Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 03:52 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
So let's say I suspect a food is causing me issues... how long would it take to see a difference if i eliminate that food? a week? 2 weeks? a month? or would i start feeling better immediately?
I can't quite remember what my allergist told me a long time ago, maybe a week? Maybe two weeks? But after you haven't had it for a while and you eat it again, BAM! You will know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 09:16 AM

10 posts, read 13,123 times
I have a reaction to red food dye even though every test says I am fine.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:28 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,239,488 times
It depends on the food, but I believe 2 weeks is the minimum before you can really see results.

Old 03-09-2020, 01:47 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikaMoon View Post
I know but I also noticed that the labs here in the States are kind of ****ty. I was on a trip recently through England and I got an allergic reaction over there. Since I had insurance I went tot he hospital and got it treated. I also asked the doctor who was my consulting physician id I could get tested for allergens again. He agreed and gave me an address to a private lab that I could use for my tests. (I used this lab here: intolerancelab.co.uk). So one vial of blood and a week later I had a whole list of things I was allergic to and red dye was actually in the list. I was surprised that the American tests did not pick it up where as the British ones picked it up. It was very strange I have to say. And honestly it was cheap. They can test you for close to 300 allergens for around $70
Do you know if it was the same red dye? Don't forget that your sensitivity to allergens can change over time especially after additional exposures. The results of your earlier US test might have failed to pick up a very slight sensitivity at that point in time. Time passed, your sensitivity just happened to become more pronounced with the new exposure, and the UK test picked it up. Might not have anything to do with the test itself. You'd have to compare the test parameters/protocol to know.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:32 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
That's funny, Western doctors - literally true - you can have an MD say your Heart and circulation are fine
on a Friday night and Sat morning die of a massive heart attack.
RIP - Mrs. Espy.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:15 AM

8 posts, read 6,967 times
Fresh fruits and vegetables were on my allergy list along with ragweed in the fall.Every fall in my younger years was miserable.Itchy/watery eyes and my eyelids would be glued shut every morning. I had to keep a wet rag on the headboard to soak my eyes to be able to open them.Sneazing,runny nose wasn't no thrill either.3 months of pills.1 brand would work for a month and I'd build up a resistance to it and switch to another brand for a month,then another brand and pray for a good frost.
In my late 40's,no more allergy to ragweed. I also have a cousin 4 yrs older with exact same allergy and his quit too just before mine did.Very odd but no complaints from me.

My food allergy was with fresh food. If it was canned,dried, or frozen,I could eat all that I wanted. Fresh,just a couple grapes and I would get itchy scratching throat.Not life threatening.Seamed like juicier the worse but bananas were a real killer on my throat.I could eat a pared apple/pear with near zero scratchiness. If we went out to eat and I tried the coleslaw,I could tell you if it was fresh or has been frozen.A couple years ago,that allergy went away.Now I can eat a handful of grapes,couple slices of watermellon,strawberries,peaches,etc.

Since those allergies subsided,now I'm getting one in the spring.Not sure if it's mold or pollen.Seems to subside by cottonwood season.Itchy ears and itchy eyes.Nothing remotely as miserable as in the past,but seems to be getting worse every spring.Cheap walmart eyedrops work a heck of a lot better than the more expensive allergy eyedrops.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:59 PM

5 posts, read 2,059 times
I think it's possible because the shape of the protein can be affected by whether it's heated or not. It depends whether the allergen is tested and consumed in the same state - e.g. cooked, or uncooked.

I think the same about whether someone has an intolerance or an allergy. An allergy is a multi-system reaction whereas an intolerance is the body's inability to process it. Intolerances can be associated with digestive diseases as substances can't be removed and irritate intestinal linings, where bad bacteria grows. But, in my unqualified opinion these can imitate allergic reactions as the body struggles to process these. For example, bacterial overgrowths are thought to be related to many skin diseases such as serborrheic dermatitis, which can cause dry and irritate skin, hence itching. Likewise, itchy eyes too, as s.dermatitis is commonly found with blepharitis (inflamed eyelids) which can then irritate the eye itself. Both of these can also be caused by allergens.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:09 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
I think you can have an intolerance to certain foods that gives you problems.....even if you are not
technically allergic.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:50 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,508,104 times
There is a difference between a food allergy and a food sensitivity. People with inflammatory conditions, which I have, report certain foods make it worse. I can vouch for that. Since Jan. 1, I have been on a strict diet, Covid isolation has made it easier to do that. I tried eggs the other day, the reaction was horrible. Since they are not suppose to go into the compost pile, I dug a hole and buried the remainder; so far the critters haven't dug them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies