Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 02:55 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The Innocence Project has exonerated wrongfully convicted people for years, some who were on death row. There are too many to list. Many of these people were arrested because they were Black, poor, had an accent or just didn't look like the rest of us.

If I am just "spouting air" as you claim, then why do police chiefs claim the new law will increase violent crime?

AZ Police Chiefs Decry Immigration Checks (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_pl2268 - broken link)

"It's very divisive," said John Harris, head of the Arizona Association of Chiefs of Police, at a press conference after the meeting. "It puts Arizona law enforcement right in the middle. It makes it really difficult for us to police our communities."
The chiefs are not in the trenches. The people who have to deal with the illegals support 1070.

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/phoen...2/daily37.html

Old 07-27-2010, 03:10 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,381 times
Quote:
The Innocence Project has exonerated wrongfully convicted people for years, some who were on death row. There are too many to list. Many of these people were arrested because they were Black, poor, had an accent or just didn't look like the rest of us.
What exactly does this have to do with SB1070? You're talking about people who were found guilty in a court of law by a jury of their peers. How can you compare this to detaining a person while verifying their legal status?

Old 07-27-2010, 03:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Default State vs Federal

In case nobody noticed, I live in Florida. We have more undocumented workers here than in Arizona according to national estimates.

Yes, I get very frustrated when I'm asked if I speak Spanish when applying for work. Yes, I don't want my taxes paying for medical care for illegal immigrants or their children when I am sitting here burdened with thousands of dollars in hospital bills. However, this law is racist and unnecessary and has nothing to do with protecting our borders.

It's interesting that so many people are bringing up unemployment & the economy when I've heard Jan Brewer clearly state that most of the illegals crossing the border do not come here for jobs. She said they are drug criminals. So doesn't it make sense to spend the time & money on securing the borders which is exactly what the current administration has done since taking office. The millions of illegal immigrants didn't come to the U.S. in the past 18 months, yet suddenly it's a very big issue. Why? Because of fear. Our country is in deep doo-doo so it must be all their fault. Someone lost his $50,000 a year job, so it must be the fault of the Mexican guy down the road who mows lawns for minimum wage.

Remember the border patrol officers in Texas who were imprisoned and given 12 years for shooting a Mexican drug smuggler? That happened in 2005 and the 2 officers were convicted in 2006. Who was in the White House then? I can't imagine that happening now, but it's okay when there's a Republican President and a Republican Congress in power. (Yes, I know Bush commuted the sentences for these 2 men, but they were in prison for over 2 years.) The 2 agents were sentenced to 11 & 12 years in prison for violating an unarmed man's civil rights. It didn't matter that he was here illegally or that he was a drug smuggler.

Now we've gone to the other extreme. Nobody seems to care about civil rights, since the AZ immigration law allows law enforcement to question anyone who looks reasonably suspicious. So what happens if you don't have your papers on you when you're running out to 7-Eleven for a quart of milk? I just pray that nobody here who supports 1070B is ever in trouble and needs an ambulance or the police, and the only people nearby are immigrants who are afraid to call 911 because they might look "suspicious."

Last edited by justNancy; 07-27-2010 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: fix post

Old 07-27-2010, 03:54 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I doubt it as well. My dad was a Los Angeles police officer and he swore to "enforce" the laws.
Motley, both you and Ritchie have now expressed doubts that I'm a police officer. Do you realize that that amounts to calling me a liar?

I'm fairly new to City-Data, and an irregular poster. I joined up because I'm approaching retirement, and wanted some feel for what daily life is like in places I might want retire to.

As far as I can remember, I had never mentioned my profession in any previous forum before joining the discussion on this board regarding SB 1070. I never had a reaon to. I only did so here because I thought my experiences as a police officer in a heavily hispanic mid-sized L.A. Co. city might be relevent to the discussion. Throughout, I've tried to be respectful and temperate in my posts. For the most part, I think I've been sucessful. When I haven't, I've issued apologies.

Now, you guys can privately harbor all the "doubts" about me you like. But if you express them publicly, you are impugning my integrity. That is a very serious thing for a police officer, guys. If it can be proven that we lied in any official capacity, we are automatically fired. Not because we're evil, or subject to overly strick discipline rules, but for the simple practical fact that, once we've had a "lying" charge sustained against us, and it goes into our packet, we can no longer testify in court. Our records are "discoverable" through a "Pitchess" motion. The defense will find out, our testimony will be tainted, and the State will lose the case. So, since we are now useless to the profession, we're fired.

If you review my posts, they contain several examples of my real-life experiences with illegal immigrants. They are consistent and as detailed as I can make them, and still preserve mine and others annonimity.

What is interesting to me is, why do you doubt me? I've provided plenty of reason for a reaonable person to believe that I'm exactly who and what I say I am. Is it because I don't fit your stereotype of what a police officer SHOULD think about this issue? Do you guys stereotype people much?

Over the past few months, and about 50 posts on 10 differen threads, I have gained some insight into what the real problems are in Arizona. And I've come to the conclusion that "illegal aliens" is just one of them.

You guys do realize that, after you've chased the last Mexican out of your state, you're still going to be stuck with each other, right?

Old 07-27-2010, 04:21 PM

148 posts, read 550,405 times
Arrow Read in local newspaper here in SC business owner complaining about Illegals leaving WAKE UP

We read about a business owner who was upset because the illegals are leaving and he said his business is down and the locals do not come out side no more.
WELL HELLO Maybe now Az people can have those jobs even if its min, wage. Now they can come out because they where forced to stay in because of being over ran by the illegals and the people who helped them out. (BULLIED)
Have you noticed that they all come in groups wont speak english forcing Spanish on America . They say we are being racist. The Hispanic are racist. If you notice when they shop they will support a hispanic business or person before they would an American business or person. Ag Our children parents grandchildren friends and others are losing there jobs home and some are catering to the ones who are breaking the law here. This is a Security problem National .And A health problem.
I can see that they dont want the fence. I can see why. The only land close to them that is free is USA soil. But they brought it on themselves.
I was sitting at a flea market. Noticed that all hispanic went to hispanic booths. One lady was at a booth she was going to buy a purse from this lady but the other three ladies came over spoke hispanic they went over to the other hispanic and bought her item which was 3.00 more. They only support hispnaic. They dont care about america. Just taking over one way or another. Using babies born in the usa . But the nation Better support AZ> They have a fight on their hands. I pray every nite they win.If you want to come here you come here legally. Hispanics not the only ones there others, But they dont push there countires life on us. Or force there language on use. ( press 1 for english press 2 for spanish get it)

Old 07-27-2010, 04:23 PM

923 posts, read 1,430,381 times
Quote:
Now we've gone to the other extreme. Nobody seems to care about civil rights, since the AZ immigration law allows law enforcement to question anyone who looks reasonably suspicious.
You really need to read the law before making foolish statements like this.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:36 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
Quote:
Throughout, I've tried to be respectful and temperate in my posts.
By name calling? By flaming? I think you are mischaracterizing yourself. Do I need to go back and quote you?

Which leads me to...

Quote:
What is interesting to me is, why do you doubt me?

Old 07-27-2010, 05:08 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitem3 View Post
You really need to read the law before making foolish statements like this.
I really have, honestly. Unfortunately, anyone who disagrees with its constitutionality is called ignorant or misinformed.

You can be arrested for driving a family member to church if you're stopped and your passenger is in this country illegally. It's a witch hunt and won't stop drug smugglers or deter violent crime.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:24 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
I really have, honestly. Unfortunately, anyone who disagrees with its constitutionality is called ignorant or misinformed.

You can be arrested for driving a family member to church if you're stopped and your passenger is in this country illegally. It's a witch hunt and won't stop drug smugglers or deter violent crime.
That word says it all!

Old 07-27-2010, 05:30 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,519,343 times
Quote:
You can be arrested for driving a family member to church if you're stopped and your passenger is in this country illegally.
That's not what the law says at all. So how can you say that you've read it?
If the driver is stopped for speeding on the way to church and doesn't have a drivers license, the police officer will then ask further questions if he has a "reasonable suspicion" that the person may be an illegal alien. Then, depending on how those questions were answered, the person my be ticketed and sent on their way to church, or detained and turned over to ICE/U.S. Customs.
What's wrong with that? How is that racist?

Quote:
So what happens if you don't have your papers on you when you're running out to 7-Eleven for a quart of milk?
If you are a legal alien, federal law requires you to carry the appropriate "paperwork" with you everywhere you do. By not carrying it, the legal alien is violating federal immigration law (as "petty" as that may sound... the rules are the rules and that person agreed to abide by them).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona