Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 6,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drt2002 View Post
Does anyone know anything about Lake Havasu City, AZ? The only thing I do know is that there are basically no African Americans in that particular city. However, I hear the city is beautiful and is a popular vacation spot. I'm curious about the surrounding cities. I'd like someone's honest opinion about whether or not Lake Havasu City is a nice place for a young, professional African-American family. We also have a 3rd grader, so any information about schools would be great.
I think its a retirment location, not completely of course. Tourists like it. If you are looking for a place to raise a family, there are far better choices. The lake there qualifies as a pond to most of us from outside AZ.
Its relatively remote, growing of course... like all towns in AZ.
I agree with the suggestion to look closer to phoenix and scottsdale where you have lots of options & some culture (this is not Boston, however).
Diane

Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM

39,110 posts, read 51,351,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dicon View Post
The lake there qualifies as a pond to most of us from outside AZ.

Diane
A 45 mile long "pond".

Old 12-31-2007, 05:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,161 times
Default Up to the individual

We all have freedom of choice, 5 years ago, I ivestigated relocating to Phoenix. My company has a practice there and I love the mountains. I traveled there and interviewed African Americans on the phoenix lifestyle.I was consistently told about the fabric racism, racism is not overt, but its an absolut in employment, education, society, etc etc. I also have a aunt and a cousin who stayed with a family friend in scotsdale. The next door neighbor could be heard asking thier host "why are those N*****S at your house". I will add that this was a man originally from NYC. I have lived in all white communities and even though I am a strong and large man, had a lot of stress moving around in that community.

Like I said initialy, if youre okay with it then follow your dreams.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 AM

788 posts, read 2,112,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmaya View Post
I'm new to this board, so greetings everyone first of all. I could'nt help but read Annabelle's blog regarding racism here in Arizona and the unfortunate incident at her child's school.

As a Black person, I think it's horrible what happened at such a young age. Unfortunately, as a young child attending a ballet school, I had the misfortune of a parent telling me when I was not near my mother that I couldn't come to the party of one of the girls in my class (the class was predominantly white) because I was Black. I was so shocked, I hadn't thought of myself as less worthy than them, I just stared at him. He was a cop in his day job, btw. That was my first experience with racism. I never was invited to that party by anyone, not that cared that much to go but hence, I experienced the social isolation that most Blacks in this country are probably used to.

Anyway, I grew up in Cicero, Illinois and remember KKK dressed in sheets coming through our neighborhood really fast on trucks. Gosh, the racism was so horrible what Blacks went through in my area of town. Even in recent years, I got called the n-word by a white woman who bumped into me in a mall where mostly Blacks were shopping. That being said, racism is everywhere and upon moving here, I kinda already mentally prepared myself to deal with it. The white women at the Glendale visiting center was really my first bad experience with it here. Other than them, everyone especially white people have been really nice in my opinion and i always focus on the positive.

Despite my experiences with racism, i still give everyone a chance and was raised to believe that most whites are NOT racist, just pockets here and there. I still believe that and heck, I've been treated at times poorly by other Blacks among other groups. So u really can't go by color too much in the way of expectations.

I do see what u mean about the hair situation (tho I haven't been here long enough to fully research this) and ur right about hair care being serious for the sistahs! I also have not seen a lot of soul food restaurants. BUT BLACKS shouldn't leave, they should start a business for what is needed. To move wouldn't make sense and I can tell u do not want to leave, maybe ur just feeling isolated when it comes to your experiences? Maybe u can start a club or way to connect with others who u feel can relate. If ur still reading this post (as I know it's old) let me know what u think about that.
I like your attitude

Old 01-01-2008, 04:52 PM

8 posts, read 30,009 times
Default Sounds great

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
What a great post!!!! I am now thinking of opening a hair salon or restaurant in Chandler!!
I'm glad ur inspired, I would go to but it may be too far for me.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 30,009 times
Default about the census

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoddessofRandomThoughts View Post
Wow! Had to read through all of this before asking a question!

I have been considering moving to Arizona soon, in about 6 to 8 months, and had sorta wondered about where to live.

I usually don't worry about being one of a few black folks in the area because it usually isnt a problem. But I had noted that in some places in Az we don't even rate on the census

Being from DC originally, that's hard to grasp.
Presently I'm in AK so I'm used to a large mix of people.

I have been to Pheonix and it seemed fine. My friends were white and I didn't see a problem.

But the place I am looking at is a very small town (Ajo)starting an artist community and lists no blacks to my knowledge.

I'm not worried about the size of the town because, hey , I can always drive to a bigger place. But you guys have me wondering about other things.

U may have to visit to really know, because the census is not very reliable sometimes the data is old. I researched the census before I moved to my area (northwest of phoenix) and it read there was a very small percentage of Blacks living here but when I go outside and drive around my area, I see a sizable amount of Blacks everywhere-way more than what I expected. I was really surprised actually. i don't know about a "small" town tho. Sounds interesting about the "artist community". I say go for it!

Old 01-01-2008, 10:39 PM

183 posts, read 287,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSchultz33 View Post
You all could learn a lesson of two from our Mexican population! I went to high school and college in AZ and most of my friends were of different races than my self - didn't matter one bit! If someone asked me what race a friend of mine was – I’d really have to think about it – it’s transparent. I’d probably asked them to clarify the question! In my experience, blacks from the south seem to want to draw lines between cultures. However on a positive note - the black behavior I have experienced has given me a new APPRECIATION for AZ Hispanic population with their real struggles and how well they assimilate in to their communities. I'm sure if someone said "hang em high" it would mean something totally different to you - than it does to us in Arizona. You would be ready to scream and sue whoever said it.. Get over it or please leave.
So Mexicans are less racist than Black people now. This is complete bull. Mexicans hate just like every other race does. There just not as upfront about it like Blacks and Whites are. You should check out California the mexicans over there are starting to be more upfront about it because they are becoming the majority over there. If you look at the big picture it's not about the race or nationality of people that determines if there racist or not. It's more about how they were brought up or taught by people from the previous generation. As you already know this county was a completely different place years ago. 40 years ago Blacks didn't even have any civil rights and were pretty much considered property. So you can imagine how people(especially whites and blacks) thought back then. You talk about Mississippi and how racist the black people were. That's because a lot of the horrible stuff from back in the day is still fresh in their minds. That place is so behind the times alot of blacks still hold a grudge against alot of white people to this day. You gotta remember this is a state that was completely against civil rights and was in the confederacy back during the civil war. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what kind of mentality they have over there.

Honestly I hate it when somebody speaks highly about Hispanics(particularly Mexicans) and their struggles and everything but completely ignores a black persons struggles(been struggling for 400 years by the way). They usually make an excuse saying that blacks are lazy and violent they're not hardworking like the mexicans. The difference is Mexicans haven't learned that no matter what you do in this country you're always in some way are going to be looked down as a second class citizen because of the color of your skin. Sure you can get rich in this country but you can never be wealthy and powerful. There's a reason why there are only two minority billionaires in this country versus the hundreds of white billionaires. You can bet the horses that the two minorities did it in a 100% legit and non-criminal way. Can't say the same for the whites. My point is that blacks have already learned this about the this country. You're always are gonna be SECOND CLASS in this country. Hopefully it won't always be like this for America.
But if you look at past history and the present you'll see the BIG PICTURE. There's always gonna be some kind of racism because of the so many different nationalities around this globe. Everybody is so different and have their own ways. It's just natural to poke fun or say something negative or positive about another race. That's never going away. Where racism goes wrong is when a certain group of people(white people for example) have the power and control of a nation(the united states) and they abuse that power and oppress another group of people in the same nation(blacks,hispanics,pretty much anbody other than white people). It happens not only in this country but every country in this world. From first world to third world. IT'S REALLY TRUE THAT ALL MEN ARE CREATED EQUAL but they left of the part about MEN WHO HAVE POWER TRY TO CONTROL THOSE WHO DON'T.

The people who have power just have alot of these people fooled(usually ignorant people). Because they don't want to lose the power they have(what human being does). See what power amongst a race or a group can do to nation of people. It turns each group(blacks,whites,hispanics,asians,native americans,etc) against another. I'm not saying that all whites have power and control but since they have the most power at the top(politically and in the corporate world) Whites are going have a huge advantage and a much easier time becoming sucessful than a black or hispanic person is just because they're white. If you're not white it's always gonna be much harder to get ahead just because the color of your skin. There are people to this day who can't even look past a persons skin color to even see what type of personality they have and what type of character they are. It's sickening. There's a reason why a vast majority of blacks and hispanics are poor. They don't get the same advantages as a white person growing up. They don't have the same type of schools, shopping areas, recreation,etc in their neighborhoods. Those places are usually second rate to the ones in the white neighborhoods. There's also never a shortage of liquor stores,fast food places and gun shops in a black or hispanic neighborhood. It's almost like an adventure to try to find one in a white area. Black and Hispanic neighborhoods rarely have things like heath food stores but they have plenty of check cashing places, strip clubs and funeral homes. My point is that people who have to grow up in economically depressed area(majority of blacks and hispanics) that's a challenge within a challenge. Not to mention the crime and violence that happen in these areas. When you're poor and trying to survive people do crazy things so it shouldn't be limited to just Blacks and Mexicans. Of course crime rates are going to be low amongst whites a higher percentage of them have money and don't need to commit crimes. The average sane person be it white, black, hispanic, etc doesn't want to commit crimes for no reason. They usually don't have much of a choice. Again these neighborhoods don't have the same oppourtunities as the average white area.

I can go on all night about this topic but I hope you get my point. Racism is colorless no group is no more racist than the other group. The real problem is when you combine power+racism+ignorance all in one and a certain group tries to oppress all the other group because they have the money and power. Get Educated, see the big picture and you'll know why everybody acts the way they do. Nobody is better than the next person. We all are one so why can't we all be civilized, be treated equally and get the same chances. This nation and world would be much better place if we just look at the BIG PICTURE

Old 01-02-2008, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
You gotta remember this is a state that was completely against civil rights and was in the confederacy back during the civil war. So it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what kind of mentality they have over there.
Yes. Racism comes from fear or desire for power, but so does resentment, and resentment can also be a form of racism. When will it end? When people stop fearing or resenting each other because of an innate trait. In some cases, we know when someone is racist, and in others, we have to read between the lines. Racism is present in the form of resentment or fear, everwhere, whether spoken or not. The horrible things that white men and women did to black men and women for hundreds of years does not justify resentment toward me, a white woman, anymore than I should resent someone born in Germany because of the horrors done during WWII, even if I didn't experience that horror personally. But that's the thing...resentment continues even in those who have never experienced the horrors of slavery or extreme oppression, and because I was born with fair skin, I am often the target of racism myself, despite having had no part in any racist activities myself, words included. I think that everyone needs to just stop and look at individuals for who they are and what they think, rather than assuming that a white person is racist, or a black person is this or that. As long as anyone resents other people because of their appearance, racism will continue. Maybe if we all just strive to be the best we can be as individuals, including respecting anyone who deserves respect because of who they are as humans, racism will no longer be fashionable or the mentality of the sheep. Maybe that's not possible for all, but if racists become the minority, maybe we can finally evolve into a civilized society.

In other words, we all should just live the best life we can, regardless of what any naysayers might throw our way. These days, there are no more limitations in the US for any race. If you work hard enough, you can be anything you want to be. Brown vs. Board of Education opened the door for the civil rights movement, so there's really nothing anyone can do to restrain anyone else based on race. If there is some restriction somewhere, there are plenty of civil rights lawyers to contact, and I'll be the first to picket in that racist town, but only as long as it's a real case of racism, and not retaliation or done out of greed.

I just think we need to let the past go and try to see each other as people. But I'm an idealist, I guess.

Old 01-02-2008, 02:40 AM

183 posts, read 287,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artliquide View Post
Racism is present in the form of resentment or fear, everwhere, whether spoken or not. The horrible things that white men and women did to black men and women for hundreds of years does not justify resentment toward me, a white woman, anymore than I should resent someone born in Germany because of the horrors done during WWII, even if I didn't experience that horror personally.

But that's the thing...resentment continues even in those who have never experienced the horrors of slavery or extreme oppression, and because I was born with fair skin, I am often the target of racism myself, despite having had no part in any racist activities myself, words included.

I think that everyone needs to just stop and look at individuals for who they are and what they think, rather than assuming that a white person is racist, or a black person is this or that. As long as anyone resents other people because of their appearance, racism will continue. Maybe if we all just strive to be the best we can be as individuals, including respecting anyone who deserves respect because of who they are as humans, racism will no longer be fashionable or the mentality of the sheep. Maybe that's not possible for all, but if racists become the minority, maybe we can finally evolve into a civilized society.

In other words, we all should just live the best life we can, regardless of what any naysayers might throw our way. These days, there are no more limitations in the US for any race. If you work hard enough, you can be anything you want to be. Brown vs. Board of Education opened the door for the civil rights movement, so there's really nothing anyone can do to restrain anyone else based on race. If there is some restriction somewhere, there are plenty of civil rights lawyers to contact, and I'll be the first to picket in that racist town, but only as long as it's a real case of racism, and not retaliation or done out of greed.

I just think we need to let the past go and try to see each other as people. But I'm an idealist, I guess.
Good points but we gotta look at reality. America needs to wake up seriously. In 50 years this nation will be mostly brown and black. Instead of throwing away federal money on wars and things like building more prisons. They need to invest that money towards the schools in the black and hispanic communities because this is where half the future is going to be coming from. White people also need to stop isolating themselves and running away whenever somebody black or hispanic moves into their neighborhood. They just want the same things you have and they're trying to live a nice life too. When ever whites leave a community because blacks and hispanics start move in that area gets neglected and goes to ****. The middle class white people first leave then money invested into the schools dissapear because the government isn't going to invest in a predominatly black or hispanic area then the schools go back then the schools go bad and then middle class blacks follow the whites that previously left because they got better schools for there kids. Now you have a low income area and low performing schools with no opportunies for the kids. So that by itself those communites can't even get a decent education. If the government is going to keep neglecting blacks and hispanics it's going to fire back on them and this country. The country will go downhill very quickly if they don't get smart.

Alot of white people I know who say racism was a long time ago it barely exists. You guys(blacks) have the same opportunities that us. There's alot of rich blacks on tv playing sports or rapping or whatever else. Have no idea how hard it is for a black person in this country. We face racism pretty much everyday even upfront sometimes but for most part behind our backs. Just because of the color of our skin we are quickly stereotyped and judged. Those horrible things in the past still effect us still to this day. Civil Rights only happened in the 60's. Slavery only ended back in mid 1800's and blacks have been apart of this country since the 1500's. Hell my mom and pops couldn't even ride the bus to school because they were black. This is my parents and they're only a generation before me. I serously believe sometimes that the government is purposely trying to destroy the black community. They want to neglect us so bad hoping that we're gonna end up killing ourselves. The majority of the goverment and corporate america is full of minority hating biggots who think that they rule the country because they have the money and the power. Since they have that they want to rule over everybody and neglecte the people that they hate including women. They are purposely holding us back. If that isn't enough fuel for the minorities of the next generation and the ones down the road when they will have the numbers to try to overthrow the powers that be. It can be hell down the road or,

Maybe my generation(born in the 80's) will be smarter than the baby boomers and see the big picture and will be more progressive and open minded. Maybe we might be able to make alot of your idealist facts come to life and let go of the past and become one human race like we're suppose to be doing because all men and women are created equal. Abuse of power and racism is a perfect combination for destruction.

Last edited by nickluva; 01-02-2008 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: juat cause

Old 01-02-2008, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickluva View Post
Good points but we gotta look at reality. America needs to wake up seriously. In 50 years this nation will be mostly brown and black. Instead of throwing away federal money on wars and things like building more prisons. They need to invest that money towards the schools in the black and hispanic communities because this is where half the future is going to be coming from. White people also need to stop isolating themselves and running away whenever somebody black or hispanic moves into their neighborhood. They just want the same things you have and they're trying to live a nice life too. When ever whites leave a community because blacks and hispanics start move in that area gets neglected and goes to ****. The middle class white people first leave then money invested into the schools dissapear because the government isn't going to invest in a predominatly black or hispanic area then the schools go back then the schools go bad and then middle class blacks follow the whites that previously left because they got better schools for there kids. Now you have a low income area and low performing schools with no opportunies for the kids. So that by itself those communites can't even get a decent education. If the government is going to keep neglecting blacks and hispanics it's going to fire back on them and this country. The country will go downhill very quickly if they don't get smart.

Alot of white people I know who say racism was a long time ago it barely exists. You guys(blacks) have the same opportunities that us. There's alot of rich blacks on tv playing sports or rapping or whatever else. Have no idea how hard it is for a black person in this country. We face racism pretty much everyday even upfront sometimes but for most part behind our backs. Just because of the color of our skin we are quickly stereotyped and judged. Those horrible things in the past still effect us still to this day. Civil Rights only happened in the 60's. Slavery only ended back in mid 1800's and blacks have been apart of this country since the 1500's. Hell my mom and pops couldn't even ride the bus to school because they were black. This is my parents and they're only a generation before me. I serously believe sometimes that the government is purposely trying to destroy the black community. They want to neglect us so bad hoping that we're gonna end up killing ourselves. The majority of the goverment and corporate america is full of minority hating biggots who think that they rule the country because they have the money and the power. Since they have that they want to rule over everybody and neglecte the people that they hate including women. They are purposely holding us back. If that isn't enough fuel for the minorities of the next generation and the ones down the road when they will have the numbers to try to overthrow the powers that be. It can be hell down the road or,

Maybe my generation(born in the 80's) will be smarter than the baby boomers and see the big picture and will be more progressive and open minded. Maybe we might be able to make alot of your idealist facts come to life and let go of the past and become one human race like we're suppose to be doing because all men and women are created equal. Abuse of power and racism is a perfect combination for destruction.
Yes, there are still people around who felt the effects of segregation and even more destructive racism prior to the civil rights movement, but what I'm saying is that rather than complaining about racism today, any racially motivated acts need to be brought to court because the precedent that was set by Brown v. Board of Education needs to be used. We can't change people's minds or the past, but when the legal door was opened, as far as history and social change are concerned, the people who want change became the ones responsible for making sure it happens. Once the court judged initially that something was racist legally, there was no going back. So, in a sense, even though there are scars from the past, the past can no longer exist. So, the solution, in my opinion, is to stop pointing fingers and instead educate ourselves and make this society more equal ourselves. We can't expect others to change, so we can only change ourselves and our environments. We need to use the tools that so many fought and died for, rather than placing blame on others based on race, so that we don't perpetuate the problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona