Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 AM

5 posts, read 25,946 times

Advertisements

I, too, am allergic to artificial sweeteners. I first noticed this approximately 45 years ago when I drank a diet soda. Immediate diarrhea and hives. I thought at that time that it was an insect bite.
The problem has continued through the years.
I'm embarrased by it because I have to go to the bathroom almost immediately after consuming the (poison).
Primarily I believe that the problem is a metabolism problem. Our bodies just cannot metabololize whatever it is that is in the artificial sweetener.
Do you know what particular sweetener you are allergic to? Or does it happen regardless of the sweetener?
I've tried to isolate my allergy but how can you do that without becoming ill?
I'm a 72 year old male and I sure hope someone finds a solution to this problem. I forget to ask people if they use a/s in their preparation of sweet things when we are invited to dinner.
Church socials (potlucks) are a big problem because I love to eat and usually want to try a little of all the pies, cakes, etc.
I would like for the Center for Disease Control, or the National Health Association (if there is such a critter) to make more people aware of this problem. I would also like the Chemical companies to stand up and admit that some of their concoctions are poison to some people.
Thanks for posting, I thought I was the only weird duck in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM

1 posts, read 8,954 times
I have been having panic attacks and headaches for years and not until recently have i noticed that they usually happen right after putting sugarless gum in my mouth. Immediatly I begin to get nervous, the headaches start, and my stomach gets upset. Glad that I finally took the time to look it up. Maybe I can now save a few trips to the doc.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:57 PM

5 posts, read 44,597 times
Unhappy I too suffer from an allergy to all artificial sweetners

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
I was just wondering how unusual this allergy is. I went through an extensive series of tests to determine what I was allergic to when I started developing hives and large areas of swelling. The tests showed environmental allergies but no food allergies. I cleaned my living quarters with bleach. I covered my bed and pillows with plastic covers. I still had allergic reactions. They gradually became so bad that I was in the ER every weekend. Since some of the swellings were on my eyes and mouth, I would joke that soon people would think that I was just using allergies as a way to cover up my boyfriend beating me up.. Eventually after I went to a whole team of doctors (who ran all the tests again plus more with the same results) I was told that I was beyond medical knowledge and that there was no way of treating me. I then went to a dermatologist. She put me on a very strict diet and after two weeks I was to add back one thing at a time that I normally consumed. The first thing that I added back was diet sodas. I soon after started to break out in hives. I told the doctor this and she agreed that I was allergic to artificial sweeteners. I started reading labels and found that even if it does not state that it is "diet" or reduced sugar it can still contain artificial sweeteners. Even Chapstick contains artifical sweeteners. I have already lost two jobs because of this allergy. I even got into an argument with a girl at a restaurant because she put light mayonnaise on my sandwich. Sorry to ramble on but this has been so frustrating. Does anyone else have this problem or any other unusual allergy? People with the most common allergies have support groups so maybe we can form one? Anyone else want to get their frustrations off their chests?
I would love to form a support group for this

Old 07-24-2009, 12:10 AM

Exclamation I am 32 and learned at 12 that I was allergic to ALL not just some artificial sweetners

My complaint is that I was told that I could slowly build a tolerance to artificial sweeteners, but I don't know that it is true. Does anyone else know this to be fact or fiction? I try and around my third cup of ice tea with sweet-n-low my fingers start to swell. I don't really know how common this allergy is but as a server myself afflicted and having other customers with the same allergy is very rare, however there are some very uncommon allergies out there and we should have an uncommon allergy support group, just tell me when and where and I will join or lead the way

Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I think everyone is allergic to ARTIFICIAL sweetners but not everyone outwardly shows the symptoms. They were not researched extensively for human consumption. The studies that were done showed they are very dangerous.
I think whether allergic or not that yes artificial sweeteners are bad for you I think we all remember the saccharin and the rats

Old 07-24-2009, 12:16 AM

Could you possibly tell me where exactly these studies can be found? I woud love to review them

Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
One reason to support Whole Foods Market is that they have banned sucralose/Splenda from their stores. I am so grateful for that because grocery shopping in most regular chain stores takes forever for me because I have to scrutinize every label for the sucralose that seems to be making its way into everything.

I went to a child's birthday party this past weekend and I was horrified to see that the hosts were serving diet drinks to the children. The diet drinks were full of sucralose/Splenda. That's not something fit to serve to children with developing brains!
I live in a smaller town in Michigan, where can I find this Whole Foods Markets?

Old 07-24-2009, 12:23 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,856,133 times
The stuff is poison so you are better off having the allergy. I did a great deal of it at one point and developed brain lesions... Im not a fan. Now there are so many health threats nutrasweet causes. just say no. The sugar is better for you than that crap. If you really want a healthy sweetner try agave. You can get it in the health food stores and it nice, far better than white sugar too.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,775 times
I have discovered that the people I know that also have the allergy have similar medical histories. I was lactose in-tolerant as a kid (also a sugar), and have dealt with hypoglycemia my whole life(basically the opposite of diabetes). Also, diabetes runs in our families. But I have discovered some really great tips:1- TOOTHPASTE. It made me have the headaches and a tight jaw. My dentist told me about xylitol (a sugar alcohol) and I use toothpaste and all the mouth-hygine things with it. And he no longer uses and flavored paste at the office. 2- Don't use Theraflu (aspertame), I started drinking hot herbal tea with lemon and honey when I am sick. It takes more effort, but I don't feel WORSE after drinking it. 3- I always have a bottle of water with me. Parties, office functions, pot-lucks... you never know if they'll have something you can drink. Especially since I work at a health-conscious office, they only ever have crystal light. 4- Old fashioned gums and mints. They are still made with real sugar. Clove Gum is my favorite, and I LOVE altoids. 5- Read labels carefully. I've noticed that alot of drinks on the market, especially energy drinks have sugar listed as the first ingredient, and aspertame or sucralose as the last. Tricky. 6- Anything carb-free, lower carb, sugar-free, 0 calorie, lite, light and all the like are suspect to have artificial sweeteners. 7- When in doubt, make your own. It's easy to control the sugar when you're putting it in yourself you know. And thanks for the tip about Whole foods, if it's true that they don't sell products with A/S then they have just got more of my business.

Old 10-20-2009, 11:50 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigorose View Post
I was just wondering how unusual this allergy is. I went through an extensive series of tests to determine what I was allergic to when I started developing hives and large areas of swelling. The tests showed environmental allergies but no food allergies. I cleaned my living quarters with bleach. I covered my bed and pillows with plastic covers. I still had allergic reactions. They gradually became so bad that I was in the ER every weekend. Since some of the swellings were on my eyes and mouth, I would joke that soon people would think that I was just using allergies as a way to cover up my boyfriend beating me up.. Eventually after I went to a whole team of doctors (who ran all the tests again plus more with the same results) I was told that I was beyond medical knowledge and that there was no way of treating me. I then went to a dermatologist. She put me on a very strict diet and after two weeks I was to add back one thing at a time that I normally consumed. The first thing that I added back was diet sodas. I soon after started to break out in hives. I told the doctor this and she agreed that I was allergic to artificial sweeteners. I started reading labels and found that even if it does not state that it is "diet" or reduced sugar it can still contain artificial sweeteners. Even Chapstick contains artifical sweeteners. I have already lost two jobs because of this allergy. I even got into an argument with a girl at a restaurant because she put light mayonnaise on my sandwich. Sorry to ramble on but this has been so frustrating. Does anyone else have this problem or any other unusual allergy? People with the most common allergies have support groups so maybe we can form one? Anyone else want to get their frustrations off their chests?

I'm sorry you had to go through this. What a frustrating experience. You may not want to hear this, but in a long run, this is a blessing in disguise. Artificial sweeteners are some of the worst things you can put in your body, and they are easy to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies