Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 10:29 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Much more common in the past than the present. Definitely not falling into “common” territory anymore IMO, thanks to more advanced navigational systems employed on the jets and less cold winter weather responsible for that fog. I’m a former Alaska airline employee, so have some knowledge on this matter.
I'm glad to hear that they've gotten a handle on the problem. My visit was in 2005, so I can well imagine that the technology has improved in the past 15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 11:10 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Lots of good info so far OP. I've lived in SE for many years...not in Juneau proper, but close enough and traveled there often enough to understand the climate and general region. Yes, its wet. It is warmer in the winter than Anchorage so if you like winter sports you may get frustrated and some cabin fever right when weather controls more of what you do. Because of the milder climate Juneau is temperate rainforest...so can feel closed in by trees. Anchorage has a more open feel due to topography and type of forest. Both cities are on the coast so the ocean does moderate the climate a lot. Anchorage can have warmer sunnier summers, even some hot weather...and more effects from wildfire smoke from the interior.

Another thing to consider: real estate. If you plan on buying your own home take a look at online realty websites for what type of properties may be available. I know its usually a good idea to rent for a while when coming to a totally new area, but the websites can give you an idea what things cost and how much you get for your money. Housing in Juneau is tight, so quite expensive. There will be more choices in Anchorage. Anchorage has more of a range of "good" and "bad" neighborhoods in terms of crime. Property tax rates may surprise you in both cities. Culturally, Juneau will be less diverse than Anchorage.

Last edited by Parnassia; 01-05-2021 at 11:42 AM..

Old 01-05-2021, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 3,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northrick View Post
CPS? Child Protective Services? If so, you might better off in Anchorage career-wise. Unfortunately we have plenty of problems and difficulty finding people willing to deal with them. Also, up here it is OCS, Office of Children's Services.
Yes, Child Protective Services. I was thinking about Anchorage being better given it's size.

Old 01-05-2021, 05:55 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,612,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty1224 View Post
I'm primarily focused on gaining career experience and settling down wherever I end up to be honest. Not sure on a personal level if I'm looking for anything specific. I was hoping for some pros and cons on both cities.
I grew up in Hoonah, which is near Juneau and now I live in the MatSu Valley, which is near Anchorage. Of the two, I'd choose Anchorage. I'm just not wanting to live as isolated as Juneau is. But don't get me wrong, Juneau is a beautiful spot...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska