Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 07:00 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

I know of a lot of young Americans who travel. Going to a place so far away such as New Zealand is very expensive so why bother if you can go to Mexico and Central America for much cheaper. And that is based on where I live in the Mid-Atlantic. a large part of our population lives a short and cheap distance away from those country's. I haven't been traveling in over 2 years but up to that time did extensive traveling to Latin American country's such as Costa Rica. I'm sure it's more now but a plane ticket to CR from S. Florida used to cost $200/250. I have even paid less. In that time it was about 400/450 from MD. I also remember cheap flights from Baltimore to Cancun. Again, if you just want to experience someplace exotic it can be done cheaply to some neighboring country's without a super long and expensive plane ride.
Of course there is the vastness of our own country where one can travel extensively and not leave there country as well. Overall, it's a myth that Americans don't travel or have passports. Many do and enjoy traveling out of this country as well as within.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 07:39 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With a brother who runs a backpackers in the North of New Zealand one thing that stands out is the lack of young Americans traveling.
With fifty million Americans with passports one would expect more of them.

<snip>

So if the USA is a rich country why don't your young travel, fear of the unknown?
Currently $$ is the number one reason and as others here have pointed out they are indeed either still attending University and/or paying off student loan debt. Also, as Gentoo has said, the USA is indeed a rich country but our young people are not so well to do, especially in our current economy. From my experience with my own children, they did not fear anything and they travelled to Europe together at the ages of 13 and 17 and excited about it, not fearful or apprehensive in anyway.

[quote=marlinfshr;30905125] I know of a lot of young Americans who travel. Going to a place so far away such as New Zealand is very expensive so why bother if you can go to Mexico and Central America for much cheaper. <snip> Again, if you just want to experience someplace exotic it can be done cheaply to some neighboring country's without a super long and expensive plane ride.
Of course there is the vastness of our own country where one can travel extensively and not leave there country as well. Overall, it's a myth that Americans don't travel or have passports. Many do and enjoy traveling out of this country as well as within. [/quote]

and then there is this ^ to consider as well.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Old 08-10-2013, 08:23 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,215,396 times
Its too expensive, why go to a beach in Australia when you can go to a beach in Florida or California(for example)?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
There is also the issue of terrorism that makes folks think twice about traveling overseas.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:55 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Interesting.

Americans are definitely traveling more than before. Now some are unable to travel, and others may not be interested. But it certainly cannot be said that young Americans do not travel, especially with the numbers that study abroad.

Also there is a significant number of Americans who are recent to this country and tend to travel to their parents' countries and the surrounding areas.

Guess my question for you OP is...where do you generally travel outside of New Zealand?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:13 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
With a brother who runs a backpackers in the North of New Zealand one thing that stands out is the lack of young Americans traveling.
With fifty million Americans with passports one would expect more of them.

We get lots of Canadians, Germans, Scandinavians,Israelis, and of course our dearly beloved brothers Australians who make their own rules up when we play them in sport.
In sheer numbers we get more Canadians than young Americans yet there is a lot more Americans

So if the USA is a rich country why don't your young travel, fear of the unknown ?
We have a lot of great things to see in our own country so why waste the money to go all the way to New Zealand?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:26 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
FEAR is the reason Americans of all ages do not travel overseas. Just look at how many threads in these forums are from travelers whose main concerns are safety and health and miscellaneous other fears, like getting onlline. In fact, it often seems that Fear is the only motivating factor that drives nearly all decisions by Americans.

Look at the US forum. People are afraid to drive their car on the interstate through three states, without a cell phone and a GPS, They won't stay in a hotel unless somebody they trust personally vouches for the safety and cleanliness of the hotel and the neighborhood the hotel is in.

Add to that that Americans have no familiarity with any foreign languages, and quite frankly, don't have any idea where any foreign countries are and wouldn't be able to point out more than two of three countries on a map of the world. And are so poor at simple arithmetic in their heads that it would take them years to figure out how much something costs in another country.

So, the reasons are:
1. Fear of crime
2. Fear of personal attack
3. Fear of illness
4. Fear of strange food
5. Fear of terrorists
6. Fear of foreign languages
7. Fear of foreign money
8. Fear of TSA inspectors
8. Fear of losing their cell phone
10. Fear of dirt
11. Fear of missing the 6 oclock news
12. Fear of missing the funeral if a family member dies at home
13. Fear of bedbugs
14. Fear of water tast9ng funny
15. Fear that there is no non-dairy creamer
16, Fear that they have forgotten something
17. Fear of tsunami
18. Fear of sharks
19. Fear of spiders
20. Fear they can't Tweet

Should I go on?

Fear of embarrassment
Fear of getting lost
5, Fear of foreign people

Old 08-10-2013, 11:40 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,173,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
FEAR is the reason Americans of all ages do not travel overseas. Just look at how many threads in these forums are from travelers whose main concerns are safety and health and miscellaneous other fears, like getting onlline. In fact, it often seems that Fear is the only motivating factor that drives nearly all decisions by Americans.

Look at the US forum. People are afraid to drive their car on the interstate through three states, without a cell phone and a GPS, They won't stay in a hotel unless somebody they trust personally vouches for the safety and cleanliness of the hotel and the neighborhood the hotel is in.

Add to that that Americans have no familiarity with any foreign languages, and quite frankly, don't have any idea where any foreign countries are and wouldn't be able to point out more than two of three countries on a map of the world. And are so poor at simple arithmetic in their heads that it would take them years to figure out how much something costs in another country.

So, the reasons are:
1. Fear of crime
2. Fear of personal attack
3. Fear of illness
4. Fear of strange food
5. Fear of terrorists
6. Fear of foreign languages
7. Fear of foreign money
8. Fear of TSA inspectors
8. Fear of losing their cell phone
10. Fear of dirt
11. Fear of missing the 6 oclock news
12. Fear of missing the funeral if a family member dies at home
13. Fear of bedbugs
14. Fear of water tast9ng funny
15. Fear that there is no non-dairy creamer
16, Fear that they have forgotten something
17. Fear of tsunami
18. Fear of sharks
19. Fear of spiders
20. Fear they can't Tweet

Should I go on?

Fear of embarrassment
Fear of getting lost
5, Fear of foreign people
That sounds like generational Americans more than anything. Around 1 in 5 Americans is born abroad or the first generation born in the U.S. Plenty, if not the majority, travel...

...perhaps not to New Zealand, but we travel.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:13 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,884,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inok View Post
I spent 90 dollars to obtain a passport what hundreds dollrs you are talking about
New passport is $135 and most people end up paying $60 for expedited service since few people buy one before they need it.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:43 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,387,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
FEAR In fact, it often seems that Fear is the only motivating factor that drives nearly all decisions by Americans.
That right there pretty much sums it all up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas