Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2009, 09:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,041 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'll try to be as brief and descriptive as possible.

I hate taking prescription medications, however after having a sinus infection that wouldn't respond to home remedies (nasal cleanses, olive leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract tablets, steam humidifiers, warm rice sock...etc) I broke down and went to the doctor about a month ago. I've tried three different antibiotics and nothing has helped. This week I went to an ENT and she prescribed Prednisone and another antibiotic. I continued taking the olive leaf extract and grapefruit seed extract because I was concerned about the Prednisone decreasing my immunity with colds/flu's going around.

Within 3 hours of taking the Prednisone my throat started getting tight/sore. I didn't really think much of it for some reason. The tightness/soreness would slowly fade a few hours after the dose of Prednisone, but would come back shortly after the next dose. By last night it wasn't just my throat that was feeling tight/sore, my chest was also feeling a little tight and it was a little painful to take a deep breath. This morning I took another dose (I know! Not very bright, but after being in pain from the sinus infection for this long and having my senses of taste and smell gone/distorted I'm pretty desperate for relief!!) and within 30 minutes my chest was hurting again and I was getting a little dizzy/light headed. I called the doctor's office and they said it sounded like I was having an allergic reaction to it (which I figured) and to stop taking the Prednisone and the antibiotic immediately. I really think the reaction is more to the Prednisone than the antibiotic because I'm also urinating a lot more and a lot more frequently without drinking more fluids.

Anyway. After doing a little reading this morning it kind of sounds like taking herbs that stimulate your immune system could cause you to have allergic reactions to medications that you're not actually allergic to. Basically you're stimulating your immune system to fight stuff off and adding something new to your system, so your hyperstimulated immune system will start fighting everything new.

Has anyone read more about this or heard of this? I may be desperate to find something other than a true drug allergy to blame this reaction on, but I REALLY don't want to be allergic to either of these medicines.

Any thoughts? Any help or input will be greatly appreciated!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:52 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
It can be a side effect of the med alone but you should never mix herbal and scripts. Its all drugs. Its best just to take extra care to wash you hands, not touch your face and wear a mask if you really wish to. Eat well of course too! Immune boosters can trigger allergies.

Hope you feel better. Maybe have them check to see if its fungal too. I remember that happening to someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies