Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 03:27 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times

Advertisements

I have gone through so many air purifiers! It seems like after you change the filter for a few years - open and close it multiple times . . it just goes kerfluey.

I just took out the filter in my big bedroom one and rinsed it (reusable filter) - let it dry and when I put it back in - won't turn on.

So then I drug out a small, older one that I had upstairs and now it went dead. The old one had an ionizer and ionizers were said to possibly make things worse!

I googled air purifiers and got mixed reviews from allergists and people alike. They might work; they might not work; depends . . . I'm wondering if I should even replace mine at this point.

I would love to have the one recommended above but I am not paying $900 for a bedroom air purifier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 01:44 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,052,964 times
According to my allergy Doctor, a basic room air purifier, such as this Hunter brand https://www.filtersfast.com/P-Hunter...hoCF9wQAvD_BwE for less than $200 will do an adequate job. I put one in my bedroom. Based on the amount of dust and fibers it collects in between filter changes I have to believe my allergies would be worse if I were breathing in all that stuff that the filter removes from the air in the room.

I have also found that I can buy replacement filters from Amazon for my Hunter air purifier, for far less than the cost charged by that website.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:06 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,820 times
We have bad allergies.

IQair is the only one that worked for us. Not cheap and not cheap on the filters. But you get what you pay for. www.iqair.com

And they last a long time, we had two for 12 years each. Also have a long warranty.

Old 01-08-2018, 10:14 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
I have this purifier which seems great (the link directly below w/ a 12.5-min video description) & honestly, I don't notice a difference, but I'd have to see if I could tell the difference slightly if I haven't turned it on in like several days. I suppose it works because my breathing & how I feel day-to-day might be worse if I didn't have it. Then again, I don't leave mine on 24/7 & I don't leave mine on overnight. I need to move it from the living room to the bedroom every night while I sleep OR buy a 2nd one.

Ionic Pro Platinum Air Purifier w/Permanent Filter - Page 1

I seemed to have developed allergic asthma late in life about a yr ago & I'm 42 & NEVER, EVER had any asthma, allergies, etc. ever.

Many of you here have talked about the IQAir HealthPro purifiers. They look nice, I wish I could afford something like that! Someday I'll try to get one!

Anyone know anything about these Rabbit Air purifiers? They're just as pricey. Are they better than the IQAir? I saw Rabbit brand in an ad in Allergy Magazine.

https://www.rabbitair.com/products/m...iant=836307609

Last edited by Forever Blue; 01-08-2018 at 10:32 PM..

Old 01-13-2018, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Does anyone have experience with air purifiers to remove pollen, dust, and mold spores? I'm shopping online and have looked at a number of brands and read reviews. However, it's sometimes hard to gauge the veracity of these claims.
A couple of thoughts here. First, I think it's more important to start with your furnace filter rather than jumping to a room air cleaner. Nothing against room air purifiers (I've got one), but what's the use in cleaning a single room when your furnace is spewing allergens all over the house.

Second, never mind about the claims and look at the MERV ratings, which help you compare apples to apples. You mentioned wanting to remove "pollen, dust, and mold spores," but all of those could be blocked with a MERV13 furnace filter. HEPA air purifier filters are MERV17-MERV20. If they don't say the MERV rating, don't buy them.

Personally, I've got an Oransi-EJ120. Expensive, but worth it at MERV17.

https://www.amazon.com/Oransi-EJ120-...dp/B00V609RPW/

For furnace filters, I use Tru Filtered Air, which is a subscription service.

https://www.trufilteredair.com/furna...-sub/lnk/ORG50

Hope this helps.

Old 01-14-2018, 02:32 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Anyone know anything about these Rabbit Air purifiers? They're just as pricey. Are they better than the IQAir? I saw Rabbit brand in an ad in Allergy Magazine.

https://www.rabbitair.com/products/m...iant=836307609
I did some shopping before buying a Rabbit Air purifier a few years ago. Ironically, I first heard about them because I keep birds and heard from fellow bird keepers who used them in their aviary rooms. They gave them good reviews. Not as expensive as some others, but I don't know if the really expensive ones do a significantly better job. Use the Rabbit Air in my bedroom but keep the windows and door shut (so it actually has a chance to keep up with that limited airspace). It does seem to help, and the junk I clean out of the filters seems to support that.

Old 01-14-2018, 04:14 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergeez View Post
A couple of thoughts here. First, I think it's more important to start with your furnace filter rather than jumping to a room air cleaner. Nothing against room air purifiers (I've got one), but what's the use in cleaning a single room when your furnace is spewing allergens all over the house.
Yes, this makes good sense if you happen to have a forced air furnace or AC. One of several reasons to like hot water baseboard heat!

Old 01-18-2018, 09:39 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
I did some shopping before buying a Rabbit Air purifier a few years ago. Ironically, I first heard about them because I keep birds and heard from fellow bird keepers who used them in their aviary rooms. They gave them good reviews. Not as expensive as some others, but I don't know if the really expensive ones do a significantly better job. Use the Rabbit Air in my bedroom but keep the windows and door shut (so it actually has a chance to keep up with that limited airspace). It does seem to help, and the junk I clean out of the filters seems to support that.
Thanks for answering!

Old 02-05-2018, 10:07 PM

10 posts, read 8,650 times
They definitely help. My wife has terrible allergies during the pollinating season, and the air purifier helped to reduce the irritation. The only downside is that the coverage is within small area and she basically stayed at one room most of the time, and windows are usually closed during that period of time as well.

Old 06-17-2018, 05:46 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,047,770 times
I use a Trion Air Bear Merv 11 whole house filter and a Whirlpool AP450 HEPA filter in the bedroom. I think they do help. At least the furnace blower remains dust free, which was not the case when I had an electrostatic filter. The Trion is 20" x 25", which required modifying the furnace air intake. It is best to go as large as possible on the furnace filter due to the air flow restriction of a HEPA filter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Allergies