Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2024, 10:41 PM

13,078 posts, read 7,519,082 times

Advertisements

We buy at Costco, Black Cod (aka SableFish). An oily fish, not as strong tasting as salmon. Fine texture. Cheap compared to Salmon wild or farmed. Easy to fillet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2024, 10:55 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
It's strange how the article is quoting gutter prices as the problem. Outside Alaska, "normal folks" can't afford Alaska seafood. It's the economy, and Alaska fishermen are the canaries in the coal mine.

Old 02-20-2024, 11:34 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
It's strange how the article is quoting gutter prices as the problem. Outside Alaska, "normal folks" can't afford Alaska seafood. It's the economy, and Alaska fishermen are the canaries in the coal mine.
The "gutter prices" are mostly occurring in the export/commodity market, where most of Alaska's seafood is sold. Then prices are the result of a glut of product in those particular markets, which Alaska is blaming on Russia, and Russia is blaming on Alaska, even though both countries are guilty of processing through the Chinese to keep costs down. It's not something you'd notice that much in a U.S. supermarket, and prices of troll-caught seafood that goes to better fish markets and restaurants has remained the same.

The USDA just (today, I believe) committed to another bailout, which includes 15 million pounds of pollock, so kids in public schools can expect a lot of fish sticks.

Old 02-21-2024, 12:01 AM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The USDA just (today, I believe) committed to another bailout, which includes 15 million pounds of pollock, so kids in public schools can expect a lot of fish sticks.
Repulsive. Harvesting a finite amount of living creatures into a monetized commodity, no matter how devastating or disruptive the result is to the ecosystem, because money's money.

Processed fish sticks are nasty. I hated them as a kid and as an adult, opted out of that market entirely by not offering them to my child. The workers toiling on these fishing boats are paid to engage in a labor of futility...I'd bet the bulk of this crap fish ends up in the trash, if the market is public schools or prisons.

Old 02-21-2024, 09:51 AM

10,567 posts, read 7,767,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The "gutter prices" are mostly occurring in the export/commodity market, where most of Alaska's seafood is sold. Then prices are the result of a glut of product in those particular markets, which Alaska is blaming on Russia, and Russia is blaming on Alaska, even though both countries are guilty of processing through the Chinese to keep costs down. It's not something you'd notice that much in a U.S. supermarket, and prices of troll-caught seafood that goes to better fish markets and restaurants has remained the same.

https://www.alaskaseafood.org/news/f...n-and-pollock/

JUNEAU, AK — February 20, 2024

"The Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute (ASMI) is pleased to share the U.S Department of Agriculture’s recently released bids for more than 1.4 million cases of canned Alaska pink salmon, three hundred thousand cases of canned Alaska sockeye salmon and 15 million pounds of Alaska pollock fish sticks and fillets. Each case of salmon consists of 24 cans, regardless of size. All of the pink salmon will be in “tall” cans that contain 14.75 oz. and the sockeye salmon will be split between the 14.75 oz. “talls” and the smaller 7.5 oz. “halves”. This is great news for the Alaska seafood industry and food insecure Americans around the country, who will benefit from these nutritious and desirable products through USDA’s food and nutrition programs this year..."

Old 02-21-2024, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
We buy at Costco, Black Cod (aka SableFish). An oily fish, not as strong tasting as salmon. Fine texture. Cheap compared to Salmon wild or farmed. Easy to fillet.
Cheap compared to salmon? That's a surprise. I'd better take a look at the local offerings.

Old 02-21-2024, 03:30 PM

4,416 posts, read 4,908,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Processed fish sticks are nasty. I hated them as a kid and as an adult, opted out of that market entirely by not offering them to my child. The workers toiling on these fishing boats are paid to engage in a labor of futility...I'd bet the bulk of this crap fish ends up in the trash, if the market is public schools or prisons.
I couldn't eat fish sticks in school. They made me gag. I hated lunch on Fridays. In our school we had to raise our hands to get "excused" from the table and they wouldn't excuse any kid unless they ate their fish sticks. I don't know why, this wasn't a "free lunch" program, we paid for the lunch so why make us choke it down? I stuffed the fish sticks into my empty milk carton to get excused, but then the lunchroom gestapos caught onto that trick and would actually check the milk cartons! Towards the end I would cram the fish sticks into my mouth like a chipmunk, get excused, and leave the lunchroom and spit them out as soon as I could. Other kids would stuff them into their pockets or do whatever they could to get out of eating them.

The school lunch program has changed considerably since then. It seems like most of it is done by outside vendors that are out of the USDA loop. They say that eating fish is healthy, but after them trying to force me to eat something that made me gag, decades later I won't go near it.

Old 02-21-2024, 07:58 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,016,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
https://www.alaskaseafood.org/news/f...n-and-pollock/

This is great news for the Alaska seafood industry and food insecure Americans around the country, who will benefit from these nutritious and desirable products through USDA’s food and nutrition programs this year..."
Typical PR nonsense. Canned salmon is desirable? Though I will admit I've never tried canned salmon, I also don't think I ever will. Fresh salmon is one of the tastiest and most nutritious fish and the canning process probably turns it into a tasteless, mushy commodity for prisons and hospitals. These cans will sit on food banks shelves for a couple years until they end up dumped in the trash.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Typical PR nonsense. Canned salmon is desirable? Though I will admit I've never tried canned salmon, I also don't think I ever will. Fresh salmon is one of the tastiest and most nutritious fish and the canning process probably turns it into a tasteless, mushy commodity for prisons and hospitals. These cans will sit on food banks shelves for a couple years until they end up dumped in the trash.
It seems you're not bashful about giving uninformed opinions. Canned salmon is a versatile product, with a market share that speaks for itself. Those cans will most definitely not end up in the trash.

Old 02-21-2024, 08:15 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times
My goodness, it's amazing that canned salmon has managed to survive 200 years as a consumer staple. I wonder how that happened

For those who are interested in this sort of thing, the first can of salmon was produced in Aberdeen in 1824.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 02-21-2024 at 08:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska