Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2021, 07:03 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I guess I haven't heard the latest news. Please update me, or let me know where I can go to find it.

I was not putting anyone down.
It is now known that the vaccines prevent infection, not just symptoms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 09:18 AM

249 posts, read 165,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My allergist said I should have the J&J vaccine because it's only one dose, so even if I had anaphylaxis from it, I would be protected from covid afterwards. (I have had a reaction like that to the flu shot, but I've been on xolair to reduce my reactions for a couple years.)

I got the vaccine yesterday, felt warm and nauseated right afterwards but nothing worse, came home and went to sleep about 6pm, got up today at 3pm. I've had some nausea and diarrhea, and one side of my face has rows of hives, but those are pretty minor reactions for me because of the MCAS.
Here I thought I am one of the most allergic person until I read your post. Glad your injection went ok with only minor allergic symptoms. I have no allergies to food except irritation in my throat to all tea now. Not surprised as I have allergies to various grass, pollens, etc.

Old 04-08-2021, 01:47 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasudesu View Post
Here I thought I am one of the most allergic person until I read your post. Glad your injection went ok with only minor allergic symptoms. I have no allergies to food except irritation in my throat to all tea now. Not surprised as I have allergies to various grass, pollens, etc.
Tea can also be a mold issue.

My kid is allergic to tap water We just got her started on xolair since it's been helpful for me.

Old 04-08-2021, 05:53 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Hedgehog_Mom, are you feeling more normal today? That was a bad enough reaction but could have been so much worse, as we know from experience.

I'm still in a holding pattern. My immunologist is hoping that there will soon be an allergy test for the Pfizer/Moderna vaccinations for those of us hyperallergic types. She said they can test for the PEG and the polysorbates but not for all the other ingredients. I hope so. The sooner the better.

There are still the Novavax and Sanofi vaccinations which aren't through the clinical trial/approval process yet. Maybe I'll get lucky and one of them will be safe for me. Meanwhile, I'm keeping on keeping on and hoping that herd immunity will keep me out of trouble, whenever we get to that stage.

Old 04-09-2021, 08:05 AM

75 posts, read 78,907 times
I have a severe shellfish allergy (carry epipen) and have received the first dose of vaccine. When I went I was given Moderna. I did notice what I thought were hives on my neck which quickly resolved with Benedryl. For the second dose, the pharmacist really reviewed health history and said he was not comfortable giving me the second dose of Moderna. He said if I decide to try a second dose it should be done in a hospital setting. After many attempts I've been unsuccessful scheduling.

He did explain I am 80% covered, so for now I will accept that and continue to do what I have been doing with masks and hand washing,

Old 04-09-2021, 01:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,855,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I guess I haven't heard the latest news. Please update me, or let me know where I can go to find it.

I was not putting anyone down.
90% of people vaccinated with Pfizer or Moderna are indeed immune from the virus. The other 10% are the ones you described: with less severe infections than they otherwise would get.

Old 04-12-2021, 11:31 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
Hedgehog_Mom, are you feeling more normal today? That was a bad enough reaction but could have been so much worse, as we know from experience.

I'm still in a holding pattern. My immunologist is hoping that there will soon be an allergy test for the Pfizer/Moderna vaccinations for those of us hyperallergic types. She said they can test for the PEG and the polysorbates but not for all the other ingredients. I hope so. The sooner the better.

There are still the Novavax and Sanofi vaccinations which aren't through the clinical trial/approval process yet. Maybe I'll get lucky and one of them will be safe for me. Meanwhile, I'm keeping on keeping on and hoping that herd immunity will keep me out of trouble, whenever we get to that stage.
I'm actually feeling worse, lots of GI symptoms. They're symptoms I had dealt with before starting treatment for MCAS, but I thought I had my triggers and foods figured out well enough that I didn't need to worry about symptoms like these. I'm not even sure how to treat it because I'm already on all the meds that fixed it before.

Old 04-13-2021, 12:38 AM

12,036 posts, read 6,567,177 times
The Pfizer vaccine triggered bad arrhythmia for weeks, but not sure that is an allergic reaction, or just a
“reaction.” Never reacted to any other vaccine before.
Cardiologist said he is seeing that happen often now.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:51 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,427,891 times
Heard on the news that J&J and Moderna have had more adverse reactions. My folks took Pfizer, they seem well, so I'm going with that one.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:58 AM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I'm actually feeling worse, lots of GI symptoms. They're symptoms I had dealt with before starting treatment for MCAS, but I thought I had my triggers and foods figured out well enough that I didn't need to worry about symptoms like these. I'm not even sure how to treat it because I'm already on all the meds that fixed it before.
Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. I've been plagued with GI symptoms since November 2019 when I may have had Covid or a version of it. This was prior to tests being available for Covid and it was still thought that Covid only caused respiratory symptoms. I was tested for everything else under the sun and nothing showed up.

To this day, my doctors suspect that, whatever it was, I caught it from a member of my walking group who'd returned from working in Shanghai just days before I got sick. Who knows what he'd been exposed to during that trek home to California? It was the early days of Covid then. They strongly believe it was some version of Covid-like virus but it was too late to test by the time tests became readily available.

I have IBS but this was unlike anything I've ever had before. I, too, have MCAS. I went back to the drawing board and started over again with the most bland and innocuous foods I could and not many of them. Everything that went in my mouth made an almost immediate exit. I dealt with the extreme GI problems for three weeks (typical of a virus with a 21 day time span) and then the symptoms lessened. I lost weight - which I didn't need to do at all - and of which I've only been able to gain back two pounds. No matter how much I eat, I still stay within a pound range of my new set-point. It now seems that the more I eat, the faster I process it. But at least it's not as extreme as it was.

I wish I had some magic trick but you know what a mystery we deal with. The bland, white diet helped but so did the passage of time. What does your doctor say? I know we're on our own with so much of this. Have you posted over on the MCAS boards? I wonder if anyone else over there has experienced something similar. Later on today when I have time I'll take a look.

Sending you best wishes for a quick return to normal, whatever that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies