Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times

Advertisements

Arctic, you amaze me on a daily basis. I think Kgom will do fine here, in fact, I think he'll do better than you will if and when he moves here. He'll be working and going home to a nice warm house on the grid and you'll be out there at minus 20 freezing in your cabin. Come to Alaska Kgom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Arctic, you amaze me on a daily basis. I think Kgom will do fine here, in fact, I think he'll do better than you will if and when he moves here. He'll be working and going home to a nice warm house on the grid and you'll be out there at minus 20 freezing in your cabin. Come to Alaska Kgom!
Well said.

I actually know a lady who came here from London, a year ago. Now, it's also true that she had previously lived in Anchorage and a couple different places in the Lower-48 (Mohave desert for many years), so it isn't like she's anything but an adventurous sort quite like most folks from just about anywhere that come to Alaska and like it.

So this morning her fellow and I were talking to someone about some Brits that they were working with who are going to be visiting here. And we did warn them about some of the quaint language habits that these London ladies have... and he says, "Okay dear, you can say 'squirrel' now!" She says "Sq-wee-earl", and the guy we are talking to literally burst out giggling. At which point all of us started laughing at him. (I explained to him that the first time she'd used that word talking to us, the two of us had each wasted a whole cup of coffee sputtering, and gotten awful dirty rolling around on the floor for 4-5 minutes before we could breath right again.)

But I just don't know what would be wrong with a Limey explaining to us just how Gol Dern DUMB our gun laws are! Not to mention our ideas on public health and maybe something else. And we can teach them proper English and a few other things (Yup'ik Property Law would be a good start).

Old 08-02-2008, 07:51 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Gotta spread it around before.......

Old 02-28-2014, 02:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,386 times
Hi my name is Tammy Cousins, i live in the UK, but i don,t feel i will ever have a good life here. I'm a women that like's Fishing & the out doors i don,t like Hunting, but i love animals and would like to volunteer. I love Volunteer work & see it all the time but the UK ask for to much financially. My Dream place is Alaska.

Old 02-28-2014, 04:29 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Hi Tam!

Old 10-27-2014, 09:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,194 times
im just curious about immigration to alaska i love the country and would like to stake out a homestead but alas im from the uk 48 year old time served carpenter so not quite sure if i would be allowed to immigrate to the north west that really appeal's to me some where i can get away from all the rat race and live off the land oh by the way im not stupid about gun control there is a very good reason to have a gun when out in the wilds if i had to retrain to be viable then i would be looking at logging but at my age i cant see me getting on any courses
so my question is how does a single man with my skill set become viable to immigrate to alska

Old 10-27-2014, 11:38 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,817,459 times
Alaska, being one of the 50 states that make up the US, means you will have to start here:

Homepage | USCIS

Old 11-01-2014, 08:06 PM

44 posts, read 86,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
My question is, Was that salary range you indicated in Pounds Sterling, or Dollars?
In Pesos Compadre!!!.....

Old 01-02-2015, 08:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,115 times
I am a british citizen born in the heart of the uk I can tell from my beliefs and those of uk citizens that we are more self reliant than any nation gives us credit for, as a nation I would say 90% would have a small firearm here if the laws governing such ownership weren't so tight a rifle must be registered and locked in a tamper proof safe when not in use a hand gun can only be owned if you are a member of a gun club and it must be left at the club and never removed from the club the views regarding gun ownership in the uk are the views of our government and not of the people we can't even defend ourselves with out the possibility that the person we are defending against if caught will not press charges for assault and seek compensation from us and likely charged for excessive force by the police most brits just want to be left alone and have the right to defend ourselves if we need to without fear of reprisals

Old 01-02-2015, 09:15 AM

2,674 posts, read 2,624,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf346 View Post
the views regarding gun ownership in the uk are the views of our government and not of the people
IIRC the British government is elected by the British people
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska