Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 21,118 times

Advertisements

In Cuba and Puerto Rico,the pyramid of race at least since the beginning of the last century,has been,White,Mulatto,Black.
In Dominican Republic it has been Mulatto,Black,White.

The difference between them was the large White immigration in the 19th and 20th centuries.The Dominican Republic only had a small White immigration in those years.The big cities are always more heavy with the poorer classes,as they hope to escape poverty by being where the money is.Most of the Revolutionary leadership was White.There was no desire to eliminate the white population in Cuba.Most of the middle and upper classes in Cuba are/were White,and they were the ones that immigrated from Cuba the most, at first.I don't see why if people read history that is so difficult to understand.I see here that some people want to make the Antillean islands either,on the one hand,mostly mixed or black,and others want to make them mostly white.The only reason I can figure for both these views is racism.But the islands are what they are,some of the most beautiful spots on earth,whatever the color of their inhabitants.

Last edited by Uncle Robert; 01-26-2012 at 12:59 PM..

Old 01-26-2012, 12:57 PM

Hi Lucario,
I saw this I thought you might be interested in.
Wikipedia on Baracoa:

"The original inhabitants of the island were Taíno. They were eradicated by the Spanish all over Cuba except here and this is the only place where descendants still live."

I remember reading in a few books,that anthropologists believe some of the country people in the area have Taino blood.And that some people in the area thought to be Mulatto were really part Taino instead.I doubt there are many or any full blood Taino left in Cuba or the other Islands today.

Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 PM

Actually quite a few people in the Peruvian and Mexican coastal areas have African blood.In Mexico, most notably Guerrero State.But over the centuries intermarriage has lessened the appearance of most of those people.As to Brazil,yes, Brazil probably has more African blood than anywhere out of Africa.Until the 19th and 20th centuries Brazil had a smaller White population and unlike most other large areas of Latin America smaller Indian populations.Slavery wasn't abolished until 1888,and even in the 19th large numbers of Africans were brought as slaves to Brazil.Whereas in the rest of South America slavery had been abolished in the early part of the century.

Old 01-27-2012, 06:18 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Saying that Cuba is "a white country" or "a black country" is stupid. It's both and neither.

As for blacks being lumpen, I don't think that merits further comment...

Old 01-27-2012, 07:06 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
That's interesting, but Manolón, in the name of all things good, will you please stop opening new accounts like a maniac?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:14 AM

195 posts, read 441,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Of course. Native Americans and indigenous Mexicans look like Brazilians. Peruvians look like Brazilians. Some Polynesian people look like Brazilians too.
Nope...I don't think so...Brazilian indians don't look like those from Central America. If one compares pictures from Brazilian native population to those from Mexico will see important physical differences...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post
LOL!!!

Yes, Brazilian people are very "confusing" to foreigners!!

It's impossible to establish a stereotypical phenotype of "the Brazilian".

There is not a single "predominant phenotype".

Brazilians come in all colors and shapes!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
It is not confusing. They are diverse. There is no Brazilian race. They are similar to Americans in that they have a diverse population.

Countries like Japan, China, Sweden, Norway, Rwanda, etc might pull up a certain race to mind, but countries like the US and Brazil are a full spectrum of races.
Agreed. Like I said in another thread, Brazil has no specific face. Brazil is white, black, indian and mixed

Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,644,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robert View Post
Hi Lucario,
I saw this I thought you might be interested in.
Wikipedia on Baracoa:

"The original inhabitants of the island were Taíno. They were eradicated by the Spanish all over Cuba except here and this is the only place where descendants still live."

I remember reading in a few books,that anthropologists believe some of the country people in the area have Taino blood.And that some people in the area thought to be Mulatto were really part Taino instead.I doubt there are many or any full blood Taino left in Cuba or the other Islands today.
A good friend of mine is from the far east, and he actually identifies himself as Taino (though he acknowledges the African/Haitian and Spanish/French in him as well).

Old 02-17-2012, 08:40 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I know quite a bit about Brazil. I don't want to brag but I have studied Brazil for many years reading about the history of the country, the politics, the economy, documentaries, films, music, etc. The only thing I haven't done is visit. Which I plan to but not anytime soon. Perhaps in a few years. To me, most Brazilians fall in line with what they consider themselves. And most Brazilians - at least the ones I know - categorize themselves in 3 races. White, Black, & Mulatto. So I go off that as well. Because I'm not going to call someone something they don't want to be called.
You'd be surprised. Perhaps I'm only speaking from one point of view since I've spent most of my time in Brasil in its largest city, but it's incredibly diverse. São Paulo is as diverse as (if not more than) most American cities to be honest. The two most major differences are the foreign-born population and the number of languages spoken. Though the number of colors, races, etc. are numerous here, I don't believe there is a huge foreign-born population (though since São Paulo is the economic engine of Brasil, this number rises as Brasil's power rises). Also, the language here is extremely assimilated. Whereas in the US, Asians have been very resistant to learning English, the Asians here all speak Portuguese with almost no exception.

However this doesn't mean Brasil (at least its cities) isn't extremely diverse. It is. The races are far more mixed together than the United States, but if you're walking down the street, you're going to see people of all different colors, race, etc. Honestly, it's sort of like when we learned in school that the United States is the "melting pot"...it isn't. The US is like a salad. Tons of different cultures but in most cases they're starkly different from one another. Brasil is far more "melting pot" than the US is due to its strong blend of races.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:46 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
Tiger

Miami is the only city of the US with a predominance of white Latins. Until 1990-95 or so, the predominance was total, but since then the city has received many non-white Hispanics from Latin America..mainly from Central America and also from Cuba.

Blacks and mulattoes are also fleeing from Cuba during the last 15 years or so.
It seems like more African Cubans would take the u.s. up on it's pro-Cuban immigrant policies.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:25 AM

1 posts, read 3,565 times
In Cuba and Puerto Rico,the pyramid of race at least since the beginning of the last century,has been,White,Mulatto,Black.
In Dominican Republic it has been Mulatto,Black,White.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Dominican Republic it has been Mulatto/Mestizo,White,black.

Cuba has more white and black than DR.

DR has more Mulatos/Mestizos than Cuba.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas