Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 01:35 PM

7 posts, read 8,118 times

Advertisements

We have recently purchased this house and it is in desperate need of some curb appeal. It currently has raw (and dark staining from sun) cedar vertical siding with forest green metal window cladding, door cladding and fascia.

All ideas are on the table for us, but if possible we would like to keep the green metal cladding alone for now. It will be expensive to re-clad and have seen a lot of issues when people try to paint that with the endless peeling and bubbling....
Attached Thumbnails
Exterior facade help-download.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2022, 02:16 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I’m not sure what you can do with this. It’s a natural wood contemporary. I like the dark green windows and accents. The only thing I can think of is replacing the cedar vertical siding with cedar shakes. It would add more texture to the flat cedar wood expanses on the house. You could even get a little fanciful on the front with shingles by incorporating an interesting shingle design on a prominent portion of the front facade. I’d check out various websites for idea. Some links to consider below. Jay

https://cdrshgl.wpengine.com/home-2/

https://www.google.com/search?channe...&bih=701&dpr=2

Old 01-17-2022, 12:52 PM

6,356 posts, read 4,173,212 times
Why cover or alter the cedar, it’s a great surface for a house but getting a finish that will last for 5 or 6 years can be a challenge if not done properly.

I would have it power washed and treated with a wood prep/cleaner and then have it prepared and sealed with a semi-solid exterior wood stain by a good painting contractor. Cedar is a great siding material, however it needs to be properly maintained.

Architecturally, it’s a contemporary style house and vertical board siding is a perfect choice in completing the character of the house and design, IMO!

Old 01-19-2022, 05:17 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I would stain the faded cedar. Light to medium in darkness, so just a little darker that how it looks now. Keep the green trim. Put 2 or 3 large potted plants at the top of the driveway to cover the uneven concrete and base trim. Everything else looks nice.

Old 01-19-2022, 05:22 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
did the house come with the old bread truck hot rod?!

Old 01-20-2022, 02:27 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
The green is waaaaaaaay toooooo bold for me! And cladding can be painted; and it can last a long time if done properly- and with the right paint.

I don't have a problem with green- it's just not the "right green"! A "black green" would work well with the siding, like BM's Black Forest Green

The siding just needs cleaned, brightened, stained and sealed.

But, I'm really scratching my head on why would you take half a driveway to expand a house and leave a garage inaccessible to cars!???

The 40's delivery truck next door is quite the eye-catcher!

Old 01-20-2022, 02:44 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The green is waaaaaaaay toooooo bold for me! And cladding can be painted; and it can last a long time if done properly- and with the right paint.

I don't have a problem with green- it's just not the "right green"! A "black green" would work well with the siding, like BM's Black Forest Green

The siding just needs cleaned, brightened, stained and sealed.

But, I'm really scratching my head on why would you take half a driveway to expand a house and leave a garage inaccessible to cars!???

The 40's delivery truck next door is quite the eye-catcher!
I’m guessing that the garage in back was originally for the house next door. It looks to me like the lot for this house was subdivided off the lot for that house and the garage was just left back there. Jay

Old 01-20-2022, 05:44 PM

7 posts, read 8,118 times
Thanks for everyone's input. I had a couple painters come and quote the job in the summer and the consensus was the if we tried to paint the cladding, it would blister and peel and we would be touching it up forever....

We were considering putting rock over the bottom 2 feet instead of the uneven parging... We were also going to remove some the beams on the outside of the house, the ones on the top by the roof are real and structural, but the vertical ones and the ones coming out of the lower level are FAKE! Think of trimming the top ones to just under the gutters and remove all the fake ones - that will get rid of a lot of the green too...??

The house was built it 1910 and was a one story, half the width and the garage was fine, then it had a major addition in 1980 added and that blocked off the garage. There are a lot of really crazy things with this house... but that is OK, we probably could not have afforded it if it wasn't bizarre... lol. We bought it last summer and the front facade was always out of favor with us....

Old 01-20-2022, 07:16 PM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
I wouldn't remove the fake beams unless they are in bad shape. They give the house some character. I like the stone idea for the bottom two feet.

Old 01-21-2022, 02:33 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
I see no reason to add another element to the house (stone)- will just make it more "busy" than it already is!

I think the painters are just lazy and don't want to put the effort in to properly preparing, priming, and painting the cladding (correct materials, paint, primer). You did say "metal", so I'll assume it's aluminum.

Is this house really in BH, Cali? I know there's some eclectic stuff there, but...wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum