Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 05:39 PM

396 posts, read 434,675 times

Advertisements

Hi! Opinions on sliders vs French doors. Home is a 1960's expanded split, renovating the whole place. Replacing the current French doors, which lead out to an enclosed patio. I was all set on replacing with new French doors, but the contractor is suggesting we go with sliders, as they use less space. I like the look of French doors, but maybe sliders would be a better choice. We have plenty of space, so not too worried about that. Thoughts? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2021, 10:41 PM

1,935 posts, read 5,829,251 times
For your home's period/style, sliders are likely more appropriate for the original architecture. But patio doors could work well too if they are full-length glass or have 2-3 horizontal mullions dividing full length glass doors. Whatever you do, buy a high quality wood product!

Old 12-16-2021, 03:23 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Have done both.

The slider is just a better choice as stated above.
Then there are the curtains - and how the curtains operate.

Also, purchase a 2nd screen door and put in storage.
Yes, the big box stores do sell replacement screen doors. Sometimes they fit perfectly. Sometimes not.

Old 12-16-2021, 09:36 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
If you want “period correct”- slider!
If you want a product that will last longer, have better sealing, requires less maintenance, and are not hampered by blinds (because they can be inside the glass; or mounted to the door), I’d go French doors! And, IF space were a premium you can always go with reverse swing doors (swing out)- And yes, they can be just as secure as an in-swing.

And you certainly don’t “need” an extra screen door! They can be “re-screened” if torn, and rollers are readily available for replacement- they are not “rocket science” to operate OR maintain!

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 12-16-2021 at 09:51 AM..

Old 12-16-2021, 01:22 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Are the French doors that are today original if so, stick with? If not then you can decide on either. As noted French doors take up a lot of room. Is there room for the doors to swing or could the room use the extra space. Up to you. Jay

Old 12-16-2021, 02:36 PM

640 posts, read 448,879 times
When you say you have "expanded split," are these doors leading into the addition? If yes, as stated by Unit731, curtains make all the difference. If you have them, go with sliders; otherwise French doors would work, too. Depending on where you are you could find a local company that manufacturers doors. In the NE it's Harvey Building Products, which provides lifetime warranties, or at least used to.

I had a vinyl sliding door leading to the deck replaced by them. (Despite my reservations about using vinyl doors, the product so far exceeded my expectations. So no more wood doors or windows for me that shrink, need repainting/restaining.) The company replaced the screen door for free when it was torn by snow removal operations.

I also believe sliders provide better weatherproofing than French doors, as the slider design makes only the vertical edge exposed to weather, and when tightened, it effectively closes.

Old 12-17-2021, 06:58 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I hate sliders. After a few years they invariably get hard to operate, the tracks constantly accumulate debris, the locking hardware is junk. Aside from style, I'd go with French doors a thousand times over sliding doors.

And just because a house was built in the 1960s does NOT mean it is or should be turned into mid-century modern style.

Old 12-23-2021, 08:51 PM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times
French doors are easier to force open if you have security concerns. But -- if someone wants to get in bad enough, they will.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
I hate sliders. After a few years they invariably get hard to operate, the tracks constantly accumulate debris, the locking hardware is junk. Aside from style, I'd go with French doors a thousand times over sliding doors.

And just because a house was built in the 1960s does NOT mean it is or should be turned into mid-century modern style.
This. All of it. OP, sliders are cheap junk. And the wood framing on the French doors provides much better insulation, than the metal framing on the sliders. And if you varnish the wood, the wood adds a warm look to the house.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:06 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,739,106 times
It's YOUR home, get what YOU want, not what the contractor want's to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Architecture Forum