Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2020, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,710 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a condo under 100k for the wife and I to travel to have for vacations. I have fell in love with the area and was wanting an honest opinion on where to look at and where to stay away from. i am sure like all cities there are areas that are lets say less desirable do to the type of people and crime in the area.

So where should I look? I wish I could just win the lotto and buy a million dollar home but this will have to do for a while.

We will be traveling from GA to Ketchikan and want something that I can feel safe in and safe leaving until I return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2020, 05:07 PM

1,810 posts, read 898,225 times
Well, the cheapest ones are in Marine View or Tongass Towers. I lived in Marine View for awhile and it’s pretty safe. The only thing is sometimes the smell in the hallways can get funky because of all the Filipino and Asian cooking that takes place from the residents in the building. Get on the ocean side for the views.

One example in Marine View Condos.

https://www.alpinerealestateak.com/d...hikan-AK-99901

Last edited by ketchikanite; 11-28-2020 at 05:34 PM..

Old 11-29-2020, 12:17 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
How often do you plan on traveling in AK? When you come up what do you plan on doing? Are you sure Ketchikan would be the best location to base out of? You are limited in how to travel in and out. It will require a ferry or air travel to get anywhere else. Personally I'd pick a place with more to do and more options for travel. There must be a break even point that considers how frequently you will actually need to use the place versus lodging at a B&B, outfitter, or hotel that offers traveler services and requires no upkeep. Be sure you find out what the other associated costs will be (what the monthly HOA fee includes and what it doesn't). I don't know anything about condos there but I would sure find out about the HOA/management companies and try to get resident reviews about them and how solvent they are.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:47 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
The OP didn't say anything about using the condo as a base from which to travel throughout Alaska. It would seem from his OP that he likes Ketchikan and wants to spend his vacation time there.

The condos in the Marine View seem okay.

Old 11-29-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
The OP didn't say anything about using the condo as a base from which to travel throughout Alaska. It would seem from his OP that he likes Ketchikan and wants to spend his vacation time there.

The condos in the Marine View seem okay.
I was on the 8th floor of the Marine View condos when the 7.0 earthquake hit in 2004. That building held up well. There are nicer condos in Ketchikan like Evergreen Terrace and the ones by the mall but they are a lot more expensive.

SitNews - Earthquakes Rattle Southeast

Old 12-02-2020, 08:00 AM

6,541 posts, read 7,124,380 times
I know nothing about the town, but this looks like your best bet currently. It’s been on the market for 168 days with no price drops, so you should be able to get it for less.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M95739-07216

Old 12-04-2020, 12:48 AM

4 posts, read 5,117 times
If you like the 50's Russian look - Marine View is for you. You can pick up one cheap for about $59k or so but they are small. Check with some Realtors too of course. Like one member said, Ketchikan is not the best jumping off point to any other Alaska or lower 48 travels. Keep in mind, the beauty is amazing but with 80 percent cloudy / rainy days, this will wear on any newcomer... But when it is sunny, take off work and get to the outdoors. Good luck. Keep in mind, if you buy one of the cheapest condos in the city, the challenge is trying to sell it too. It may sell in a few months or a few years. Some have been sitting for quite some time.

Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedaleader View Post
If you like the 50's Russian look - Marine View is for you. You can pick up one cheap for about $59k or so but they are small. Check with some Realtors too of course. Like one member said, Ketchikan is not the best jumping off point to any other Alaska or lower 48 travels. Keep in mind, the beauty is amazing but with 80 percent cloudy / rainy days, this will wear on any newcomer... But when it is sunny, take off work and get to the outdoors. Good luck. Keep in mind, if you buy one of the cheapest condos in the city, the challenge is trying to sell it too. It may sell in a few months or a few years. Some have been sitting for quite some time.
For seasonal residents the Marine View and Tongass Towers condos are more then adequate. The OP said they wanted to spend their time in southeast not visit Barrow and Bethel. Lots of areas to explore in southeast. You could spend a lifetime doing just that.

Old 01-04-2021, 10:09 AM

10,547 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Be sure to bring snorkels. Over 30 inches of rain fell in K town during both November and December this past year.
https://www.kinyradio.com/news/news-...theast-alaska/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska