the desert landscape (for those who like that) might make it worth it for those who aren't really into politics. But the active liberals would be happier living in CA or the Pacific North West.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:02 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
I have lots of family that live in Phoenix and I visit regularly. That being said, I oddly enough get a slightly socially liberal vibe when I visit the city. It is very multi-cultural, lots of bi-racial relationships, there are several gay bars, and I don't see all the anti-abortion billboards I do when I drive through north Florida. When you talk to people about fiscal policy or immigration, then yea, you definitely see the Republican come out strong, but if you're not into politics that much, I don't think you'd notice. My family is all Democrats, originally from California, but they really aren't that into politics and rarely discuss it, so they seem to like it just fine.

That being said, there are some good ol boys out there though too. And I know a few minorities out there who have complained about harrasment from the police. The cheap cost of living, the vinicity to places like Las Vegas, San Diego and L.A., the desert landscape (for those who like that) might make it worth it for those who aren't really into politics. But the active liberals would be happier living in CA or the Pacific North West.
That really is true, I agree, the people there are not "in your face" conservatives. So much so I was always surprised by the laws that actually passed. I use to think, "where are those people ?", sort of like the surprise everyone had when they realized CA didn't want "Gay Marriage". Who would of thought that was going to fly. But, CA is largely Republican on the inside, only the coastal is Democratic. It is always strange to me. Not like the bible belt at all because the religion aspect is missing. Religion makes it "in your face" a lot more I gather.
The people are always pretty nice and aren't in your face about politics, unless you are stupid enough to bring it up. Stay to themselves, wave, etc. They don't ask you what church you go to in the first, second or even the third sentence. lol
Like I said, the laws passed would have to bother you, if you didn't mind the influence in government and the publicity then I doubt you'd notice. I minded the cuts, laws, etc. But I am for more gun laws and control, so if you know that about me then you can clearly see why it bothered me.
Were as that might not bother everyone, other things like that as well. I hated seeing people with guns at school, shopping, events, etc.

Last edited by twiggy; 04-15-2011 at 08:17 PM..

Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNLV09 View Post
... and I don't see all the anti-abortion billboards I do when I drive through north Florida.
That's probably because the government has made them extremely hard for women to get here, and it would be a waste of money for a group to spring for a billboard.

To the OP, I'm pretty far left and don't chronically feel like a pariah here... though in all fairness, I maintain a very small, close-knit social circle, which I've learned to do after so many arduous years here. I would be more comfortable in a city like San Francisco, Boston, New York or Chicago even though their city or state governments have not legalized things I feel should be legal, nor have they challenged the federal government to do so; i.e. euthanasia/physician-assisted suicide, lower drinking age, late-term abortion, same-sex marriage (exception: Boston,) etc. That being said, I am willing to understand and compromise that not everything I feel should be law is or ever will be in that area. However, I feel Arizona has gone to an extreme to a point of transgression and am at odds politically here. I don't like it enough here to compromise, and I personally feel that should Arizona start to grow again, with the image it's portraying nationwide it will likely attract more conservatives than moderates or liberals. I guess that's something to consider in the long-term. Would you be comfortable with that?

I laugh to myself when people say Arizona is mostly "Libertarian" and has a "live-and-let-live" attitude. I still see cars-- as recently as two weeks ago-- that show support for Proposition 102 (the same-sex marriage ban in 2008.) That is not a live-and-let-live attitude... that was up to voters, not politicians, and it passed by a fairly large margin. While you're researching Arizona, look into the Center for Arizona Policy and see some of their "successes" and plans for this year.

And two anecdotes for you: I had a bumper sticker on my car in 2003 (and there's probably a guideline on this forum that won't let me post the exact wording) that expressed my dismay with the Bush Administration. I kept getting notes (with horrible spelling and grammar) on my windshield saying how stupid I am, and I shouldn't vote, and saying I'm a (insert expletive here)...

And a few days ago, someone from Arizona's Democrats called to give me an update (and likely wanted donations and/or volunteer time) and when he asked if I had a minute to talk, I told him I'm moving. He sighed and sounded apathetic. I don't know if he's getting that a lot, if people don't see any point in taking up that cause here or what.

You do sound like you're passionate about your beliefs, and I think visiting a place for just a few days doesn't give you a fair, thorough or accurate feel. A lot of the sun-junkies here have on some serious rose-colored glasses for this place. Maybe you should also check out some local media regularly (AZCentral.com, East Valley Tribune, etc.) and read up on local affairs.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
It must have been the tattoo on his forehead that said Liberal. Otherwise I cant for the life of me imagine what was the problem.
Maybe they had a "Go Obama" shirt on? No, I guess they got out alive, so probably not. lol

Old 04-16-2011, 05:54 AM

1,942 posts, read 4,569,502 times
It depends. There are a lot of people in Arizona (including myself) who are not modern liberal (big government, nanny state) but feel severely insulted if someone labels them conservative. Some call themselves "independents." Others call themselves libertarians. Ironically, it's the independents and libertarians who are not extreme. The liberals and conservatives are the ones who are extreme. Either of the latter two camps want to violate my individual rights in some way.

If you are moving to Chandler, realize that it's part of the Phoenix metro area. I know you mentioned you are coming from Chicago, which is larger than Phoenix. However Phoenix is still large enough to have diverse opinions. There are a lot of atheists in Maricopa county who cannot stand social conservatives, yet they cannot stand the nanny state either. I'm an atheist and I never have run-ins with the Bible thumpers in Phoenix.

I worked in a small town in my 20s and early 30s. There seemed to be a church on every corner. I was one of a few atheists and happened to still at least have three different atheist girlfriends. Nevertheless I was used to people making the assumption that I have the same opinion as there's.

In a big city (Phoenix is one such), there are so many diverse opinions that most people have enough common sense to know that they cannot assume you have the same background.

Also I don't understand why you are concerned about Arizona as a whole. It's just a geographical area. You are intending to move into Chandler, which is part of the Phoenix metro. It' s far more different than moving to Globe. Think of large metro versus small community. You will discover most people in small communities mind your business while in large metro areas they mostly leave you alone.

Quote:
I would really like to hear from folks who had non-extreme political views and then moved to Arizona.

Please think about if things felt worse, better, or just like any other city before you comment. And I welcome thoughts on the "welcoming" or "non-welcoming" environment for those who do not label themselves "conservative".

I'm asking because my family and I plan on moving to the Chandler area in the next year or so. She used to live there and I have visited a few times and have liked the the terrain and promise of a more relaxed outdoors lifestyle (at least more than we have in Chicago).

But I'm getting reservations with all the not so flattering news stories coming out of Arizona... Even more so lately.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona