Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 04:22 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I think a good deal of it has to do with the lack of opportunities available on the island due to entrenched political corruption which leads the way to a lot of dealings as a middleman for the drug trade (as one of the few profitable games in town) which then results in all this violence. I do love the Caribbean--some beautiful architecture in lots of places, friendly people, beautiful settings, strange patchwork of peoples and history, really great music, and some really interesting food.
I disagree.

I find the vast majority of the Caribbean overrated and to not really have those positive things that you described.

Hawaii, Thailand, Taiwan, Southern China(such as where Hong Kong is), Singapore, Vietnam, and Costa Rica are tropical getaways I like much more and have much more of the positive stuff that you mentioned than the Caribbean.

However, I will say the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico around Cancun, and Saint Lucia are the exceptions for me. I like them but I almost find these places overrated too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 10:02 AM

37,127 posts, read 39,357,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I disagree.

I find the vast majority of the Caribbean overrated and to not really have those positive things that you described.

Hawaii, Thailand, Taiwan, Southern China(such as where Hong Kong is), Singapore, Vietnam, and Costa Rica are tropical getaways I like much more and have much more of the positive stuff that you mentioned than the Caribbean.

However, I will say the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico around Cancun, and Saint Lucia are the exceptions for me. I like them but I almost find these places overrated too.
Sorry, I'm from Taiwan and I've been to most of what you've mentioned.

Cancun is kind of nice, but very touristy. I think the difference might be that I have friends from the Caribbean or currently living in the Caribbean to show me around.

You realize the Caribbean is fairly large and diverse, right? I know I'm overreaching when I talk about the Caribbean, but I'm sure you understand that you're doing the same as well.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:28 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
Jamaica is one of the most dangerous.

I've heard people say Puerto Rico has a high crime rate but I've also heard that compared to the rest of the Caribbean, theirs is quite low.

Old 06-03-2011, 06:21 PM

950 posts, read 1,514,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
Jamaica is one of the most dangerous.

I've heard people say Puerto Rico has a high crime rate but I've also heard that compared to the rest of the Caribbean, theirs is quite low.
Puerto Rico's per capita murder rate is 22 per 100,000. If that is considered low by Caribbean standards, than the Carribean is a very dangerous place to live.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:32 PM

85 posts, read 214,590 times
Mainland central america not the caribbean area, and it's because of the Mara salvatruchas.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:44 AM

2,656 posts, read 511,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I disagree.

------------------------------

What may I ask do you find "overrated" about the Caribbean as opposed to those other tropical places? Just asking...

Old 06-04-2011, 11:34 AM

614 posts, read 3,211,010 times
The Caribbean is beautiful, i.e. the scenery and the beaches.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 4 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,915,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caribman1787 View Post
What may I ask do you find "overrated" about the Caribbean as opposed to those other tropical places? Just asking...
Well. I already mentioned that a few posts before.

Hawaii, Thailand, Taiwan, Southern China(such as where Hong Kong is), Singapore, Vietnam, and Costa Rica pretty much all have some of the lowest crime rates in the world, are more interesting and exciting to visit, have much better food than what can be found in the Caribbean, and some have actual great big cities in the tropical zones which are some of the safest lowest crime big cities in the world.

So yes, I just find most of the Caribbean overrated and would rather visit those places I mentioned instead of anywhere in the Caribbean.

The only exceptions in the Caribbean is the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico, and Saint Lucia which are nice places to visit.

But, Jamaica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, Bahamas, Aruba, Antigua, Barbados, Haiti, Virgin Islands etc. I just don't have any interest in visiting, they seem overrated, and I rather visit those other tropical places I mentioned.

One of the aspects overrated about the Caribbean is the perceived safety and crime rate. A lot of people think it is crime free, socially pure, and so pristine but it isn't in some ways.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:25 PM

202 posts, read 686,138 times
Central America is far more dangerous. El Salvador as a country has a murder rate of 71 per 100,000. The highest in the world. I'm not saying The Caribbean isn't bad, it most certainly is, but there are worse places.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:12 PM

195 posts, read 250,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatitdo? View Post
Central America is far more dangerous. El Salvador as a country has a murder rate of 71 per 100,000. The highest in the world. I'm not saying The Caribbean isn't bad, it most certainly is, but there are worse places.
Damn, El Salvador's per capita murder rate is a whopping 13 times higher than that of the U.S.

I wonder if the presence of MS-13 has anything to do with El Salvador's very high murder rate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas