Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 09:15 AM

17 posts, read 22,364 times

Advertisements

Which city buildings have the most beautiful, grand and opulent interiors in the US? Specifically focusing on the interiors of public-accessible buildings/museums/libraries/etc..that have stunning architecture or beautiful marble/stone halls/ceilings/floors/staircases? Specific buildings and interiors recommendations to see welcome!

Last edited by waltzpiano; 11-03-2022 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 09:26 AM

27,165 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Washington DC if factoring public accessible.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:47 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
NYC and DC. Then probably Boston and Philadelphia. Maybe Chicago, although it has less of the old grandeur type buildings commonly found in the others.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:48 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
The lobby at Comcast Center is pretty impressive. There’s a 2,000 square foot LED display. The Christmas show is a major tourist attraction.

Old 11-03-2022, 09:54 AM

27,165 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
NYC and DC. Then probably Boston and Philadelphia. Maybe Chicago, although it has less of the old grandeur type buildings commonly found in the others.
The OP was referencing public accessibility. You can't go waltzing in to sightsee in many NYC buildings for security reasons.

Old 11-03-2022, 10:57 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
I’ve always been very awestruck by the grandeur of the Chicago Cultural Center, particularly the massive Tiffany dome which I believe is the largest in the world. The Field Museum and Drake Hotel also come to mind.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:11 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The OP was referencing public accessibility. You can't go waltzing in to sightsee in many NYC buildings for security reasons.
Still a fair amount...

Grand Central Terminal, Public Library, Beekman Hotel, Empire State Building (lobby), Chrysler Building (Lobby), Oculus, St. Patrick's Cathedral, basically any old ornate hotel (expect the Plaza), some museums you can view the lobby without purchasing a ticket (The MET for example).

I've done unannounced NYC architectural tours in college.

But yea, there may be more accessible options in DC.

Old 11-03-2022, 11:20 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
I haven't been in a while, so I don 't know what public access is anymore. But the interior of the Surrogates Court building in lower Manhattan (sometimes seen in Law & Order episodes) is the most impressive and beautiful of the older public buildings I've ever seen. Just breathtakingly beautiful from the moment you walk in. Please take a look. I bet you'll agree!

https://untappedcities.com/2022/05/0...ourthouse-nyc/

Last edited by citylove101; 11-03-2022 at 11:41 AM..

Old 11-03-2022, 11:59 AM

1,029 posts, read 561,806 times
On top of my head:

NYC Grand Central

NYC Public Library near Bryant Park

NYC Cunard building, 25 Broadway

NYC the Police Building, 240 Centre St

NYC the MET

NYC the Beekman.

All these are public-accessible.

In LA:

I love Union Station, Los Angeles Theater (615 South Broadway.)

Huntington Museum/Botanic Garden

Does Getty Center count? It’s more modern than opulent, but it’s open to public, it’s grand and majestic.

In Cleveland Ohio:

Severance Hall

The Connor Palace: performance art theater

Florida:

The Breaker hotel

The Colony hotel

Vizcaya Museum

The Ringling in Sarasota

Houston Tx:

The MFA

Rienzi, the European Decorative Arts Museum

Bayou Bend Collection & Gardens

Hotel Graduca

The Houstonian Hotel

La Combe d’Or hôtel

The Astonian

NOLA:

Hotel Monteleone (stayed there once, it’s a bit old and the crowd a bit trashy but the interior is in the “opulent” category nonetheless.

And some restaurants that I completely forgot the names now in French Quarter.

These are the places I have been personally just right on top of my head, I’m sure there are more popping up later. (For example D.C must have many buildings/architecture that fit the description but I’m not too familiar with D.C.)

Old 11-03-2022, 12:00 PM

1,675 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Publicly accessible or not, there's an umpteen amount of buildings in NYC that fit this criteria. Endless amounts of hi-rises (resi and commercial) that fit this bill. My old building 99 John Street downtown had one of the sickest Art Deco lobbies you'll ever see. And these are all over the city.

Furthermore, you can still enter a lot of the publicly accessible buildings in NYC and witness all of this grandeur without ever having to pass through security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum