Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 05:17 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,872 times

Advertisements

Upon my many travels to Latin America I have come across a lot of different accents. Each country has a different accent from the other and each one is really unique.

I have to say though that my favorite for some reason is the Chilean accent. I don't know what it is about it but it just has a witty tone to it like everything they say is really funny almost sarcastic. If I had to describe it to English speakers it would be the equivalent to Cockney Rhyming Slang or Irish. Chile itself reminded me very much of Latino version of England in a sense too.
Second fav is the Argentine accent and then the Colombian accent which is very pure and smooth. Probably the smoothest and easiest to understand of the Latin world.

The ones I did not like were the Caribbean ones like Dominican or Cuban or Puerto Rican. Something about it was too fast, too wordy. Just too much.

Central Mexican Spanish like the kind spoken by Gael Garcia Bernal and Diego Luna is really good too. I like it when the Spanish has its own character and full of witty slang. It makes me work to understand the language.

Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:01 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,179,518 times
Colombian and Dominican...

Old 03-21-2013, 09:21 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,853,977 times
When I spent time in Venezuela I could not speak Spanish so I really can't say anything about that. I married a Colombiana so I may be a bit biased in understanding Colombian Spanish a lot easier. Seriously though, the Colombians speak the clearest of those I've been associated with, and they'll let you know as well that their Spanish is the most pure! LOL!
I've spent time in Panama as well as a lot of time in Costa Rica and I can get by fine in those country's. However, the Costa Ricans need to slow down. Waaaayyyy down! They talk fast. Everything is fine. I'll hop in a cab and talk in Spanish. Of course then its,
Taxi-"o u speeka Spanish"
Me--"see"
Taxi-"Ah blavblablablablablablablablabalblblablkablablablab lablablbblablablablablablablablablablablablablabla blabla"
Me- Slooooooooooooow Downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn" but in Spanish
Then they slow it down and its fine.
I couldn't understand much what little time I was in Guatemala and Mexico seems to have a lot different slang. I have trouble conversing to Mexicans beyond the basics.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:56 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,682,796 times
I can't differentiate them. How can I when I don't understand the language? Lol. However, I heard the Colombian accent is Latin America's favorite. According to Spanish speakers, Colombian Spanish is regarded as the "Queen's" Spanish.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
I can't differentiate them. How can I when I don't understand the language? Lol. However, I heard the Colombian accent is Latin America's favorite. According to Spanish speakers, Colombian Spanish is regarded as the "Queen's" Spanish.
It's not regarded as the favorite but the standard. The favorite is usually Argentinan or Chilean.

Old 03-22-2013, 09:35 PM

10,109 posts, read 14,980,095 times
You consider that the Chileans actually speak Spanish? LOL They might as well call it, well, Chilean.

I really like the Peruvian accent, especially that of the upper income people in Lima. Colombians also speak very nicely; and lets not forget Mexico, especially the DF accent.

Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM

The Chilean accent sounds very witty playful and almost like they're singing. Chileans are jokers and when they tell a joke it's almost funnier because if the way they say it. It's hard to explain if you're not a regular speaker of Spanish.

Peruvian and Columbian accents are the smoothest of the Latin American accents. DF Mexican is also really great. I love the Spanish in movies like Y Tu Mama Tambien and Amorres Perros.

Old 03-23-2013, 10:12 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,680,113 times
Chilean and Argentinian.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:28 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,385,239 times
Andalusian.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:14 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,296,596 times
I'm biased toward Venezuela.
I read that recently a survey was done in Spain to see what Spanish (Spain) accent people liked the most and the winner was: Canarian accent.

Guess what... Venezuela is known as the 8th Canary Island because of the huge Canary community in Venezuela and our accents are almost identical.

Canarios en la octava Isla - La Provincia - Diario de Las Palmas
Quote:
En Venezuela se concentra el mayor porcentaje de los emigrantes canarios del mundo, de acuerdo con cifras oficiales de organismos que representan en el país al Gobierno de Canarias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas