Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 09:05 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,963,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
That's everywhere, Even where I live. Coldest day I have seen where I live is 8F, and -19F about an hour from where I live. They complain about the heat, then they complain about the cold. When I was camping this past July, in the morning it was around 64F and humid from an overnight rain, and there were 2 people with me wearing sweaters and shivering. I couldn't believe it.
64 on a July morning in Alaska? Sounds very warm for Alaska, even for SoCal it's rather warm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 07:10 PM

120 posts, read 166,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moreau36 View Post
The worst thing to do is to move to a place based on political affiliation. There are pros and cons everywhere. Alaska, although mostly Republican, have Democrat areas as well. (i.e. Anchorage Bowl and many of the bush areas up north and west).

On that point, the point of moving to Alaska just to escape something, you're going to have a very miserable time here. This is just my opinion.
I feel the need to interject as I am in a similar situation again after leaving Arizona for the same reasons as the OP. It isn't necessarily Republican vs Democrat Politics when speaking about the California plague going on in the Western U.S.

I lived a long time in an awesome town in AZ. It was a very Moderate/Libertarian type of town. Not a lot of crime outside of disorderly conduct type stuff, Cowboys riding horses up and down the streets ect type town. I bought a home there, free of the HOA garbage and started and put my business there.

Unfortunately came the California wave. First came the whining and gnashing of teeth over horse feces on the sides of the road and they got ordinances in place you couldn't take your horses on the roads anymore. Out moved the Western folks. Next we will use my home as an example. My block filled up with 'em within a few years.

The first issue I had to face was a neighbor coming onto my property to explain my work vehicle, a Diesel pickup truck was too loud when I start it in the morning and wakes them up. I was also told a construction truck would drive house prices down and was an eyesore, so can I please move it? The answer was no, no I cannot. I will park my truck on MY property if I choose to do so and I cannot help if it wakes you up because you are a light sleeper.

Anyways, to cut the story short the crybaby went and got other crybabies freshly moved into our town to whine and protest the small business owners doing any business at their homes and got the City Council to bend. I sold the house and left after I would have had to spwnd $50,000 to make my home pass regulations.

There were other issues as well with neighbors from the Worst Coast trying to impose their BS on me and my other neighbors and politicking the Gov't to
get their way.

That isn't even touching on the water shortages being caused because they have to have pools, palm trees and grass "like I had in Cali." Or driving home prices up, car insurance due to their inability to handle a basic task like safely driving a car ect.

Or the lack of respect and constant whining and complaining that Arizona, or Nevada, or Utah sucks and is inferior to where they came from in every regard every chance they get. Or going out of their way to be jerkoffs to the local festivities such as sports. An example would be Arizonas local sports teams such as the MLB Diamondbacks several times have went to elementary schools to give back to the community and to lwt the kids throw baseballs and get pics taken. NUMEROUS times they have been met by parents showing up in lame ass L.A. Dodger garbage and getting flipped off and heckled the whole time.

THAT is why when Californians move in they are hated and everyone moves out. They leave where they are from because it is a polluted toilet only to work as hard as possible into turning where they moved to into a clone of where they left. They never support where they moved to or embrace it.

I totally get where the OP is coming from and they aren't a bad person for seeing it that way. Most folks in the Western US feel the exact same way.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:39 PM

894 posts, read 2,202,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
I feel the need to interject as I am in a similar situation again after leaving Arizona for the same reasons as the OP. It isn't necessarily Republican vs Democrat Politics when speaking about the California plague going on in the Western U.S.

I lived a long time in an awesome town in AZ. It was a very Moderate/Libertarian type of town. Not a lot of crime outside of disorderly conduct type stuff, Cowboys riding horses up and down the streets ect type town. I bought a home there, free of the HOA garbage and started and put my business there.

Unfortunately came the California wave. First came the whining and gnashing of teeth over horse feces on the sides of the road and they got ordinances in place you couldn't take your horses on the roads anymore. Out moved the Western folks. Next we will use my home as an example. My block filled up with 'em within a few years.

The first issue I had to face was a neighbor coming onto my property to explain my work vehicle, a Diesel pickup truck was too loud when I start it in the morning and wakes them up. I was also told a construction truck would drive house prices down and was an eyesore, so can I please move it? The answer was no, no I cannot. I will park my truck on MY property if I choose to do so and I cannot help if it wakes you up because you are a light sleeper.

Anyways, to cut the story short the crybaby went and got other crybabies freshly moved into our town to whine and protest the small business owners doing any business at their homes and got the City Council to bend. I sold the house and left after I would have had to spwnd $50,000 to make my home pass regulations.

There were other issues as well with neighbors from the Worst Coast trying to impose their BS on me and my other neighbors and politicking the Gov't to
get their way.

That isn't even touching on the water shortages being caused because they have to have pools, palm trees and grass "like I had in Cali." Or driving home prices up, car insurance due to their inability to handle a basic task like safely driving a car ect.

Or the lack of respect and constant whining and complaining that Arizona, or Nevada, or Utah sucks and is inferior to where they came from in every regard every chance they get. Or going out of their way to be jerkoffs to the local festivities such as sports. An example would be Arizonas local sports teams such as the MLB Diamondbacks several times have went to elementary schools to give back to the community and to lwt the kids throw baseballs and get pics taken. NUMEROUS times they have been met by parents showing up in lame ass L.A. Dodger garbage and getting flipped off and heckled the whole time.

THAT is why when Californians move in they are hated and everyone moves out. They leave where they are from because it is a polluted toilet only to work as hard as possible into turning where they moved to into a clone of where they left. They never support where they moved to or embrace it.

I totally get where the OP is coming from and they aren't a bad person for seeing it that way. Most folks in the Western US feel the exact same way.
Was that Wickenburg, Prescott, Gilbert or Scottsdale?

Old 10-17-2020, 07:57 AM

120 posts, read 166,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurNextAdventure View Post
Was that Wickenburg, Prescott, Gilbert or Scottsdale?
Apache Junction, actually. You just made my point for me though so thank you! It "wasn't just me" and anyone living in AZ can name numerous towns the same thing has happened in. AJ, Gold Canyon, Gilbert, East Mesa, Chandler, Ahwatukee, Peoria, Fraudsdale with all the 50k millionaires in their leased cars, Cave Creek, Wickenburg, Marana, Oro Valley ect ect. Even Queen Creek got that way.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:36 PM

2,795 posts, read 5,616,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post

Anyways, to cut the story short the crybaby went and got other crybabies freshly moved into our town to whine and protest
Not sure if it's still an issue, but I know 20, 30 years ago a lot of smaller, general avation airports were getting shut down. Developers would buy up the land around it, 'cause it was cheap 'cause of all the airplane noise. People would buy homes there, and then go in-mass, 200 people strong to the city council or local government and complain of all the airplane noise and it was hurting their property values.

Old 10-19-2020, 04:44 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
I am from California . There are people from all different backgrounds here, all different political affiliations, and real estate is very expensive.

Based on what you've said here, I suggest you look in West Virginia. It's very green there, real estate is very cheap, they get all four seasons, and the politics will suit you.
Riceme, you'r a Californian???? Did you already buy the hills around Fairbanks? Will you be our new mayor, and pass a 5-cent fuel tax?

~Just kidding with you

Old 10-19-2020, 07:52 PM

2,383 posts, read 3,104,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Riceme, you'r a Californian???? Did you already buy the hills around Fairbanks? Will you be our new mayor, and pass a 5-cent fuel tax?

~Just kidding with you
I am, I did, it's 8.5%, and cabin farm rentals are now $1400/mo plus utilities. The Super Walmart on the corner of Ballaine and Goldstream Road opens next month.

Old 10-21-2020, 11:31 AM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
i am, i did, it's 8.5%, and cabin farm rentals are now $1400/mo plus utilities. The super walmart on the corner of ballaine and goldstream road opens next month.
LOL

I do believe that the city assembly was trying to implement a 5-cent fuel tax. Just imagine what that could do to city residents!

Old 10-21-2020, 12:30 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
The answer is yes, although not necessarily about only Californians moving in, just residents from all States who tend to be liberal about taxes and other left-leaning issues. These folks have already figured how to change the State and local laws to duplicate what they have done in the places they come from. In other words, they screw-up the place they are from, and move on to the next. One of the first things to do to change things is to run for office (school boards, city and borough assemblies, etc.).

Now, relating to the Second Amendment: Vermont is a very liberal state, but its residents are pro-gun ownership. The majority may be liberal about a lot of issues, but not about gun ownership. Crime is relatively low compared to other States, too.
Overlooked, is the people escaping high tax states who move elsewhere are conservative types who won't vote for higher taxes, even though the locals may want the added benefits.

1 out of 3 that have moved to Las Vegas/Sinless City (lived there 22 years) came from California and, believe me, they are one conservative anti-tax crowd of people. Las Vegas, underneath the neon and glitter, is basically a conservative city to start with, and the Californians will only make it more conservative.

Las Vegas is one of the last big cities to have any light rail system (never mind the kiddy train/monorail which serves only tourists) and the last big city to even have an Art Museum. Oh yeah, they have the Mob and Neon Museums but you won't find a Dali or Picasso inside.

When I left this conservative, stuck-in-the-1960's, backwards city 2 years ago, I was cheering the RTC in their proposal to bring the first light rail line from the Airport to downtown Las Vegas via Maryland Ave., and, I all but cried to learn that it was going to be put before the voters, alternative being Rapid Bus Transit, and need I tell you the outcome?

Laughingly, over the 22 years, the cry was to vote Republican/no tax increases, and something rather funny happened along the way, the last Governor Sandoval, Republican, presided over the biggest tax increase in NV history, and in 2005, Governor Gibbons, Republican, presided over the 2nd biggest tax increase in NV history. Gee whiz! Voters can't tell the difference between a Republican and a RINO?

Phoenix has attracted a number of Californians and, when I left there in 1993, there was estimated to be 400,000 Chicago escapees (from high taxation) living there, some even dubbing Phoenix, New Chicago. And during that timeframe Phoenix elected the Toughest Shefiff In America, Arpaio. What does that tell you about the conservatism in Phoenix. Me? Coming from super-super-liberal Minneapolis, missing liberalism, I opted to retire here in the Blue Island of the SW, Tucson.

So don't you worry about people moving to Alaska from high tax states, thinking they'll want the same benefits of the states they're leaving. A bigger worry is it might make Alaska more conservative. They may even vote to discontinue local bus service in Anchorage!

Old 10-21-2020, 12:59 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So don't you worry about people moving to Alaska from high tax states, thinking they'll want the same benefits of the states they're leaving. A bigger worry is it might make Alaska more conservative. They may even vote to discontinue local bus service in Anchorage!
The influx of relocating middle-income and working class conservatives into SouthCentral Alaska for many years has directly contributed to the power that area holds in state government, directly causing cutbacks in state services to residents in other parts of the state, including transportation, particularly (but not limited to) coastal Southeast Alaska. Republicans in Southeast are going to need to have a reckoning over how big of a tent the Alaska Republican Party really is, when their fellow members are crapping all over them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska