Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 11:16 AM

27 posts, read 158,383 times

Advertisements

Not necessarily Tuscaloosa. Is a one horse town. I've lived all over Alabama and it is as diverse topography and culture as anywhere in the U.S., which I've also lived all over.

I'm originally from Gadsden, and Gadsden is a good place to be "from". Like many present day Floridian's, I'm planning to move (back) to Alabama.

Some of the reasons:
- Slightly milder summers than Florida
- Slightly fewer bugs and less "varieties".
- Slightly fewer multi-cultural, multi-ethnic groups.
- Slightly cheaper utilities.
- Whole lot less taxes.
- Slightly cheaper gasoline.
- Morals are higher, at least from what I've seen (I'm an ex-Ethics professor for a major university).
- More sense of patriotism.
- People less up tight and down to earth (exclude Huntsvile) :-)
- Native beauty of your surroundings are your beck and call, and chosing where you live dictates their nature. You're going to have "water" anywhere you live in Alabama.
- Schools are much better than the unjust media's reporting. But you have to be SURE you live in a less multicultural area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 AM

85 posts, read 524,656 times
Default Trying to be positive

I'm not coming up with anything.

Old 08-23-2006, 04:14 PM

156 posts, read 792,413 times
Well, at least I know it's not just me.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:03 PM

4 posts, read 17,729 times
SEC Football, southern belles, reasonable housing and utility costs, lakes galore, wild life..indoors and out, southern belles.. if you've got air conditioning Alabama is as good as any place on earth. AND, the place is full of democrats that vote Republican. Did I mention southern belles?

Old 08-24-2006, 06:55 PM

485 posts, read 1,455,572 times
I can only speak for Huntsville and I absolutely love it. There are a lot of mosquitoes in the summer, but I have seen very few roaches -- maybe it is far enough north in Al to keep them in control. The cost of living is much less than where I came from (Houston, TX). People are much friendlier, not nearly as much traffic, four seasons -- what more could you ask for.

Old 08-27-2006, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 15,330 times
I moved to Alabama 12 years ago from So California and still have not adjusted to it, we're planning to move west again next year.

The "huge cockroaches" mentioned are most likely woods roaches, also called waterbugs, palmetto bugs, they are found in areas with high humidity. Don't confuse these bugs with the common cockroach that infests your kitchen, their natural habitat is woodsy and under layers of leaves where it's moist. They can end up inside your home but it's by accident, they're not looking for your kitchen. They're very active thru the summer/early fall months, usually after dark. The male is attracted to light and will fly around at night looking for a mate. The more rural you are, the more likely you are to see them. They're really harmless, they don't bite, the most intimidating thing about them, imo, is their size and they can move very quickly. If they do get indoors, they only live a few days, it's too dry inside. Regular bug spray doesn't do much to them, wasp/hornet spray will usually stop them cold, but don't expect to eradicate them completely, it's probably not possible.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,760 times
not originally being from AL, one positive thing i can say is that the people are genuine & they take the time to be friendly...even to strangers. their laid-back attitude allows them to take the time to be courteous & friendly towards one another. i love the people here. that's why i haven't left--and won't! but, i am down in south alabama, on the beach. i am not as familiar with areas further north in AL, but i would assume that the people there are still the same laid-back, genuine, caring type of people that i have encountered down here.

Old 08-29-2006, 07:22 PM

21 posts, read 205,843 times
Well, I've lived in Tuscaloosa most of my life and my roots are deep. If my roots weren't so deep, I would be packing the car and getting the heck out of here. Main reasons are the heat, humidity, HUGE flying bugs, I don't hunt, I'm not Baptist, and I have a few liberal leanings. But, my career is here, my kids are here, my elderly parents are here, and it's not worth it to me to pull up and go somewhere new.

Now, the good about Alabama. I know several people from large northern cities such as Chicago and Philadelphia that have relocated to Tuscaloosa and love it. They like the heat, they like to hunt and fish, our property taxes are almost non-existant and the people are friendly. One guy I knew sold his house in southern New Jersey and bought a house 40 miles south of Tuscaloosa. He paid cash for 40 acres, a lake and a barn and had money left over to fix up the house. Since his 40 acres are undeveloped his property taxes are just a few hundred dollars a year. If you don't mind driving a bit, you can get really cheap property in small towns. Life is slower paced in the small towns too. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:32 AM

156 posts, read 792,413 times
Question Property Taxes in AL

Yes, property taxes are almost non-existent in AL but don't you think that the result of this benefit is the generally poor educational system in AL?

Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 AM

12 posts, read 88,618 times
My father lives in AL, which is a good enough reason for me.....LOL

I lived there one summer a couple years ago and you know what I just loved it. We lived around Lay Lake and it was a great small town and everybody waved as you drove by and always smiled. It was a complete different life for me seeing I come from the city.

Another great thing about Alabama is that people live to be into their 100's because of the life style, more slow paced and laid back. I often wondered if they had the right idea. It was hard for me to adjust because of the slow pace and again that is because I come from the city of hussle and bussle and always in a stressful enviroment.

I don't know where you relocated from but you've made a good move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama