Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2024, 11:22 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,877,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
This is an example why I would never expatriate to any country in the Western Hemisphere south of the US. What may appear stable, can become unstable in any of these countries in Central or South America.
If this concerns you just rent. The ones who are overly concerned are those who put a large chunk of their life savings into real estate or other investments. Then again, these are the ones who will tell you everything will be fine in time and they probably are right. Just a question of can you stomach living for 5-15 years in a less stable environment. If you cannot, always rent and keep your money in your "home" country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2024, 06:06 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
That’s no reason to not go. Plenty of people went to Costa Rica, Panama, etc and those places are as stable as they were when they first went there.

Most people that move from North America to Latin America are either from there, descendants of people from there or American retirees. Most Americans once they reached retirement are looking for life continuing perhaps for another 20 or 30 years. Most countries in Latin America have been stable for that long and even longer.

Within North America, which has also been stable for a long time, has had moments when things were not stable. Look at the USA. It once had a Civil War, to name one instability. At any given time, considering for how long stability has reigned in the USA, the place could become unstable again. It happen before, no guarantees it can’t happen again.

The point is that not moving to a place that is stable because it may not be in the future is quite dumb since nowhere is excempt from becoming unstable, not even the USA. Plus, most people that move to Latin America continue to live there with no major problems.

Just because a handful of Latin American countries are going through instability doesn’t mean most are or will be in the near future
sorry, there has been decades of instability in Central and South America. It's well documented.

What's dumb is ignoring it can happen.

Old 03-25-2024, 06:09 PM

10,056 posts, read 14,929,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
sorry, there has been decades of instability in Central and South America. It's well documented.

What's dumb is ignoring it can happen.
The region had many recent years of growing its middle class and that doesn’t happen with instability.

Old 03-26-2024, 09:54 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I believe CD member Sand&Salt lives in Ecuador as a retiree.
Yes, we do live in Ecuador full-time except for 3 months in SoCal where I'm from. We noticed not one issue during the supposed uprising. We saw nothing where we are along the coast, nowhere near Esmeralda which always had a bad rep. No difference in supplies in the stores. I have relatives and friends in GYE and Quito and they say nothing was/is happening there either. I think it was overblown, though I'm not downplaying the real problems here. They just don't affect US at all (so far).

It's just another 85 degree day on the beach!

I'm more worried about being in the San Diego area during the election. Hope there won't be riots in the streets this November.

Correa did many good things but did get in deep debt to China who financed much infrastructure here. I think they get oil in return. But we have bridges and malls so no complaints. How corrupt he was, I don't know. Just like all politicians. But at least we have free health care to show for it. And workers have way more rights than any employee in the U.S.

I never cared for Amelia and whats-his-name's videos. Not very honest, imo. Just showing the "good stuff" which is not helpful at all for would-be expats. Someone needs to show the downsides too. But DH finds them entertaining. Looks like they bailed out from here anyway....

Old 03-26-2024, 03:47 PM

20,097 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Ecuador’s youngest mayor and her press officer were found Sunday shot to death in a vehicle amid an ongoing state of emergency, police said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ecuadors-...180841781.html

Old 03-27-2024, 01:59 PM

73 posts, read 54,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
The region had many recent years of growing its middle class and that doesn’t happen with instability.
I’m having a hard time picturing where exactly you claim that the middle class has grown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas